Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #61
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Just as going into a bend too fast is a chosen act. Failure to check your blind spot. Riding a poorly serviced bike. Not wearing appropriate gear. Pulling a wheelie. Grabbing too much front brake or not enough. Following the bike in front too closely and on and on and on goes the list.

As you can see, the list of mistakes that a biker can make that leads to death is pretty long. We don't celebrate those deaths.

The cager made a mistake. And paid for it with her life. Let's not celebrate that.
This.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #62
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
This is one of the things that needs to change, it should be automatic that if you are involved in an accident that law enforcement automatically receives your cell phone records from the provider and a dump of your activity log from your phone on the scene (technology for this already exists). If you were using the phone for anything other that a hands free voice call then there needs to be a mechanism in place to ensure that you are charged with distracted driving and the accident ruled as your fault. The consequences need to be similar to a DUI, high fines, high points on your license, suspended license, difficulty obtaining insurance in the future.

Making it a severe enough punishment is the only way that this is going to be mitigated, it will never end it but it could reduce it by a great margin.
And this, especially the "bolded" (is that a word anyway?) part.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #63
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I am making the case that any distraction can be managed in such a way that it is not necessarily unsafe and that any distraction can be mismanaged to the point that it becomes unsafe. Texters seem to earn the universal ire of motorcyclists who don't think twice about using their GPS or even taking a picture while riding. I don't care if anyone texts as long as they maintain control of their vehicle and don't endanger me or others. Unfortunatley far too many people lose sight of the big picture when they immerse themselves in the distraction.

How many of those who speak out against texting use a GPS while riding or driving?
Except GPS use does not require the same mental commitment as communication.

Language communication is the evolutionary killer app for human beings. Our brains have a maximum cognitive load and communication gets prioritized over virtually everything else when that limit is reached. Study after study has shown that phone use, of any type, is the WORST form of distraction for drivers, likely due to cognitive prioritization by our brain.

You may WANT to prioritize control of the vehicle over paying attention to the phone communication, but your brain has its own priorities. Your not going to overcome eons of evolutionary conditioning by force of will.

Paebr332 screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 05:51 PM
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #64
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
We need people to take responsibility for their actions.
Fixed.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #65
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Are many people doing that?
That wasn't the question.
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #66
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Fixed.
Yeah, that too.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #67
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Not correct. It can be unsafe as with any distraction. It can also be done safely as can most distractions. Getting road head can be the most difficult of all distractions. I guess the readership here would never consider that.
Driving while drunk or drugged, having poor eyesight or a number of other ailments is not allowed because it is considered unsafe because it has been shown to be unsafe.

Using a hands free phone is demonstrably a distraction for drivers. It is the conversation that is the problem not holding the phone.

Hands free phones are not safe

http://mentalhealth.about.com/librar...llphone701.htm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamoh...new-poll-says/

http://www.alertdriving.com/home/fle...d-held-devices

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...while-driving/

etc. etc. etc.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #68
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
I wonder how many of the folks here who are practically crowing over the death of the cager would say the same thing about this guy...

As for the penalties for driving whilst distracted - they'd not be limited to texting - using a GPS, using a GoPro, pulling wheelies, poor spelling and grammar, waving to another biker - you name it, if it's a potential distraction - they'd be included. Changing radio stations, listening to music...talking on the intercom to your pillion...

You want that? I don't - well, obviously the death penalty for poor grammar is acceptable but the rest, nah.

Should we include riders who partake in those activities on the death list?
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #69
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I wonder how many of the folks here who are practically crowing over the death of the cager would say the same thing about this guy...
Two fools cut from the same cloth.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #70
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
By the way, use of the cell phone in the car for Federal Government employees (except law enforcement) is strictly prohibited and can result in dismissal and loss of insurance coverage in the case of an accident.
Nice to know but the few times I have tried to call in to report cases of it to GSA, with plate numbers, dates, times, and locations they have not been very interested in hearing about it...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #71
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Nice to know but the few times I have tried to call in to report cases of it to GSA, with plate numbers, dates, times, and locations they have not been very interested in hearing about it...
And we expect the police to care?
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #72
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
I hope she worked for a 10'000 employees company, so that 10000 people are getting an email today and reflect on their own distractions, and bring that home to 30000 more husband/wife and teenagers...
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #73
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
And we expect the police to care?
I would be happy if the police around here enforced half of the traffic laws they are charged to, I commute into Reston and routinely travel to Springfield, Quantico, Annapolis Junction, and into and across DC as part of my job. The amount of asshattery I see on a daily basis occurring in front of police officers with no repercussion is appalling...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #74
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
I would be happy if the police around here enforced half of the traffic laws they are charged to, I commute into Reston and routinely travel to Springfield, Quantico, Annapolis Junction, and into and across DC as part of my job. The amount of asshattery I see on a daily basis occurring in front of police officers with no repercussion is appalling...
Tell me about it!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #75
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Driving while drunk or drugged, having poor eyesight or a number of other ailments is not allowed because it is considered unsafe because it has been shown to be unsafe.

Using a hands free phone is demonstrably a distraction for drivers. It is the conversation that is the problem not holding the phone.

Hands free phones are not safe

http://mentalhealth.about.com/librar...llphone701.htm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamoh...new-poll-says/

http://www.alertdriving.com/home/fle...d-held-devices

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...while-driving/

etc. etc. etc.
Incorrect. They can be safely used by those who manage the risks properly.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote