Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
GXM 40 antenna in car

I have purchased a zumo 665 and I have a question with respect to the GXM 40 antenna. 2 out of 3 reps from XM told me that multiple antennas can be included with a single receiver. While this may be true for "normal" receivers, I think the GXM 40 antenna itself is the registered device; adding a second antenna for the car would require a second subscription.

Have any of you successfully used the GXM 40 antenna inside cars (i.e. dash-mounted and not installed outside the car like on the roof)?

I need to be able to swap between bike and car to make this deal worth it. Why is it so hard to get accurate info from XM? Don't they train these folks that answer he phone?
DarkFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
dravnx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
mayby probably

The antenna has to be able to see the sats. Place it as far forward on the dash as you can and it will probably work. If it doesn't work, it will only fail depending on which direction your driving, how much of the sky the antenna can see, how far out from under the roof of your car the antenna is placed. So as you see, nobody can say it will or will not definetely work for your installation. And yes, each antenna is also the receiver and each needs it's own subscription.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
The antenna has to be able to see the sats. Place it as far forward on the dash as you can and it will probably work. If it doesn't work, it will only fail depending on which direction your driving, how much of the sky the antenna can see, how far out from under the roof of your car the antenna is placed. So as you see, nobody can say it will or will not definetely work for your installation. And yes, each antenna is also the receiver and each needs it's own subscription.
Fair enough Dravnx. I just need to know that it is not impossible to work with the XM puck inside a vehicle.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Really???

This just in from XM:

"Please be advised that you can have one subscription for your Garmin Zumo 665 and use it on your different vehicles (with appropriate accessories/antennas installed).

Please note that each subscription to the satellite radio service is tied to one receiver."

Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
The GXM 40 is the radio, as well as the antenna. The Zumo is just the control head. The GXM 40 has the identifier that gets registered with XM. That being said, my GXM 30 works well in the cab of my pickup and is marginal but mostly usable inside my garage as long as the door is open.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Good info Steve W. I should be able to move the antenna with the zumo and get okay results in the car.

I am still amazed that I have what I have from XM in writing. My question specifically referenced the GXM 40 antenna and the zumo 665......