Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #91
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
All "Team Safari ADV" members, and those that may be interested in joining in the fun as either Service Crew or as a competitor in the 2014 Australasian Safari, Team Safari ADV Bulletin 1 is available for your viewing/reading pleasure.

This Bulletin contains an overview of what we're about, what's included, what's not included and has some indicative costings to get your budgets in shape.

Please PM me your email address if you're interested in receiving a copy, and I'll get it sent out to you.

Cheers, Dave.
Mail sent.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #92
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCOZ View Post
I'll pre-warn immigration !!!
Crap... Not again.. I can only be so lucky once!!

Don, when is the special guest arriving? Doing some Baja style pre running before or straight in for the Amerikun?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #93
nry

Oddometer: 1,295

Thats a worry Best step it up a notch !

Tidied up the garage on Sunday, Stripped the Condo bike back - discovered I'd forgotten to set the gearing up properly, I'd left it slightly better than the standard 140kph No wonder I couldn't keep up on the fast sections, whoops.

Organising the Tower at the moment with another inmate, Gany. I'll be using the HDB frame mounted tower along with a frame block which will be welded on.
Hopefully I'll be getting my exhaust fabricated, to accommodate the rear safari tank, by another mate of mine next week.
I've also got some more shiny stuff coming from GHR.
Ahhh and Renazaco should hopefully have a seat for me in time for kick off.
Apart from that theres a hundred other things I need to get done, and another hundred I'd like to do.
Off riding this coming Sunday so I'll make sure I get some pics of the carnage

I've also "joined up" with this mob properly and am looking forward to not only a successful go at the safari but also a great experience with eveyone.

I wonder if I can get the next hundred and twenty days off work ?

Neil.

nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #94
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post

Thats a worry Best step it up a notch !

Tidied up the garage on Sunday, Stripped the Condo bike back - discovered I'd forgotten to set the gearing up properly, I'd left it slightly better than the standard 140kph No wonder I couldn't keep up on the fast sections, whoops.

Organising the Tower at the moment with another inmate, Gany. I'll be using the HDB frame mounted tower along with a frame block which will be welded on.
Hopefully I'll be getting my exhaust fabricated, to accommodate the rear safari tank, by another mate of mine next week.
I've also got some more shiny stuff coming from GHR.
Ahhh and Renazaco should hopefully have a seat for me in time for kick off.
Apart from that theres a hundred other things I need to get done, and another hundred I'd like to do.
Off riding this coming Sunday so I'll make sure I get some pics of the carnage

I've also "joined up" with this mob properly and am looking forward to not only a successful go at the safari but also a great experience with eveyone.

I wonder if I can get the next hundred and twenty days off work ?

Neil.

We better get the tyres and mousse sorted then.
I am still a bit concerned about the 140 rear going onto the normal enduro rim (and over the big rally mousse) but in the end it's only going to be a question of the length of the lever. :-)

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #95
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
We better get the tyres and mousse sorted then.
I am still a bit concerned about the 140 rear going onto the normal enduro rim (and over the big rally mousse) but in the end it's only going to be a question of the length of the lever. :-)

cheers hg
I have some experience in this. I ran a 140-section rear Pirelli Scorpion on the standard (2.15) KTM rim at Condo with the Michelin Desert mousse, and it was no real problem, expect the chain chewed some of the knobs on the side of the tyre and the tyre did bulge a long way out from the rim. It looked vulnerable, but stayed on and didn't get cut. Having said that, I have also run a 140 Michelin Desert Mousse in a 120-Section tyre on my WRR250. I had to cut a section from it, but fit fine and had no problems all Safari in 2012 (used the one front mousse and two rear mousse for the whole event).

Anyway, point is, it's possible to fit a Michelin Desert 140 mousse into a 120-section tyre, that's what I plan on doing for this years event.

Dave.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #96
nry

Quote:
I have some experience in this. I ran a 140-section rear Pirelli Scorpion on the standard (2.15) KTM rim at Condo with the Michelin Desert mousse, and it was no real problem, expect the chain chewed some of the knobs on the side of the tyre and the tyre did bulge a long way out from the rim. It looked vulnerable, but stayed on and didn't get cut. Having said that, I have also run a 140 Michelin Desert Mousse in a 120-Section tyre on my WRR250. I had to cut a section from it, but fit fine and had no problems all Safari in 2012 (used the one front mousse and two rear mousse for the whole event).

Anyway, point is, it's possible to fit a Michelin Desert 140 mousse into a 120-section tyre, that's what I plan on doing for this years event.

Dave.

I like your definition of fit Dave
Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #97
sequent

Quote:
I like your definition of fit Dave
Look at the scoreboard..!! Just sayin'...!!!

It fit. It didn't pop off the rim. It didn't slit the sidewall of the tyre. Could have. I even thought it might, but it didn't. Yeah, a few side knobs got a bit chewed, but hey, it's not like I rail a berm low enough to even have the side knobs touch the earth so they weren't missed - for years I've wondered why they even mould them into tyres??? Must be for expert "Alien" riders like yourself with your mad skilz....?

And the 120-section fit. With around 4" cut from the tube. Like a glove!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #98
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,530
I'm going with the Tubeliss tyre system front and rear, with UHD Tubes as a back-up system. I like the idea of deflating the tyres right down for sand work, although truth be told I'll probably just stick with running them around 16 to 18 psi. The big advantage is that the 100psi inner tyre/tube protects rims from flat spotting as the tyre cannot be fully deflected inwards during big hits. Plus there's nothing rubbing up against the tyre carcass, generating heat to melt or wear through anything.
Anyone else rallied the Tubeliss system yet?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #99
nry

Quote:
Look at the scoreboard..!! Just sayin'...!!!

Damn it must not bite ..........argh can't help it.......
Its 1 - 1 pretty sure I finished infront of you in 2013, ner ner ne ner ner
Oh and '14 was a fluke
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #100
nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'm going with the Tubeliss tyre system front and rear, with UHD Tubes as a back-up system. I like the idea of deflating the tyres right down for sand work, although truth be told I'll probably just stick with running them around 16 to 18 psi. The big advantage is that the 100psi inner tyre/tube protects rims from flat spotting as the tyre cannot be fully deflected inwards during big hits. Plus there's nothing rubbing up against the tyre carcass, generating heat to melt or wear through anything.

"Crickets"

Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #101
sequent

Quote:
Damn it must not bite ..........argh can't help it.......
Its 1 - 1 pretty sure I finished infront of you in 2013, ner ner ne ner ner
Oh and '14 was a fluke
100 days out and the trash-talking has commenced! Yeah you beat me in 2013 (is this where I mention that you were on a rally bike and I was on a 250cc trailbike???) but fair enough, it's on like Donkey Kong..!

As the butcher said to the customer, "the steaks are high" for our Safari battle then!!! Bring it, biatch...
Old 06-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #102
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,530
Slap Fight! Slap Fight! (And not a single mention of team t-shirts yet).
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #103
sequent

Once my mate sorts the final team logo, shirts and trophies will be sorted - leave it with me!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #104
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Slap Fight! Slap Fight! (And not a single mention of team t-shirts yet).
Quote:
Once my mate sorts the final team logo, shirts and trophies will be sorted - leave it with me!!!
On a similar note, I'll soon be investing in one of those fancy cnc vinyl cutters to make stickers etc for the business (read; there will soon be stickers on EVERYTHING I own).

If you bozo's can come up with a Oz Safari team logo I'd be happy to cut them out for you all... assuming I can work out how to use it.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #105
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
16 to 18 sounds like a lot.

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote