Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
I teach the Total Control Program, and it is available in NY and I teach it in Tennessee as well. This is 10 times better than the MSF advanced program!

I took it as a student in 2006 and at the time I was already an MSF Rider Coach (Still am) it was the best thing I have ever done for my riding and to make me both safer and better. I did my first track day a few weeks later and the difference between my self and the other newbies on the track was amazing (And I was only riding a Ninja 500) So I went and worked to become and instructor for the program as well. I continue to look for and take more rider training but by far this was the best I have done.
This is good to know. I have been thinking about taking an advanced course. The local BMW dealer offers some that are a bit pricey and the MSF offers a cheap advanced rider course. I will look for a Total Control Program in my area.

EDIT: $300 for a one day class...yikes.

Thanantos screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 02:44 PM
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
This is good to know. I have been thinking about taking an advanced course. The local BMW dealer offers some that are a bit pricey and the MSF offers a cheap advanced rider course. I will look for a Total Control Program in my area.

EDIT: $300 for a one day class...yikes.
Not cheap, I agree, I will have to say for me it was the best money I have ever spent on training, and before you spend money on mods, think how much better that money would be spent on making yourself a better rider first. Regardless the program, I am always on the look out for more training for myself as well and try to take at least one different and more advanced class each year.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
wyomingriviera
Ghostface Killah

Oddometer: 260
I dropped $80 and a day of my life on the MSF experienced rider course. I'd been riding avidly for seven years prior to that. The class was held a pleasant 30 minute ride from my house, seemed totally worth it, I learned a few new tricks. No regrets. Oh, and it cut $2 off my yearly insurance bill!

I'd love to do a track day/race school, but they are a much bigger time and money commitment...
'07 DL650
wyomingriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I've been riding 3 years and have taken 2 courses so far (beginner ones) and I am signed up for number 3 in a couple weeks. It's the MSF Experienced Rider Course. I can report when I'm done. I'm more concerned about the slow speed control, turning and braking right now since I'm still a beginner/ intermediate rider, but I think that a track day would be best to practice the higher speed stuff. Maybe you can find a track near you that offers classes? I'm also signing up for a course here at a local track in June. They offer 4 phases from track begginers to advance racer programs.
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
sounds like maybe what I want is track day or racing classes, but the slow speed tech stuff doesnt sound like a bad idea. i'll look around and see what I can find in the area.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #21
cccolin OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
also, still wondering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
Anyone done Cornerspeed or Cornerspin?
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #22
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Jumping in here 'cause I've taken Cornerspin and Total Control.

Cornerspin is THE SH*T (should I just swear already?) Just fantastic and so much fun. Search the forum for more reviews, I know there have been some good write ups about it. Aaron Stevenson and his instructors are really great. I recommend this without reservation, for any level. I would like to make Cornerspeed happen at some point.

I liked Total Control, but depending on your level, you may not get much out of it. I received good instruction and feedback, and fixed at least one bad habit I didn't realize I had. (Took it in Woodbridge, VA). Its parking lot fundamentals, but is a good foundation for a track school. Reading a book is one thing, but you may not be executing the technique like you think you are, and having someone else look at you and correct you was valuable to me, even though we weren't going fast.

So far I'm pro advanced riding classes. 2/2 on good experiences that are worth it. I'm also not a fast or very naturally skilled rider (I'm not bad, perfectly competent for the street, but won't be scraping knee either, and not willing to try and keep up with the fast riders, so.....whatever that means).
Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #23
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Did the course in the uk..loved it so much, I qualified as an instructor.. Took 8/9 hour rides around uk, all different traffic scenarios, if the lead bike kept a constant 70 mph, the last in the group would be doing a ton catching up....the idea is to teach anticipation, hazard awareness, positioning on the road for the greatest view, use of momentum, and "restraint" ..if you plan, it's amazing how much progress you can make, without taking unnecessary risks... For out and out speed, no safer way to improve than doing track days....the instructors at the circuits will offer all kinds of usefull advice if you ask... Racing lines, brake points ect.....try something, you won't regret it..I'd really love o get back into it..
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 764
Track days and instruction are great for skills. For survival on the road try www.stayinsafe.com.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #25
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
Track days and instruction are great for skills. For survival on the road try www.stayinsafe.com.

Speaking of pricey....

I guess you gotta pay for quality education.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #26
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,234
I've done Supercamp. HIGHLY recommend it or Cornerspin based on what I know of it. You will have fun, and you will be a better rider.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:35 AM   #27
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I am taking the ERC this weekend. Looking forward to it.
I would also like to do some of the classes like Total Control or a track day, but the ERC seems like it will be a good value in terms of money and time.
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #28
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I took the BRC some 10-15 years ago. Even after riding all of my adult life I learned a lot. Returned for the ERC several years later, learned more. Not a track school but pretty good for learning and reinforcing slow speed control. I probably need to return and take another ERC to refresh my skills. I wish the MSF would bring out a class just for us grey beards to help us adapt to the slowing of our reflexes.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #29
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,321
I was self-taught and had ridden for over 20 years before I ever took a class. Went with my wife to a beginners riding school when she was getting her license, figured I'd offer her moral support. While I was better than the new students, I still leaned a lot.

That made me want to expand my knowledge farther so I took a Roadcraft Academy (local to me) course. It was awesome, much like the style that motor officers learn. Learned SO much. One of the instructors is a multiple Goldwing "Top Gun" winner, that guy can do things on his big 'Wing that are amazing.

All in all, I'm totally behind advanced training of any kind. More tools in the toolbox is always a good thing.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
"Corner Spin" actually looks and sounds awesome! I'm now thinking of taking their class sometime in June.

Vulfy screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 03:09 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote