Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I bought a Kenmore.

In 1988. still works fine.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #32
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,712
My bis assed 48in built in GE Monogram has been great; after the replaced the first one after 5 weeks of ownership. Glad it wasn't me that had to move it. That being said, it's still a shitload of money.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #33
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,067
I am routinely involved with kitchen remodels where Sub Zeros do not have a stellar reputation in the field. 2 weeks ago I came across one leaking water on the wood floor. And do not underestimate the ability to move the thing once in awhile.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #34
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
In 1965 someone I don't remember bought a new Kenmore fridge for a manufactured house. Later it went to my grandparents house in Phoenix where it lived from the 70's to the late 80's, outside on the back patio as the soda fridge. When they moved out of the house and my uncle got a house at the same time, it went into his garage as a soda fridge. They got a new fridge for the house, the old house fridge moved to the garage, and I got the fridge as the main fridge for my first house in '01. Being that I wasn't a big fan of a green fridge and my parents bought me a new fridge to match the house as a housewarming gift, the fridge moved again to my cousin's new house. Where it was proudly used as the main fridge up to a few years ago. they sold the house and the owner wanted the fridge, so it finally left the family. We did a drive by of old neighborhoods and as we drove by the garage door was open, and the fridge from 1965 that spent most of it's life in less the ideal conditions and never had any work done to it that we know of was still in service as a garage fridge.

the bad part, it was a little fridge but it sucked power to the point the lights would dim when it was on.

My '06 (all new stuff in a new house) Whirlpool has only needed an updated circuit board to keep it running. The matching high end top load washer, could not keep it alive. I could tear it down and rebuild it faster then the pros. Finally scrapped it after the bearings went again. Still have the dryer and dishwasher that work fine, but the dishwasher is starting to rust the tines.

I can't say that all the new stuff is bad. I have had good luck with some of it, not so good with others. Never had a chance to have any of the high end stuff. Although my brother did recently get a Bosch dishwaher, he like for now. See what he thinks in a couple of years. He is hard on dishwashers, never gets more then a couple years out of any of the common ones he has ever had.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,925
We've had about 8 medium to fairly high end fridges, most new, as we've moved around.

The house we purchased 4 years ago had a one year old Sub-Zero. Without question, the best fridge we have ever had. No problems either. So good, I'll spend my own money on one, when we move again.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #36
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 310
If you have a Thermador dealer near you probably worth giving a look; we have had excellent results with the built in French door with bottom freezer. Six years no issues. It is heavy as hell.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #37
mud OP
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
SO I stopped by a local dealer today.
I explained my hesitance with SZ and asked what else we should look at. What is interesting is he did even bat an eye, he immediately showed me a Liebherr which is about $2K less, then went down to Thermador and even Bosch..... With that I can't help but think they have had issues as well.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #38
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,812
Never had one, but have heard a lot of bad things from friends that have.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #39
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,653
We like our mammoth LG. 33cuft, bottom freezer, French doors.

It replaced our side-by-side Whirlpool on which the icemaker finally died after 20 years of making those irritating-as-hell crescent-shaped cubes that form a perfect dam in your drinking glass, causing you to pour your drink up your nose and down the front of your shirt.

Glad it's gone.

W.A.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #40
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I am routinely involved with kitchen remodels where Sub Zeros do not have a stellar reputation in the field. 2 weeks ago I came across one leaking water on the wood floor. And do not underestimate the ability to move the thing once in awhile.
Take this to heart. I pulled our KA out to clean the underside. Pushed it in too far when I was done. About 2 weeks later I noted water dripping off the top of the foundation above the garage door.

Crimped the ice maker line.

The oak floor dried out just fine but had to remove and replace about 3 full sheets of drywall and insulation. Only 2ftx3ft of that was behind the fridge.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #41
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
As others have said, if you are looking at a building unit, you will be stuck with the price tag that you quoted (former Sears Home Appliance Showroom sales person). Dacor and KitchenAid have built in units available, as does Viking, but you are still looking at the $$$$.

My money would be in a counter depth model with optional panels, if you want it to blend in with the cabinets. You will be looong at $3k+/- depending on the mfg rebates at the time but, as has been said, they aren't making them like they used to, so you would expect to replace it ~10 years based on the complaints that I have heard.

Regarding dual compressors, IIRC, Samsung and LG both offer units with dual compressors. Do your homework and get something that has a good rating. Oh, and buy from a local company that will warranty what they sell.
I spent about a year researching before I got our current fridge (Sears Kenmore bottom freezer) and really wanted a unit with more than 1 evaporator. The Samsung looked great but their customer service was horrible, nearly every online review stated ongoing problems with the electronics. The higher $$$$ units like SubZero used to have a compressor and evap for each of the fridge and freezer sections. I don't think the Samsung had two compressors.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: