User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
mud OP
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
SO, I have been reading.
It sounds like Consumer Reports doesn't think that highly of them, and I have talked to a couple more people that my parents know that are less than impressed.
The consensus is definitely you are just paying for "the status". That is not at all what I am looking for, I was hoping for "you get what you pay for".

I have some others that are alot cheaper and perform better to check out now.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #17
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Hmmmm. . . . . My experience with Maytag is just the opposite.

I've got the model with the freezer down below - It's been flawless and shelves are fine after five years . . . . .

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
My experience with the subzero's was poor, as was my parents. I would go further and say I would never get another "built in" refrigerator of any brand. They don't perform any better and there are plenty of nice options in non-built in models. If you are remodeling a kitchen you can easily make an off the floor model look "built in".
My folks had both a full size refrig and a freezer separates - been a long time but I do remember both of them being less than stellar in reliability.

Frankly, I'm not into high design, I think our fridge in this house cost about $800 at Home Despot. Maytag maybe? I don't even care - we buy basic hardware - top freezer, no door dispensers, an ice maker was my sole concession to the wife.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
mud OP
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Hmmmm. . . . . My experience with Maytag is just the opposite.

I've got the model with the freezer down below - It's been flawless and shelves are fine after five years . . . . .
I'm jealous.
Ours is the freezer on the bottom, french door cabinet depth.
The drawer plastic is cracking and broken in some spots, I have glued some stops back in place. The seal in the middle of the doors is wearing our, and the doors no longer close unless you actually CLOSE them...
If I get anything back by the vent in freezes, it makes the top shelf almost useless and if I turn the temp down so this doesn't happen, the temps are not cold enough..... and it isn't packed full.

SO, not so pleased I guess.

I am going to keep it, it is just going in the basement as overflow.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #20
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,526
When I redid my kitchen back in '97, I got a Sub-zero side-by-side. Back then, I think it was about $3K. It's a small kitchen, so instead on the optional panels, I put 1/4" mirrors into the doors. Makes the thing practically disappear, and adds a little better insulation to the front.

Except for the ice maker, which has never really worked right (and which I suspect is due to an inept installation by my GC), I have had no problems whatsoever with the unit. I would get another happily.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be

spezjag screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 09:14 AM
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #21
mud OP
I just wander.....

Appliances have gone down hill considerable in the last 15 years.....
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,387
The cheaper fridges have sealed compressors, get a leak and it gets tossed. Not sure about the Sub Zero built-ins. I think part of the problem is that most people buy a fridge and forget about it. You cannot do that with a commercial grade unit. You have to clean the coils on a regular basis.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
mud OP
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
The cheaper fridges have sealed compressors, get a leak and it gets tossed. Not sure about the Sub Zero built-ins. I think part of the problem is that most people buy a fridge and forget about it. You cannot do that with a commercial grade unit. You have to clean the coils on a regular basis.
It sounds like at one time this was true with SZ, but they have lost their way in the name of profit....

I have no problem with a little preventative maintenance.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,791
As others have said, if you are looking at a building unit, you will be stuck with the price tag that you quoted (former Sears Home Appliance Showroom sales person). Dacor and KitchenAid have built in units available, as does Viking, but you are still looking at the $$$$.

My money would be in a counter depth model with optional panels, if you want it to blend in with the cabinets. You will be looong at $3k+/- depending on the mfg rebates at the time but, as has been said, they aren't making them like they used to, so you would expect to replace it ~10 years based on the complaints that I have heard.

Regarding dual compressors, IIRC, Samsung and LG both offer units with dual compressors. Do your homework and get something that has a good rating. Oh, and buy from a local company that will warranty what they sell.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
ToySldr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I just saw the 16K fridge!!! It is amazing looking! But.... It's 16 freaking K!
ToySldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #26
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 501
Pissed Built in Viking

[QUOTE=MeanMoe;24088051]As others have said, if you are looking at a building unit, you will be stuck with the price tag that you quoted (former Sears Home Appliance Showroom sales person). Dacor and KitchenAid have built in units available, as does Viking, but you are still looking at the $$$$.

We bought a built in Viking in 2006 when we remodeled the kitchen it cost 5-6 thousand $'s. I wanted something that fit in a 24" custom built enclosure and with very little projection from that, the kitchen is narrow and there is an exterior door opposite the refrigerator.

1st repair was a computer board about three years after purchase, $ 700 and something. after that the factory has issued two repairs kits that do not work, the freezer ices up and leaks water out. The water leak caused the MDF to expand and damage the bottom of the expensive custom enclosure. The door is known to fall off and cause injury, the factory released two fix kits, they sent us the wrong one, we received the right one and it awaits installation by two men. After the repair kits did not work Viking offered free replacement parts but we were to pay for labor which my wife refused to do.

This is a major faliure of an expensive product from design mistakes to poor materials such as the door cams at the hinges that wear out, the door does not self close.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #27
mud OP
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Regarding dual compressors, IIRC, Samsung and LG both offer units with dual compressors. Do your homework and get something that has a good rating. Oh, and buy from a local company that will warranty what they sell.
Good to know, I will check them out.

We have two really good companies locally that I am going to use one of. NOT box stores....
Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocicletta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
As others have said, if you are looking at a building unit, you will be stuck with the price tag that you quoted (former Sears Home Appliance Showroom sales person). Dacor and KitchenAid have built in units available, as does Viking, but you are still looking at the $$$$.

We bought a built in Viking in 2006 when we remodeled the kitchen it cost 5-6 thousand $'s. I wanted something that fit in a 24" custom built enclosure and with very little projection from that, the kitchen is narrow and there is an exterior door opposite the refrigerator.

1st repair was a computer board about three years after purchase, $ 700 and something. after that the factory has issued two repairs kits that do not work, the freezer ices up and leaks water out. The water leak caused the MDF to expand and damage the bottom of the expensive custom enclosure. The door is known to fall off and cause injury, the factory released two fix kits, they sent us the wrong one, we received the right one and it awaits installation by two men. After the repair kits did not work Viking offered free replacement parts but we were to pay for labor which my wife refused to do.

This is a major faliure of an expensive product from design mistakes to poor materials such as the door cams at the hinges that wear out, the door does not self close.

Ouch!

Not as bad as your situation but our KA counter depth SbS hasn't worked right since we got it in 2000. Some times you open the door and the control board shows you the settings. Some times not. When it doesn't show settings, it doesn't control the damper on the cold air inlet. No control means frozen food in the fridge.

I gave up on repairmen after the first 3 service calls. Bit the bullet and replaced thermocouples and all the boards and it still does the same thing. I've been praying for it to die for 10 years now.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Appliances have gone down hill considerable in the last 15 years.....
Oh yes. We built our last house, and my wife worked for Best Buy corporate at the time, so we bought the best appliances they sold at the time basically for cost.

We ended up replacing every single one except the dryer within nine years.

The appliances in our current house are about 11 years old, but were pretty high end when new. We've had the washer (front loader Whirlpool) repaired at least five times. The oven and fridge twice each. The oven is a double oven, built in, so if we have to replace it, it's going to be expensive because there are only about two options in that size.

I went through an open house for a house for sale a few blocks from us last weekend. They had a Sub-Zero built in fridge with the panels. I honestly thought it was quite ugly.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #30
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,266
I'd like to thank all that have been providing fridge intel. Ours is getting due, came with the house and we never liked it, so it was always on borrowed time.

The wife wants the bottom freezer/french doors setup, reading the comments earlier were interesting. I want the ice/water setup, really miss that from our old fridge.

Keep it coming guys, it is appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: