Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
michael_l OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Question Would a middle weight Sport bike from BMW sell?

Now don't get me wrong, in America horsepower is king, and the s1000r(r) get that job done in spades. But let's be honest, who actually needs 190/160 horsepower?! What in the world do you use it all for?

I like to go fast as much as the next guy, but I think 115-130 is more than enough for the street. Sure I do a track day a year or so, and at that point, yes of course you use it all, but what about the other 99%?

Given the current popularity of the class a la MV Rivale/F3, the Streetfighter, the new FZ09, and the rest of the 750 - 899 panigale crowd illustrate, I can't possibly be alone in this thinking.

What say you? Do you think a middle weight real sport bike/naked sport bike from BMW would sell? And yes yes I know they make the F800GT, but let's be honest, that's not a real sport bike. It weighs a ton and doesn't have the HP to really rocket. At least from my armchair quarterbacking position.

What I want - something that gets decent enough gas mileage and doesn't weigh 500 pounds, something that I can use >60% of the throttle on the roads and the rest on the track, a middleweight hooligan that doesn't cost 20 grand. Think anyone else would buy one?

michael_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 745
why bmw? plenty of quality entries from other manufacturers.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Chr!s
natural born dreamer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_l View Post
Now don't get me wrong, in America horsepower is king, and the s1000r(r) get that job done in spades. But let's be honest, who actually needs 190/160 horsepower?! What in the world do you use it all for?

I like to go fast as much as the next guy, but I think 115-130 is more than enough for the street. Sure I do a track day a year or so, and at that point, yes of course you use it all, but what about the other 99%?

Given the current popularity of the class a la MV Rivale/F3, the Streetfighter, the new FZ09, and the rest of the 750 - 899 panigale crowd illustrate, I can't possibly be alone in this thinking.

What say you? Do you think a middle weight real sport bike/naked sport bike from BMW would sell? And yes yes I know they make the F800GT, but let's be honest, that's not a real sport bike. It weighs a ton and doesn't have the HP to really rocket. At least from my armchair quarterbacking position.

What I want - something that gets decent enough gas mileage and doesn't weigh 500 pounds, something that I can use >60% of the throttle on the roads and the rest on the track, a middleweight hooligan that doesn't cost 20 grand. Think anyone else would buy one?

Actually had this discussion tonight with my gf who is just starting out with mc's... Nope, hp isn't (necessarily) proportional to fun and I've done the small bike thing several times over my biking cv and loved it but having a shit load of power is also awesome...lots of other things in this f$$ked up world aren't necessary either but c'est la vie.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
michael_l OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post

Mainly because I really want an s1000r but wouldn't mind better fuel economy, cheaper insurance, and being able to open the throttle up more than 20%.

For entirely selfish reasons because I want the dynamic suspension. I think of all the electronic aids, it's one of the best. 90% of riders don't know how or don't take the time to set up their suspension properly, and having a computer that can provide a solution 90% of the time instantly is awesome. I just don't want to have to spend 16k to get it.

To be honest I think the FZ09 is a great platform and apparently a fantastic engine. For a bit less than 2k at traxion dynamics you could have it sorted but I want to stick with a bike from europe and I think the bmw looks better.

I'm looking for the ultimate hooligan/commute/run errands/but still rail around a track for the couple of days a year, and I can't really find it.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
Teckel
As If I Care

Oddometer: 2,876
The F800R didn't float your boat? If you gotta have a bike from Europe, then I'd suggest either the Triumph 675 Street Triple or a Ducati Monster.

But to be practical, you really can't beat the price/performance of the new Yamaha triple.

Also you could just buy a used Bandit or FZ1 for the same purpose.

Teckel screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 06:54 AM
Teckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
But let's be honest, who actually needs 190/160 horsepower?! What in the world do you use it all for?
I dont need 200HP....I WANT 200HP
And you dont have to use all of it all the time. If you dont want it just dont buy it, simple.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Mainly because I really want an s1000r but wouldn't mind better fuel economy, cheaper insurance, and being able to open the throttle up more than 20%.

For entirely selfish reasons because I want the dynamic suspension. I think of all the electronic aids, it's one of the best. 90% of riders don't know how or don't take the time to set up their suspension properly, and having a computer that can provide a solution 90% of the time instantly is awesome. I just don't want to have to spend 16k to get it.
If it's suspension setup you care about, you can have a professional help dial it in for you on any bike, as you hinted at. If you don't want to pay out the ass for something, you are looking at the wrong manufacturer

There are soo many bikes choose from, if the only one that floats your boat is a top of the line BMW that you aren't willing to pay for and has too much HP, or one that nobody has made yet, you really aren't looking hard enough. There are dozens in the 600-800cc range that fit the bill, check out the used bike section here for great ideas
Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
Saw recently that the 848 Evo, now considered a middleweight, makes more power than the original 916.

While your desire certainly makes sense, you have to consider that while a middleweight BMW sportbike might sell, it wouldn't sell at a price that would support adaptive suspension as well as the development of an entirely new motor.

I do think they shit the bed making the F800 motor sound and feel like a boxer. I rode an F800R (hooligan naked bike) and while the chassis was pretty nice the motor and heavy flywheel made no sense to me whatsoever. Took my FZ6 out on the demo route twenty minutes later and had a lot more fun.

Agree about finding a FZ-09 or Street R or Daytona 675R and setting it up how you want it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I don't get the "you can't use all of that power on the street" bit. Maybe you just don't have the right roads access able to you. In rural areas here in Oregon we use full power when in the countryside to get from one corner to the next all of the time.
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
michael_l OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
I don't get the "you can't use all of that power on the street" bit. Maybe you just don't have the right roads access able to you. In rural areas here in Oregon we use full power when in the countryside to get from one corner to the next all of the time.
This is an entirely valid point! I must just be doing it wrong. Unfortunately for me, I don't get to choose where I live (Thank you uncle sam) so the quality of roads is simply a result of where the bases are.

There have been some good suggestions! This was supposed to be more a musing about whether or not a middle weight full up sport bike from them might sell and less about what should I buy next. There are lots of bikes out there, and some really good ones at this time, so I'm sure I'll figure that part out.

Anyways, definitely some good points about the costs associated with developing and designing a new engine etc, and how at a lower price point which would by default be necessary on the middle weight might price out the electronics that I seek/speak of.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
That's what rain mode is for. If you're looking for cheaper insurance, I'm not sure any supersport would fit that bill.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,795
I think a BMW middleweight sporting bike would probably do ok in the market.

But it'd have to be a premium bike, not a penny pincher with obvious shortcuts taken here and there.

I think there's kind of a hole in the market for a middleweight like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Siper2
Slowpoke

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I think a BMW middleweight sporting bike would probably do ok in the market.

But it'd have to be a premium bike, not a penny pincher with obvious shortcuts taken here and there.

I think there's kind of a hole in the market for a middleweight like this.
Being a BMW, I doubt they'd cut corners. :)

Perhaps something like an R800R? I'm game.
Siper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
Some people like to stick to one manufacturer. I know a few who are like this.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
michael_l OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Some people like to stick to one manufacturer. I know a few who are like this.
I haven't owned one yet - although I apparently am jonesing to. I've had a yamaha or two and 2 ducatis.

Nice handle by the way, classic read.