Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
YosemiteCruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 157
Slow down, keep good eye out, try to be ready, that's about it.
YosemiteCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #17
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumbs down Deer

Deal with many in SW Ohio,don't breathe a sigh of relief if you miss one….they usually have others following,usually a bigger Buck during mating season chasing several does.Been there done that thank God in a Dodge minivan at 55 mph that nearly totaled it(totaled the buck though!)Had a good friend killed by a deer hit by oncoming car that threw it through his windshield and kicked him in the head while struggling with it.Shit happens,deer are as dangerous as texters and drunks.Be careful out there!
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
I've had real close encounters with three deer on two different bikes. One early morning and two well after dark. The early morning one was the closest call as I found deer hair on my saddle bag after I got to my destination. That was close!
The last one jumped out from behind a Cedar tree and stopped right in my path of travel. First time I've ever locked up a front wheel. Luckily when the tire started squealing on the asphalt it scared the deer and it took off. If not I would have nailed it. There was no way to know it was behind the tree until it was in the road.
Airport runway lights wouldn't have helped in that situation...and many other similar situations in Virginia where there is little to no shoulder and the roads are tree lined. Not much you can do except ride a little slower and be ready to get on the brakes.

I've hit three deer with my truck...but it has a big winch bumper on it. Bent the license plate a little... My friends keep saying I aim for them with the truck.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #19
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 407
Most people only think that you should start looking out for deer in the fall when it's their breeding season, but this time of the year can be worse with the mothers running around trying to keep an eye on their newborn's. My buddy hit four deer last year commuting to work with his truck. Luckily he didn't have his skinny bike or he might be six feet under.
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 662
My personal experience is that it's best to wear camo. I know when I put on camo deer won't come within 300 yards of me, even if I'm dead silent and sitting still.

Seriously, deer are the main reason I avoid night riding, but dawn and dusk are the worst times. I've always wondered if deer whistles work.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96R1100GS View Post
I livein rural Virginia and have just gotten back into motorcycling. I have hit two deer with my car and am worried about hitting one on the bike. The only solution I can come up with is to slow WAY down when on a back road where deer may be lurking. I do kill and eat them too. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
Avoid early morning and dusk riding.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Keep a sharp fixed blade knife and a few game bags in your panniers... Debone them and get them into the freezer as soon as possible!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96R1100GS View Post
I do kill and eat them too. Any thoughts?
Kill and eat more of them.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #24
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Only way to avoid hitting a dear is to go slow. Deer whistles don't work. I know because I hit one with a car that had deer whistles installed. Last summer I hit a moose (largest of the deer family) that came running full speed out of the trees and across the Alaska Highway. I was riding the speed limit and didn't even have time to put down a skid mark. Ouch.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
A lot of people say that, but in my experience, early morning and dusk have been the times I've least encountered them.
The two I've hit in the car were out at 11ish p.m.

Maybe our deer are night-owls though.

Regarding deer whistles, according to the reading I've done, deer hear similar frequencies to humans, if you can't hear the whistle the deer won't either.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I've hit three deer with my truck...but it has a big winch bumper on it. Bent the license plate a little... My friends keep saying I aim for them with the truck.
Keep on getting em with the truck. I've had 3 very close calls with deer on bikes, tried to nab 2 with my car but they got away.

Once on my CB350F, i had one jump over a guard rail, landing directly in my headlight beam. I distinctly remember the sound of hooves scraping for grip on the asphalt. I never even saw its head, just suddenly the ass end of a deer is right in front of me. That was by far my closest call. Several others I had time to panic brake, that one i missed by inches at the most. A tenth of a second later the deer would have jumped into my lap.

I had one during daylight take off running across a field, about 45 degrees from my direction of travel, running toward the road. It stopped in the tree line on the side of the road. As i approached it, I slowed to a walking pace, knowing it was there. Right as i'm on top of it the stupid fucker runs across the road.

I truly hate deer. The dumbest animals I've ever seen.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #27
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
I had an entire herd of them (probably 10) run across the highway in front of me the other day at 3:00 in the afternoon.....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #28
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
A lot of people say that, but in my experience, early morning and dusk have been the times I've least encountered them.
The two I've hit in the car were out at 11ish p.m.

Maybe our deer are night-owls though.

Regarding deer whistles, according to the reading I've done, deer hear similar frequencies to humans, if you can't hear the whistle the deer won't either.
Most deer's start foraging at dusk. I didn't want to mention after dark, when they are really active because the poster didn't say whether he worked nights. I work nights also.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #29
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I had an entire herd of them (probably 10) run across the highway in front of me the other day at 3:00 in the afternoon.....
Never hunted them though (have you?) and I've a heard of 100 cross a 2 lane highway at 6pm. One week ago. Your point?
2012 Suzuki DL1000
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #30
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
You guys have it all wrong. It's really the government that's behind the rash of deer attacks.
exactly, it begins with DOTs planting deer's favorite forage in interstate medians and along roadsides

contrary to popular belief, deer are not animals of the forest, they prefer edge habitat foraging in fields, cover in dense brush,
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote