Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Just as going into a bend too fast is a chosen act. Failure to check your blind spot. Riding a poorly serviced bike. Not wearing appropriate gear. Pulling a wheelie. Grabbing too much front brake or not enough. Following the bike in front too closely and on and on and on goes the list.

As you can see, the list of mistakes that a biker can make that leads to death is pretty long. We don't celebrate those deaths.

The cager made a mistake. And paid for it with her life. Let's not celebrate that.
I dont celebrate it,but I see it every time Im on the road,these tricker and tricker phones have become a flat out addiction 24/7 for many people,and usually to say completely innane things .

This can kill me,therefore it concerns me to be killed by someone just yapping. I put tailgating in the same category,goes on all the time and is one of the most dangerous free choice things a person can do while driving.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,095
Texting while driving or any other willfully activity that diverts attention from the road is not a mistake.
Not a mistake.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Gee, maybe if these idiots didn't usually get off with a slap on the wrist when they kill there would be a less celebratory reaction.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Just as going into a bend too fast is a chosen act. Failure to check your blind spot. Riding a poorly serviced bike. Not wearing appropriate gear. Pulling a wheelie. Grabbing too much front brake or not enough. Following the bike in front too closely and on and on and on goes the list.

As you can see, the list of mistakes that a biker can make that leads to death is pretty long. We don't celebrate those deaths.

The cager made a mistake. And paid for it with her life. Let's not celebrate that.

Let's keep this in context. There is an enormous difference between a momentary mental error and a negligent mindset. The woman in question clearly was guilty of the latter and -- as the article makes very plain -- she came very close with her stupid vanity to killing someone else in addition to herself.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
i would just like to say i find it somewhat odd folks should be arguing over whether some random driver caused their own death or not, and how riders uninvolved should feel or think about it one way or another

that is all
Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #21
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
It's ironic that the people who tell you "isn't motorcycling dangerous?" are the same folks who text, put on makeup, read the paper, or check the internet, while driving.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 AM   #22
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 100
Eek

In a time where it seems to be a requirement to legislate life to prevent injury to the most stupid, the texting while driving thing has an easy answer, at least where "kids" are concerned.

Most phones have GPS. Make an app that prevents texting at speeds over say, 3 mph. Code locked and passworded. By and large, problem solved.

And while it is proven that talking on the phone while driving is a major distraction (and nothing will stop it). Make a requirement that if you talk on the phone and drive, you have to use a Bluetooth or other hands free device. Cop sees you holding a phone to one ear, driving with one hand and alternately taking the hand off the wheel to gesture at the unseen person, pulls you over and issues a fat ticket. Get three in a year, walk for 6 months.

I wasn't born into a world that needed to legislate common sense. I just don't "get it"
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 AM   #23
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Texting driver causes own death

That wreck happened in my hometown last Thursday. I was in my office and heard all of the sirens. The 32 year old woman had posted to Facebook within a minute of her death. She'd also been taking photos of herself. The driver of the truck she hit is okay.

What a shame this young woman's stupidity cause her death.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #24
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 236
16 yof driving with two others in the car is texting. friday afternoon goin home traffic. 23 yom on his motorcycle stopped at a stop sign with several cars in front of him. 16yof runs over the top of him pinning him to the back of a car and kills him because she was texting, wife with 3 kids couldn't even get his life insurance because of the investigation. the law does not allow leo to look at the phone w/o a subpeona. texters scare me more than drunks and crazy people!!!!!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #25
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
16 yof driving with two others in the car is texting. friday afternoon goin home traffic. 23 yom on his motorcycle stopped at a stop sign with several cars in front of him. 16yof runs over the top of him pinning him to the back of a car and kills him because she was texting, wife with 3 kids couldn't even get his life insurance because of the investigation. the law does not allow leo to look at the phone w/o a subpeona. texters scare me more than drunks and crazy people!!!!!
This is one of the things that needs to change, it should be automatic that if you are involved in an accident that law enforcement automatically receives your cell phone records from the provider and a dump of your activity log from your phone on the scene (technology for this already exists). If you were using the phone for anything other that a hands free voice call then there needs to be a mechanism in place to ensure that you are charged with distracted driving and the accident ruled as your fault. The consequences need to be similar to a DUI, high fines, high points on your license, suspended license, difficulty obtaining insurance in the future.

Making it a severe enough punishment is the only way that this is going to be mitigated, it will never end it but it could reduce it by a great margin.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 AM   #26
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,414
Eventually we are going to have to hold Pop-music accountable.
-Kidding-

The whole thing is sad because the whole thing will only be seen as a lessson to those that already get it.
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #27
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
I was hit from behind in 2007 in just this scenario, with the difference being I was in my truck and not on the bike. Otherwise I am convinced I would have been toast.

Living as I do in a college town with some 30,000 seasonal ingrates, twice in the last month I have seen people cross the line into my lane while texting. One of them never stopped looking at her phone.

No joy in the woman dying, but no sympathy for those who put their selves and others at risk with such behaviors.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #28
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post

No joy in the woman dying, but no sympathy for those who put their selves and others at risk with such behaviors.
My only joy in this is that she only took out herself, no innocent people were killed by her stupidity. I feel for the driver of the truck who now has to live with the mental trauma of re-living that accident....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #29
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,556
Stand Your Ground

Would I be protected by SYG laws if I were to preemptively shoot drivers who are texting while driving?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #30
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Would I be protected by SYG laws if I were to preemptively shoot drivers who are texting while driving?
Only in Texas and Florida.