Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
SlowPony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Fortunately, it's never happened to me on the bike, although at one point I managed to pick up 3 screws in my car tires in a 6-month period (my husband was more than a little annoyed: "Were you aiming?!"). All but one of those could be patched, though.
SlowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 107
Eek

I used to run Q2 on my Buell until I discovered S-20. Anyway, I believe that if you were to mount a new Q2, put he bike in the garage and place a nail on the floor 20 feet away, the nail would of it's own accord, unassisted, impale the tire the first time you look away.

I got a nail in a new rear tire (Q2) during a three mile ride from tire shop to home. Another time, I picked up three nails in a 200 mile ride.

I switched to S-20's and never got another nail or screw. Go figure.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
It seems to happen to me or one of the kids once a year. We just plug with sticky rope and ride on till the tire wears out.

Basically, I wouldn't do a track day on them, but for street duty I've never had an issue.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #19
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I got a huge staple once. Just left it in there, never ended up causing a flat.
cccolin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Just suffered my very first non-off-road motorcycle tire puncture in 40 years of riding about 2 weeks ago. Off-road thorns and the like, sure; car tires, sure, but never a street bike tire puncture.

I ran over a utility knife / razor blade. Just the blade - no knife. I hit it with the rear tire, and that blade had to be standing on it's edge, cause that's how it went into the tire - like it was a penny standing perfectly on it's edge, oriented long-ways to the tire, and I ran it over perfectly.

I bet you could run over a razor blade lying in the road 10,000 times and not have that blade kick up and puncture the tire like that. But, that's what happened.

Sigh.
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkN View Post
Just suffered my very first non-off-road motorcycle tire puncture in 40 years of riding about 2 weeks ago. Off-road thorns and the like, sure; car tires, sure, but never a street bike tire puncture.

I ran over a utility knife / razor blade. Just the blade - no knife. I hit it with the rear tire, and that blade had to be standing on it's edge, cause that's how it went into the tire - like it was a penny standing perfectly on it's edge, oriented long-ways to the tire, and I ran it over perfectly.

I bet you could run over a razor blade lying in the road 10,000 times and not have that blade kick up and puncture the tire like that. But, that's what happened.

Sigh.
Silly rabbit, the front tire ran over it and made it do a bunny hop, then the rear picked it up.

It's always the rear tire that gets screwed.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Silly rabbit, the front tire ran over it and made it do a bunny hop, then the rear picked it up.

It's always the rear tire that gets screwed.

Yeah I've been screwed several times in the rear but never the front. I am talking tires here.

I have always plugged them and ran them till the end of their life with no problems, but if it was a front I would replace it as soon as I could.
I have never had a flat on the front so I can't tell you what it would feel like, but I wouldn't want to take any chances.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #23
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
I'm curious why you replaced the tire if you have all the tools needed to plug it?
I am normally a great advocate of plugging a tire and wearing it out. The screw in the picture is a bit close to the edge, however. It's probably ok but I would have considered renewing it also.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #24
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
All the damn time. I'm riding around on giant, toroidal magnets.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #25
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Been low on cash funds before and had two sting style plugs in a rear tire once. Never an issue, ran it until cords were showing.

As for the Conti-Motion tires, good rubber for the price. Ran them on my Yamaha 600 and would get them again.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777 View Post
I was a bit bummed because I only had about 6k on the PR2 rear, and I do my own tire changes usually. I do carry a compressor and gummy worms but didn't need them. So how often have you had a tire get taken out before its time? And what's your opinion of the conti motion? It was my only option at the time and place...
So why did you replace the tire instead of just plugging it then patching at a later date? Seems you screwed yourself out of the cost of a new tire.
I've read of other inmates replacing fairly new tires due to a simple nail/screw hole. That's crazy! Same goes with replacing tubes every tire change. Just throwing money to the wind...

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #27
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,289
The packrat in me would have kept the not-fixed-at-the-harley-shop instead of giving it away so the shop owner could resell it as "good used" after putting a proper plug-and-patch in it.

--Bill
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #28
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by combustor777 View Post
Lead my friend (who has a Honda S2000CR) for a nice 500 mile day trip in the blue ridge of GA/NC. After pulling out of our lunch break a yellow triangle got my attention and flashed the tire pressure at me, rear 33. I pulled over and found this

My girlfriend always gives me shit for the on board computer of the Beemer, must be jealousy (she rides a Tuono). It definitely gave me the early warning I needed though. Was able to find a tiny bike shop just a few miles down the road (mostly HD...and the owner really wears an eye patch) who just happened to have the right size tire that someone else ordered and never got. The last time I got "screwed" was about 8 years and maybe 70k riding miles ago on the interstate, and I didn't know it until it felt like my rear tire turned into a wet noodle (I was pretty new to riding then too).

I was a bit bummed because I only had about 6k on the PR2 rear, and I do my own tire changes usually. I do carry a compressor and gummy worms but didn't need them. So how often have you had a tire get taken out before its time? And what's your opinion of the conti motion? It was my only option at the time and place...
Something like that could have been plugged effectively. I picked up a nail in a barely broken in tire recently and I carry a plug kit with me. I plugged it and put about another 9,000 miles on that tire. So it looks like you only screwed yourself with this one by getting a new tire.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #29
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
I've been nailed more often then I've been screwed.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #30
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Screws all the time. But last week a 10" long stick 1" in diameter on my UTV was a first:
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote