Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #46
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Jeff was chatting with Guy after seeing him siphoning gas from his truck. He was trying to run 100+ octane at 14K feet. "octane is your enemy" said Jeff. Guy with big eyes, "right!"
I was not there, this is the story from Jeff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
Guy's bike is running like a dog at altitude

c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #47
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Wow this thing looks slick

The V2 Rocket from Brutus Electric Motorcycles is on the launch pad, ready to go ballistic on Pikes Peak. Though it just turned a wheel for the first time a week ago, the custom-built, battery-powered bike is now on the mountain and hopes to turn some heads during the Race to the Clouds, aka the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC). Certainly it's an eyeball magnet just resting on its kickstand.

This new bike is a bit different from previous Brutus builds. After starting out with a throwback cruiser-style machine, the outfit then got beastlier but stayed close to its roots on Brutus 2. The Brutus V9 - a machine that company principal Chris Bell tells us is getting them a lot of attention lately - used the same platform, but added fairings and saddlebags and other interesting bits for that full 'bagger" effect. The V2 Rocket updates the trellis frame and DC drivetrain of its forebearers, simplifying things by doing away with the transmission and using a more powerful motor, all the while putting a sports bike twist on things. Think less traditional Harley, more Hayabusa.

With its 9-inch Warp motor and Zilla controller pulling power from an 11.5-kWh lithium battery pack from EVDrive, it boasts 130 electric horses, boosted by 172 pound-feet of torque. Cooling for the motor and batteries comes courtesy of air intakes on the front fairing. It also benefits from a shot of liquid carbon dioxide sprayed into the opening just prior to runs. The team reports this has been quite effective in their admittedly-limited experience to date. Exact top speed is unknown, but the bike did manage to quickly climb up to 152 miles per hour while sitting on a dyno before shipping out to Colorado. Bell believes they may be able to take it up past 185 mph with a gearing change and the white expanse of the Bonneville Salt Flats in front of it. For Pikes Peak, however, that kind of speed isn't nearly as useful as acceleration.

After an initial bit of time on the course during a group ride, rider Jeremiah Johnson told us he felt the bike's biggest challenge might be getting the suspension sorted. While dealing with a faulty bearing, the team also shortened up the wheel base by an inch and swapped out some gears, resulting in a huge improvement. Despite dropping the bike early in the day (nothing damaged that a rubber mallet couldn't fix), Johnson now says he's "getting a real feel for this bike and am really happy with it so far."
Brutus is offering the V2 Rocket in race form beginning at $26,490.

Brutus is offering the V2 Rocket in race form on its website beginning at $26,490. A street version will also be made available later, though it will likely use different body work. The big news here, though, might be the size of the battery packs, ranging from 17.8 kWhs to 21.7 kWhs. That larger pack would probably yield something close to a 200-mile range in ordinary street riding. While prices for this later version haven't been decided, it would definitely cost more than its track-bound brother. Brutus is also mulling a naked version to show off its underpinings to the world.

You can follow the team's progress on the Brutus Motorcycles Facebook page. Scroll below for video from its first at-speed practice run. While we can't say whether the V2 will beat its only class competitor - a lighter, but less powerful bike from Japanese team EV Mirai - in Sunday's race, the gas-powered supermoto that started ahead of our protagonists in practice certainly was easy pickings.Continue reading Brutus V2 Rocket electric motorcycle set to go ballistic on Pikes Peak [w/video]

Brutus V2 Rocket electric motorcycle set to go ballistic on Pikes Peak [w/video] originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Thu, 26 Jun 2014 07:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pitKSzz2g
y2blade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #48
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,243
Quote:
Guy's bike is running like a dog at altitude

I'm surprised he's that far off on jetting.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #49
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Well,as an old noisey bike fan , I'd like to say, Go ! Guy.
Let the gods of internal combustion triumph over the whir of electricity !
Just one more time, let the dead dinos rule.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #50
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,094
I am with you bk brkr Baker, flat trackers forever!

But I will admit to being a big fan of Jeremiah Johnson and the Brutus!!
I met Jeremiah at the TTX GP, Leguna Seca, where his own E-bike wasn't throwing out the juice and he rode a Zero instead. Glad he is hooked up with some horse power and a battery pack to back it up...

The car alarm on the Brutus is tooo funny!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 11:35 AM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #51
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,326
Bad news!

My favorite ride this and last year is the Freightliner driven by Mike Ryan. He wrecked it today off course into the trees.

pic.twitter.com/vMi8qApP75

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #52
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
That is a bummer I was looking forward to seeing, hearing and feeling that thing go by this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Bad news!

My favorite ride this and last year is the Freightliner driven by Mike Ryan. He wrecked it today off course into the trees.

pic.twitter.com/vMi8qApP75
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #53
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,622
Damn, I need to make it to PP someday...

This is all I got and U toob...http://www.ppihc.com/

D.T. screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 09:02 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #54
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,243
Rode up it weekend after the race and the black streaks were fun to follow...with some going right off the edge!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 AM   #55
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Here we go!!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #56
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Jeff was chatting with Guy after seeing him siphoning gas from his truck. He was trying to run 100+ octane at 14K feet. "octane is your enemy" said Jeff. Guy with big eyes, "right!"
I was not there, this is the story from Jeff.

Maybe someone can explain this to me. Airplane (non-jet) gas is high octane (around 100 I think) so why would high octane "be your enemy" at high altitude.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #57
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

live timing here
http://livetiming.net/ppihc/?Class=
Old 06-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #58
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Is there a live audio feed at all please?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #59
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Maybe someone can explain this to me. Airplane (non-jet) gas is high octane (around 100 I think) so why would high octane "be your enemy" at high altitude.
Could it be because airplane engines operate at much lower RPM than a race motor does?

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #60
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Is there a live audio feed at all please?
Www.krdo.com

I'm listening on their android app right now

Apparently there's no *free* livestream video this year, at least not that I can find