ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #76
wtrlogd
IBA#23793

Oddometer: 338
gentry
Haven't ridin' two up yet. Wife's afraid, :)
I also waffled between the 'strom 1000 and the Tiger.
Ended up buying the Tiger after riding a friend's '01, never did take a ride on the Strom.
Mine is stock except for the sheepskin buttpad, race pipe, centerstand and I cut windshield off as short as possible.

Downsides:
-Some sorta' clunk in the frontend, from the Tiger forums it seems most '05's have it.. noboby seems to know what it is, I'll have it fixed once someone else figures it out (1 more year on the warranty), I've gotten use to it and I'm starting to think it's just the fairing.
-Although it takes large potholes and dips with no problem, it doesn't do well on bad washboard. I'll be playing with the dampining, this could just be set-up.
-Headlights could be better
-No helmet lock
-No underseat storage
-Too quiet, in stock form

Pros:
-The power delivery is great, wide power band and still pulls nice into the upper RPM's. It's a blast to ride!
-Love the handling/feel
-Just did a Saddlesore1000, could have continued, no problem.

This might not matter to some, but, being as it is British, I can still sometimes ride with guys like my brother (HD) that would give me shit over buying a "jap" bike (I've owned several, street & dirt). I went on a Harley ride and the Tiger turned more heads than if I'd been on a Fatboy, just because it is less common.
Bottom line: I can ride with Harleys, hang with streetbikes or hit the logging roads.
Kent
wtrlogd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #77
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Tork, if you want to meet up we are meeting at the Workshop Tavern in Redmond. If you're in Duvall you would want to come out novilty hill and get on 520. Take off on the westlake Samamish exit and go strait throu the light. The tavern will be approx 2 blocks on the left side its a very ugly looking red building. There is a little espresso stand on the side of the tavern. I will be there at approx 6:40ish and having a cup of joe waiting for Lacey to show up. If you don't know exactly where to go and you want to meet up pm me and I will send you my cell phone number.
I know where the Workshop Tav is, I will be there around 6:40. See ya there
Old 09-27-2005, 05:25 AM   #78
SimplyMe
Adventure of the Heart

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne
Your more than welcome to attend! Meeting at Mitzels restaurant in Poulsbo at 9am (It will be on your way)
Take highway 3 to Poulsbo, take the second Poulsbo exit, go right, restaurant will be on your right after about a mile. What are you riding?
See you there! What do you do in Bremerton?
Just my luck... looks to be a good day tomorrow and I have to work in the afternoon. Will have to take a up another invite another day. Thanks.

I have an 05' Suzuki DRz400SM, work @ Jimmy "D"s in Belfaire.
SimplyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:15 AM   #79
mr. matteeanne OP
Barned

Oddometer: 14,264
Bring food in Gut, and we will get lunch in Sequim after Quilcene Sequim run.

I have no idea where to have Lunch in Sequim though, I guess we play it by ear. And just pray the eye infection is not contagious.

If anyone misses the ferry, perhaps you can find us aroung Hurricane. Strongly suggest that you try penny creek road though, take it up and then back, then 101 up to Hurricane ridge.
To find penny creek road, head to Quilcene, south, after the Ranger station about 1 mile right side of road, sorta forks off, youll go past a quarry. Road goes from paved to dirt to paved, second paved section is abandoned public road, light it up!
Concerns::!! Loggers, Gravel trucks, Hikers, slow in blind curves or else! Stay to mountain side of road so if you bail you bail into a wall and not off a cliff (there are plenty!)
Old 09-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #80
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 261
A message to wtrlgd and others:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrlogd
KingO,

What software is the route in? If it is Garmin, could you email the route to wtrlogd@yahoo.com ?

Wtrlgd and others:

My name is David, owner/operator of GripTwister Tours and producer of the Olympics Loop Self-Guided GPS Tour that KingO purchased from me, and for which you asked a copy. I sell the complete package at my website which you can access by clicking on my signature line below. As a fellow motorcycle operator and struggling businessman in the line of unique dualsport tours and products, I beg of you to not undermine my business by seeking illegal copies of the routes which you asked KingO to send you. Instead, please consider purchasing the entire package, which comes with a booklet with laminated pages for taking with you on your ride, that has much detailed information on the routes, including campsites, points of interest, fuel locations and descriptions and helpful information for each of the routes. The CD-Rom accompanying the booklet has the routes, tracks, and waypoints in both Garmin MapSource and Magellan MapSend formats.

I only sell tens of these Oly Loop tours a year, so the small profits I make only partially fund the cost of revising the tour each year, keeping it up to date and relevant. It's a huge task that is very time consuming. Please don't undermine my contribution to dualsporting and my ability to continue offering this self-guided tour by accepting or giving copies illegally. Others on this board will tell you what a bargain it is at full price. I know it can seem like such a distant idea that someone actually gets hurt when you use illegal copies of software, especially when it's a huge corporation being cheated, but I'm here to tell you that you will be hurting an honest, dualsport riding "little guy" by doing it this time.

I look forward to your purchase soon.

Sincerely,

David McKay
GripTwister Tours

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #81
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
gentry
Haven't ridin' two up yet. Wife's afraid, :)
I also waffled between the 'strom 1000 and the Tiger.
Ended up buying the Tiger after riding a friend's '01, never did take a ride on the Strom.
Mine is stock except for the sheepskin buttpad, race pipe, centerstand and I cut windshield off as short as possible.

Downsides:
-Some sorta' clunk in the frontend, from the Tiger forums it seems most '05's have it.. noboby seems to know what it is, I'll have it fixed once someone else figures it out (1 more year on the warranty), I've gotten use to it and I'm starting to think it's just the fairing.
-Although it takes large potholes and dips with no problem, it doesn't do well on bad washboard. I'll be playing with the dampining, this could just be set-up.
-Headlights could be better
-No helmet lock
-No underseat storage
-Too quiet, in stock form

Pros:
-The power delivery is great, wide power band and still pulls nice into the upper RPM's. It's a blast to ride!
-Love the handling/feel
-Just did a Saddlesore1000, could have continued, no problem.

This might not matter to some, but, being as it is British, I can still sometimes ride with guys like my brother (HD) that would give me shit over buying a "jap" bike (I've owned several, street & dirt). I went on a Harley ride and the Tiger turned more heads than if I'd been on a Fatboy, just because it is less common.
Bottom line: I can ride with Harleys, hang with streetbikes or hit the logging roads.
Kent

Thanks for the info!
Im biding my time. I know what the 06 Tiger is about, just gotta see what the 2006 Vstrom ends up being like...

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:40 PM   #82
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave
Wtrlgd and others:

My name is David, owner/operator of GripTwister Tours and producer of the Olympics Loop Self-Guided GPS Tour that KingO purchased from me, and for which you asked a copy. I sell the complete package at my website which you can access by clicking on my signature line below. As a fellow motorcycle operator and struggling businessman in the line of unique dualsport tours and products, I beg of you to not undermine my business by seeking illegal copies of the routes which you asked KingO to send you. Instead, please consider purchasing the entire package, which comes with a booklet with laminated pages for taking with you on your ride, that has much detailed information on the routes, including campsites, points of interest, fuel locations and descriptions and helpful information for each of the routes. The CD-Rom accompanying the booklet has the routes, tracks, and waypoints in both Garmin MapSource and Magellan MapSend formats.

I only sell tens of these Oly Loop tours a year, so the small profits I make only partially fund the cost of revising the tour each year, keeping it up to date and relevant. It's a huge task that is very time consuming. Please don't undermine my contribution to dualsporting and my ability to continue offering this self-guided tour by accepting or giving copies illegally. Others on this board will tell you what a bargain it is at full price. I know it can seem like such a distant idea that someone actually gets hurt when you use illegal copies of software, especially when it's a huge corporation being cheated, but I'm here to tell you that you will be hurting an honest, dualsport riding "little guy" by doing it this time.

Sincerely,

David McKay
GripTwister Tours
Dave well put.

May I add that he has also put together a few rides for us to attend at no cost to the riders. He will take you back to places that are just plan flat out cool. For him to afford to do this he needs to turn a proffit just like anybody. I do not own a gps yet but when I do he has my bussiness.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #83
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Wtrlgd and others:

Sincerely,

David McKay
GripTwister Tours

Hi Dave,
How's the back?

Chad

Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 PM   #84
mr. matteeanne OP
Barned

Was a great ride, thanks to all who attended. Perhaps next time instead of destinations we can explore more side roads, and perhaps Toothy can find a most suitable dirt bike than a Hardley Davidson!
Thanks again everyone!
Sean
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #85
wtrlogd
IBA#23793

BajaDave,
Thanks for the information and link. I was not trying to get illiegal software, didn't realize the source was a business. Hey I'm a nOOb.
KingO did not send it, so all's good.
I will check out your site.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #86
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne
Was a great ride, thanks to all who attended. Perhaps next time instead of destinations we can explore more side roads, and perhaps Toothy can find a most suitable dirt bike than a Hardley Davidson!
Thanks again everyone!
Sean
Sean thanks for leading the way, it was a very nice ride today.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 PM   #87
wtrlogd
IBA#23793

I also wanted to thank matteeanne for putting on the ride, and all the others for letting me tag along.

My return trip took an extra half hour, the Hood Canal Bridge was open:

Only one "view" picture:

That's all I have, except for my GPS tracks:
Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 AM   #88
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
BajaDave,
Thanks for the information and link. I was not trying to get illiegal software, didn't realize the source was a business. Hey I'm a nOOb.
KingO did not send it, so all's good.
I will check out your site.
Thanks Kent, I really appreciate your understanding on this, and your support would be very welcomed and appreciated.

Chad, the back is in a bad way, unfortunately, but the surgery set for next week will make me a moto-riding fool once again. Doctor says I'll be back in racing form by December. Unfortunately, doc said I had to quit the anti-inflammatories in preperation for the procedure... owwee! Thanks for asking. If I die in surgery, you can have my sheepskin buttpad.

Lookin' forward to riding again soon.

Dave

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:42 AM   #89
mr. matteeanne OP
Barned

too funny, I have the same exact pics of Submarine, I must have been about 300 feet behind you!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #90
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Thanks Kent, I really appreciate your understanding on this, and your support would be very welcomed and appreciated.

Chad, the back is in a bad way, unfortunately, but the surgery set for next week will make me a moto-riding fool once again. Doctor says I'll be back in racing form by December. Unfortunately, doc said I had to quit the anti-inflammatories in preperation for the procedure... owwee! Thanks for asking. If I die in surgery, you can have my sheepskin buttpad.

Lookin' forward to riding again soon.

Dave

Good luck with that all. I had half a vetebrae cut out in my t-spine a few years ago. Very risky but it was worth it. I found that once I was off the pain meds it hurt but I actually felt much better. I went wheelchair to walker to brace for some time but all's well. Surgeons do amazing stuff. I wish you the best in your procedure and recovery.

Cheers

Chad