Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #16
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,991
If your going to buy a cruiser you really should buy a Hog. Otherwise your just a poser posing as a poser. I am surprised the Japanese have not given up on the cruiser market. It is the last bike i would ever buy. In fact i might prefer to take the bus. Just kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #17
YosemiteCruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 157
The shadows are good solid motorcycles. I've known guys who rode the for tens of thousand of miles with no problems.

YosemiteCruiser screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 07:58 AM
YosemiteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #18
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
The 750cc Shadows aren't "performance" machines per se, but can hold their own with their direct compeditors such as the 883 Sportster ... could the VTs use a few more ponies? sure they could, but they are still great over-all motorcycles, perfectly capable of satisfying the needs of 98% of the Riders in the market for this type of Bike ...
All true. But a performance model, like a hot rodded RS with chain drive and whatnot, might be a good option for the lineup.

Making it 500lbs wet with about 60hp would certainly be an exciting little roadster, compared to the 40ish hp they now have off the floor.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteCruiser View Post
The shadows are good solid motorcycles. I've known guys who rode the for tens of thousand of miles with now problems.
They are. There's a guy in town who just clicked over 100k miles on his. It's a shaft drive model with nary a hiccup aside from regular maintenance and some fuel quality related issues.
Great little bikes.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
All true. But a performance model, like a hot rodded RS with chain drive and whatnot, might be a good option for the lineup.

Making it 500lbs wet with about 60hp would certainly be an exciting little roadster, compared to the 40ish hp they now have off the floor.
Just a question but do you think the HP stuff is a tad over rated in these small cruisers? My old XS650 had 40-something horses and other than solid mount vibration it carried my 200 lbs ass just fine.The suspension was kinda soggy for 2-up but it moved pretty good at reasonable speeds.I like smaller cruisers and think bikes have just gotten huge for the sake of not seeming feminine.I sat on all three new Indians and the wheelbase on the classic and vintage seemed really long and ponderous.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
kraven
Hegelian Scum

I think on a smaller cruiser or roadster (like the Shadow RS, Triumph Bonneville, etc) the addition of the right amount of power makes the bike fun. Very fun.

Yes, they're tractors, but having a shorter wheelbase bike with some ground clearance and 60-80hp is really very fun. Not talking stupid fast. Just wheelie prone and able to stand up out of a corner.

Also, the functional reason behind it is that I just don't like having to shift gears every few minutes. I live in the mountains and small displacement bikes have you rowing the shifter constantly. Even twins. Bumping the power is a good way to mitigate that.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #22
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I think on a smaller cruiser or roadster (like the Shadow RS, Triumph Bonneville, etc) the addition of the right amount of power makes the bike fun. Very fun.

Yes, they're tractors, but having a shorter wheelbase bike with some ground clearance and 60-80hp is really very fun. Not talking stupid fast. Just wheelie prone and able to stand up out of a corner.

Also, the functional reason behind it is that I just don't like having to shift gears every few minutes. I live in the mountains and small displacement bikes have you rowing the shifter constantly. Even twins. Bumping the power is a good way to mitigate that.

I didn't consider that (living in the flatlands of Michigan) but I always respect your opinion Kraven,well grounded and civilized.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Thank you, sir. There's no reason we can't be civilized here, even if it is the intertubes.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
hexnut OP
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
I like my Shadow Spirit just fine but 5 or 10 more HP wouldn't hurt. You are right about the Shadow RS. If Honda would hot rod it some they would have a winner on their hands.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Had a 2003 750 ACE, in 2004 Honda replaced it with the Aero. I liked the ACE much better, it had 2 carbs, the Aero only had one, and the ACE was chain drive and I replaced the 41 tooth rear sprocket to a 38 tooth sprocket.
It was a decent little bike, but I like my CB500x much better.

theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #26
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
i like the shadowrs, but with only 40hp? whats up with that? its a nice looking street bike, though. and honda likes to promote its more standard then cruiser riding position. does it make enough power to get on and around SoCal freeways?

this riding position is nice and seeing a red, white, and blue one on the road like this one recently, it looked really nice!!

DudeClone screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 06:35 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
hexnut OP
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
My 2012 Shadow spirit will cruise at 70-75 all day long.

The fuel injected models are rated at 44 HP I believe.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
kraven
Hegelian Scum

The RS isn't just a cruiser Shadow with different tins and seating position/reach. It's a different frame with different steering head angle (32.3* versus 34*) with an inch less trail.
And the RS has a different swingarm and chain drive.

It's powered by the same engine, but it's different in small but significant ways.
RS
503 lbs/40hp= 12.6 power:weight ratio

573 lbs/ 45hp= 12.7

Bolt
531 lbs/ 46= 11.54

Vulcan 900
610 lbs/ 50hp= 12.2

Shadow Phantom
549 lbs/38hp= 14.44

So you can see that the average weight:power ratio is pretty close with a lot of these bikes. The shaft drive 750's take a beating for extra weight, I guess, and parasitic loss through the shaft drive.

There are hot rod tricks you can do, like pipe, intake, changing the timing sensor location, and remapping the FI. Generally you can get them around 50 hp pretty easily with mods, which makes it around 10.0 ratio. That gets you close to the performance of a CB500 (461lbs and 47hp)
Changing the pipe usually sheds about 15+ lbs too, so that helps things. And you can change the sprockets on the 750 to increase lower speed performance.
It's good for about 95mph in stock trim. With mods and some pork trimming, probably 110.
Perfectly fine for commuting.
For comparison: the average untuned '12 Corolla you're in traffic with is about a 20 on the weight:power ratio. (2700lbs/130hp)

Sorry this is so long and "wall of text" ish. I didn't have time to write a short post.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
Vulcan 750 makes 60 hp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Vulcan_750) I could easily live with 40 (RE makes about 25) but I would have to have a way to fix a flat. I've had 3 XS650s and they had plenty of power for me. Why can't Honda either add a centerstand, or make a cast wheel model? I might have bought that red white and blue model if it had cast wheels.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #30
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 394
Have my '06 Shadow Spirit up for sale and have a deposit put down on a 2010 Shadow RS ... am anxious to eventually get the RS ... truly a good lookin' motorcycle!