Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I went around a bridge out in Quebec, one in NH and a closed road in Wyoming.
Not a issue on these detours
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #32
lazeebum
n00b

Oddometer: 5
At least they were nice about citing you.
lazeebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Ohio's known for rebuilding bridges during the summer, but the detours are well marked and usually only a few miles longer.

Not always. Having lived here all my life and having had a father that was a DOT traffic control engineer I can vouch for the fact that they aren't always only a few miles longer. ODOT will usually only use state and US routes for detours, sometimes adding far more than a few miles to a detour. I also can tell you that by experience. Now county, city, and township detours may use immediate roadways. The state has to be careful due to both volume and GVW when running detours.

Oh, and "well marked" will depend on the ODOT division or local government as to how well they mark a route. Some are good, some are horrible.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #34
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Not always. Having lived here all my life and having had a father that was a DOT traffic control engineer I can vouch for the fact that they aren't always only a few miles longer. ODOT will usually only use state and US routes for detours, sometimes adding far more than a few miles to a detour. I also can tell you that by experience. Now county, city, and township detours may use immediate roadways. The state has to be careful due to both volume and GVW when running detours.
This is generally true in Vermont, as well; as I understand it, the state AOT needs local permission to use local roadways when detouring a state highway. The results can vary from slightly longer to downright absurd.
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #35
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
So, bomber. How much did that closed road cost you in fines?
Yeah, and what the hell were the bike cops doing sitting there any way? Nothing going on? Road closed sting? Donuts?
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #36
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Yeah, and what the hell were the bike cops doing sitting there any way?
Probably working off duty for the construction company, to deter asshats from cutting through the construction zone.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #37
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Yeah, and what the hell were the bike cops doing sitting there any way? Nothing going on? Road closed sting? Donuts?
I want to know where they found the vision impaired Cop and actually had him on a patrol bike! Did you see the magnification on those spectacles?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #38
LRH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I rode into the Merriwether Lewis (of Lewis and Clark explorers) National Monument past the barrier last Fall during the infamous park closures. I had been planning to go there a couple months in advance so I wasn't going to change my plans. I'm sure I could have been in trouble but no park ranger to be seen. Small place anyhow so I was inside, got my photo of monument and was out again within minutes. A Nashville news reporter was there for the annual event that got moved out of the park to a field nearby, almost told her I was going in there and decided not to. Hush-hush, top secret.

Around the same time but different State I was trying to get around the northern end of a long, deep valley where a Civil War reenactment took place at the southern end (fastest road was along ridge not inside valley, probably a mistake). Smartphone GPS map showed shortest route to next destination, got to where a sign said Local Traffic Only and I didn't see anything else. Thought maybe road work. After a couple miles I see a large bridge far ahead being built with no middle. A Bridge Out sign would have helped me.

And one time in my car on the freeway I mistook a All Vehicles Must Exit sign to be the same as the previous one saying All Trucks Must Exit. 2 different exits but I thought they were just trying to get all the trucks off the road and it was causing a traffic jam. It was for a sinkhole repair. Earlier in the day I was driving the other direction and saw they had one lane open to traffic, so I thought the same when I returned at night. Traffic was backed up half mile and one other car ahead of me in the left lane drove onto the median to move up past traffic. I did the same but noticed they had only pulled back in. I didn't, kept going. And then I saw it, too late, 3 big concrete blocks placed across both lanes in the darkness of the bridge overpass. I slowly skirted around them intending to cross the median afterward, only good place to do so was a couple hundred yards further. The sinkhole repair work was a couple miles away still, so I figured no harm done. Well, it pissed off a State Trooper who stopped me before I got to the exit ramp on the other side. Yelled at me a few minutes, and a 2nd Trooper joined in saying 'you could be going to jail right now' as I tried explaining between their rants. Cost me hundreds of dollars for the fine, I forget now exactly how much but was several hundred.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
So, bomber. How much did that closed road cost you in fines?

Sorry not me or my video.........besides I carry an FOP membership card and have walked on every potential ticket.

........If ya can't beat'em......join'em

bomber1965 screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 06:36 PM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #40
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Warning Sign: "Road Closed, Proceed at Own Risk"

Me: *Proceeds at Road's Own Risk
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #41
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
I read an article someplace about some mountain bikers who chose to ride down into the Grand Canyon during the closure, and got caught. Lost all eight of their bikes, got arrested, all kinds of fun stuff. Don't even get me started on the worthless "public officials" and that BS.

Way back when that road up to Big Bear got washed out (Winter 2010 I think) in SoCal, I wanted badly to go see the wash-out in person. I rode up a dirt trail that was 50 miles from San Bernardino one way and came to a locked gate and a bunch of big boulders I just couldn't get over. Or I would have. Ended up riding back down. Just as well, as I later read that CHP actually patrolled that stretch of road because of that sort of thing. I hate cops.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #42
LRH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
That Grand Canyon thing reminded me of Mount St. Helens and the Red Zone back in May 1980, took my dad's International Scout pickup truck there the morning of that eruption (only one of many beginning months before). Not easy to remember or forget.
There's some real good reasons for these things to keep people safe, and it's just human nature to test those boundaries.
Imagine a world where you're on your own, no information and free to do anything, well that wouldn't do for everyone else so some people like to have rules for everything. Sure, sometimes to incredibly obtuse extent but I don't mind the general idea.

Just remembered another, more recent, barrier-breaking at covered bridge, which spans 220 feet and is 70 feet at highest, built in 1934. It had some damage and always looked unsafe just to walk across even though it was driven over all the time up until then, and is open to traffic again now. While riding my Yamaha there I looked it over and decided I could move the nailed up orange and white planks to proceed through at both ends, putting them back after passing. Would have been a long detour for me to go around.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #43
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
This was my "Road Closed" experience... and my encounter with Barney Fife...

Quote:
This is the story of two old army buddies riding from Small Town, TX to Bloomington, IN. This wasn't our first ride to Bloomington. That happened in the beautiful Fall of 1975. We were soldiers once and young, to paraphrase the book title. The Vietnam war was over... we were almost carefree.

This trip was to celebrate our first ride, and to visit my daughter and son-in-law. Little did we know that we would encounter Barny, make his day, and that he would make ours...

On the third day of our trip, we had cruised up the Ohio River bottom and were headed to cross the Wabash. Our route avoided all slabs. We focused on finding the best moto roads... meaning two lane, twisting rural routes through small towns.

As we approached St. Francisville, IL, I noticed a banner proclaiming "Chestnut Festival, First Weekend in October!" Upon entering the pretty, little town it seemed as quiet and calm as my small hometown. Turning a corner, I noticed a couple of saw horses in the street... no orange cones, no "Road Closed", no detour signs... and no milling crowd of festival goers.

I eased my Bonny SE between the saw horses, thinking some teenager was pranking the locals. My wingman followed me as we dinked along in first gear. Only one block later, I encountered another couple of saw horses. These were closer together so I was careful not to catch a soft saddle bag as I passed between them.

Just as I cleared the horses, I heard a siren and saw the flashing lights as Barney raced up.

"STOP THE BIKES... GET OFF.... I SAID STOP THE BIKES!"

I slipped the gearbox into neutral and reached over to turn the key... but it wasn't fast enough for Barney.

"I SAID STOP THE BIKES RIGHT NOW!"

I killed it, put the kickstand down promptly, and got off. My wingman did the same. The mark of a good wingman is one who will follow the lead even when the lead is wrong.

I took off my Qwest and started taking my ass-chewing. Barney was nuclear. I apologized for traveling through the "barriers". As he continued to chew my ass. I tried to explain that I did not see a "Road Closed" sign or a detour route.

Barney asked for our drivers licenses as he continued chewing butt. He may have never seen a drivers license from Texas as he seemed to falter a bit.

"WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?", he asked.

My wingman replied, "I'm retired."

"FROM WHAT?"

"I worked in the oil patch."

"WHAT DO YOU DO?", he asked me.

"I"m retired, too. We were soldiers together, then..."

Barney interrupted me to say in a more normal tone of voice, "I respect soldiers, but you shouldn't have crossed my barricades. In my job, I do two things. I write tickets, and I chew ass."

As he handed back our licenses, he said, "You've just had your asses chewed. Have a nice day."

I couldn't resist. "Sir, I have had my ass chewed by some of the finest men in American. I'll now add your name to the list."

Barney finally laughed.

"Have you seen my bridge?", asked Barn.

"No sir."

"Well, you're in for an experience... have a nice day."

Barn returned to his patrol car while we put on our helmets and gloves.

I cranked up the Bonny SE and rode off, looking for Barney's Bridge across the Wabash. A mile or so later, I found myself riding across a narrow railroad trestle converted to a one-lane bridge. In lieu of rails, two rows of 2x6 planks were nailed to the crossties, each row being about 24 inches wide.

I carefully crossed the Wabash on Barney's Bridge with my wingman in close formation.
We're hoping to return during the last weekend in September rather than the first weekend in October... don't want to tempt ol' Barn a second time.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #44
YosemiteCruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 157
Well, what is it about "Road Closed" that you don't understand? The world would be a nicer place if people could follow the law.
YosemiteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #45
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,350
I'm wondering how some of the logic exhibited in this thread would pan out, if applied to this sign;

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote