Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #76
Veteran Noob
Unremarkable

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyThumper View Post
It's ironic that the people who tell you "isn't motorcycling dangerous?" are the same folks who text, put on makeup, read the paper, or check the internet, while driving.
Hypocrisy is not ironic.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #77
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Incorrect. They can be safely used by those who manage the risks properly.
You keep saying that, and it is true, but the number who actually CAN do it is VERY small!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #78
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You keep saying that, and it is true, but the number who actually CAN do it is VERY small!
He's really digging his heels in on that point. I'm not sure why (other than to win an interwebz debate).

You nailed it pretty well: "Yes" it is true that risks can be managed. But, as you pointed out, very few people can do it.

I manage texting / driving risks. I don't do it. Or, I pull over. There's no other way, AFAIK.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #79
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Eliminate the Unlimited Talk and Text plans. We didn't have this epidemic back when you paid by minute or paid by character sent.

Reply using small words, my AOL dialup is nearly maxed out for this month.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #80
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Incorrect. They can be safely used by those who manage the risks properly.
So if an individual thinks themselves to be safe using something that is considered by some to be more dangerous than drink driving it's OK. Using your statement above this means an individual can go to a bar, drink and get behind the wheel of a car as long as they consider themselves not drunk, even though they are over the limit?

The fact that using a handsfree may not be illegal is not a consideration - it's not moral to use one.

The fact that you consider yourself to be as safe using a handsfree as not is, in my opinion, both arrogant and ignorant of the facts. The unfortunate woman who died must have considered herself capable of driving and using her phone when plainly she wasn't.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #81
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
You're bringing morals to a ethical fight.......
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #82
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
its interesting when people die. it really is. if this thread is any indication

i'm just grateful to be alive to read all this
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #83
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
You're bringing morals to a ethical fight.......
Yes.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 AM   #84
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
He's really digging his heels in on that point. I'm not sure why (other than to win an interwebz debate).

You nailed it pretty well: "Yes" it is true that risks can be managed. But, as you pointed out, very few people can do it.

I manage texting / driving risks. I don't do it. Or, I pull over. There's no other way, AFAIK.
He digs his heels in every time the subject of texting comes up here, I think it is to justify in his own head that he is the one person who can do this safely despite all of the research and studies that indicate that he is wrong. I hope that he is actually correct and does not hurt somebody at some point while he is "safely texting".
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #85
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,811
Using your cell/smartphone, while driving/riding, will take away from your ability to follow, what happens in traffic, and also to act accordingly. That's why at least a hands free set is mandatory in many places.

Dunno what's so hard to understand about it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #86
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
Another preventable death. And while personal responsibility is not lost on me, The maker of the phone and service provider should be held responsible. Why? Because the technology exists to disable manual texting when the phone is moving. Simple solution, virtually no cost to do so. Thousands of lives to be saved.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #87
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
The fact that using a handsfree may not be illegal is not a consideration - it's not moral to use one.
That is BS. Following that logic, it is immoral to drive with a passenger. You could communicate, and that is clearly not safe.

But driving a car alone is immoral as it is a waste of energy compared to car pooling or public transport. You are endangering the lives of literally billions by causing the atmosphere to heat up. Tsk tsk.

Don't go the moral route. Stay with facts, and facts are that operating a glass-screen mobile phone that requires you to not only hold it, operate it, but also look at it for every operation (because there are no keys) is a whole different league than merely talking. I accept that it is somewhat easier to talk to a person that is right there with you - after all this person can adjust to your common surroundings and is easier to understand usually - but just talking on the phone hands-free, come on.

Holding a phone to your ear, on the other hand, is a different matter again. It restricts your movements and takes away yet another part of concentration on motoric skills.

Almost every time I see someone do something erratic or stupid on North American roads, there is a phone on their ears or in their hands. Sometimes new laws and restricting some freedoms is better for everyone.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #88
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Not correct. It can be unsafe as with any distraction. It can also be done safely as can most distractions. Getting road head can be the most difficult of all distractions. I guess the readership here would never consider that.
Getting road head can certainly be distracting. Getting road ass is just plainly irresponsible!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #89
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
- but just talking on the phone hands-free, come on.
See post 67.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #90
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Texting driver causes own death

As I mentioned in a earlier post, I live in High Point where the texting driver died. Here are a couple of photos of the scene where Courtney Ann Sanford died:

She did something very stupid and it cost her life. That got me to thinking and I've done some pretty dumb stuff in my 66 years on this earth; I just didn't get caught by fate. Then, I thought about what I can do to prevent that happening to me 'cause I've got a phone that can do everything Courtney's phone did. Also, I have a fancy Nav V on my bike and it's linked to all the "stuff" that gets talked about on this forum. Dranrab Luap has posed, "They can be safely used by those who manage the risks properly," and I believe him to be correct. Whether moral/ethical . . . it doesn't really matter. Courtney is dead. That matters. The truck driver, a 73 year old man, could have been seriously hurt or worse. That matters. What we do as responsible adults, the way we perform while driving and/or enjoying our motorcycles, matters, too. Don't contribute to distracting driving/riding.
2 Y'all be careful out there!
Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 07:17 AM Reason: misinformation
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote