User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
woolsocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Easter Bike Dump

I decided to take some backroads that I wasn't familiar with to the Easter family gathering. I missed a right turn I was supposed to take so I went down little ways to a spot where I could u-turn. Coming out of the U-Turn I hit a patch of sand on the far shoulder and must have grabbed the front brake and the front end washed out on me. I was going probably 10 mph or less, not really sure. The bike slid a couple feet and off the raised road and into the grass/ sand ditch. I fell on the road with my left hand/ elbow mainly hitting the ground and also hit the front of my helmet when I tumbled over. I have some scuffs on my jacket and helmet and a small hole in the glove. Can't imagine sliding down the road at faster speeds without gear...should probably invest in some armored pants...I was riding in jeans today, everything else was leather/ textile jacket, gloves and full face helmet.

Anyway, started the bike back up and walked it up the small embankment and turned it off so I could check it over for damage. I got a few scuffs on the left fairing and mirror but nothing too bad. Couldn't start the bike back up again so I had to walk it about a mile or so to the gathering spot. Had a few family members push me so I could pop the clutch and start it when I left. The starter motor clicks on, but when you hit the starter the bike just kills completely. If you push the bike the electric systems goes back on. Anyway, rode home after the Easter meal and the bike died about 10 miles from home while I was riding it out of a turn. Took me about 25 mins to run along side it and push start it by myself in some church parking lot.
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,078
What bike mate?
Someone will know the starting problem.

Oh, and gets some decent pants...what the hells wrong with you.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
woolsocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
What bike mate?
Someone will know the starting problem.

Oh, and gets some decent pants...what the hells wrong with you.
2006 Ninja 650R. I do need to get some proper pants. Been looking at the Aerostitch Tactical suits but need to save up to afford one currently and I've heard they're a few months out on production on some...
Old 04-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,078
Aerostitch Tactical suits, very spendy and unless you ride all year round not pratical.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
woolsocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
Aerostitch Tactical suits, very spendy and unless you ride all year round not pratical.
Not year round, but close. As long as there's no snow and ice, I'm normally out. There's too much snow, ice and bitter cold here for me to enjoy it or accept the risk in the winter. Normally been riding March/April to November/December depending on the weather. For the Aerostitch, it seems very convenient to have 1 dedicated riding suit to go over your clothes that is waterproof...no lugging around rain gear or changing out of riding gear when you get somewhere...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Sorry to hear about your fall. If you're looking for a pair of good riding pants but you don't want to look like Robocop, you might consider the Sliders brand. They're Kevlar-reinforced and have pockets for armor but they have some styles that you'd be able to leave on for casual settings. I've already wrecked at 45mph wearing the khakis. The rode tore slightly through the khaki but the Kevlar underneath held up well. Definitely beats regular jeans. Best wishes for fixing the bike!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Rob_NJ
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Bank Sensor

Could be the bank sensor malfunctioning after a tip over.
Rob_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
woolsocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Sorry to hear about your fall. If you're looking for a pair of good riding pants but you don't want to look like Robocop, you might consider the Sliders brand. They're Kevlar-reinforced and have pockets for armor but they have some styles that you'd be able to leave on for casual settings. I've already wrecked at 45mph wearing the khakis. The rode tore slightly through the khaki but the Kevlar underneath held up well. Definitely beats regular jeans. Best wishes for fixing the bike!
Thanks for the tip. It's nice being able to ride somewhere and hop off the bike being reasonably protected and looking presentable. Of course I'd rather be protected as a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NJ View Post
Could be the bank sensor malfunctioning after a tip over.
I agree. The kickstand sensor could also be faulty since the bike hit pretty hard on the left side. The slider protected the fairings, frame as far as I can tell but it's pretty scratched up from all the rocks, sand as it slid down the bank.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,229
I'm glad you're OK. I will admit I was laughing pretty hard at the mental picture of you running around with your bike in the church parking lot!

I've never had to do that, but I've had my moments…...

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I second the sliders

I second the sliders. They are sized big enough to go over regular jeans or even better light dockers. Get at least one pair to protect you till you save up for the Suite! Similar to an aerostitch in just take them off when I arrive (Not water proof though). In colder seasons I sometimes wear a smaller size all day. They are a bit warmer than regular jeans but not much.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote