Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
NorthernBoxer OP
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 547
Painting My R100R

Hello all-
I have a purple R100R and I want to get it painted black. I'm going to get a quality, professional job done and I will make sure they use a stock BMW color code. I'm also thinking of adding a nice white pinstripe to complete the look...

My question is: Will painting over the origional factory paint effect the value (negatively) or the future value of the machine? I hope to keep this bike for a very long time and I would hate to find out in the future that painting it drastically reduced it's value.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Scott in AK
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 618
Line-X is the way to go! No worries about scratches or cleaning. Survives sliding down the highway at 70 MPH also. Painting your R100R with a quality paint job should not affect resale value at all.
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,746
It's your bike and you plan to keep it for a long time, so paint it any damn color you want. Who cares about resale value, it's a motorcycle, not an investment.

BTW I think black would be much better than purple unless you're Prince...umm... I mean that guy who looks like Prince but no one really knows what his name is anymore.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
You don't need to use the special very expensive BMW black, for the most part black is black. When we tried to get a paint code from Harley for a customers bike they told us we needed to get thier paint that cost 2X as much so we just took one of his old parts and color matched it and painted with normal paint. There's no difference in the paint, it just cost more.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Kbrick
..the last open road...

Oddometer: 136
try the Wark shop

[QUOTE=Scott R100R]Hello all-
I have a purple R100R and I want to get it painted black. I'm going to get a quality, professional job done and I will make sure they use a stock BMW color code. I'm also thinking of adding a nice white pinstripe to complete the look...

My question is: Will painting over the origional factory paint effect the value (negatively) or the future value of the machine? I hope to keep this bike for a very long time and I would hate to find out in the future that painting it drastically reduced it's value.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Scott in AK[/QUOTE
Try Bob Wark at http://www.warkshop.com/ I have used his service to paint my K-RS, I took a tour of his place and came away very impressed with the gentleman and his work ethic and quality work.

"...like the philosopher Jagger once said, 'You can't always get what you want.'
Dr. G. House
Kbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
hudaji
n00b

Oddometer: 3
BMW colour charts

Hi ScottR100R,
Here is a site where you can find all the BMW Bike colours throughout the years.http://bmbikes.co.uk/colourcharts.htm
Might help you in deciding an origanal colur for your R100R.
Mine is a R100R, 1992, Colour Vert Turquoise Metallise #525. With BOXER stensil on the tank as per above charts 1993.
And I would definately paint it:-Purple
hudaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
hudaji
n00b

Oddometer: 3
BMW colour charts

Hi ScottR100R,
Here is a site where you can find all the BMW Bike colours throughout the years.http://bmbikes.co.uk/colourcharts.htm
Might help you in deciding an original colour for your R100R.
Mine is a R100R, 1992, Colour Vert Turquoise Metallise #525. With BOXER stensil on the tank as per above charts 1993.
And I would definately paint it:-Purple
hudaji is offline   Reply With Quote