Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siper2 View Post
Being a BMW, I doubt they'd cut corners. :)
lol Listen to an F800 with 50k miles on it.

Perhaps something like an R800R? I'm game.
Something like a modern K75S would be cool. A triple set on kill with 100+ at the wheel and RR ergos/fairing would really be a nice alternative. A lot of n00bs buying bikes like the roundel. The kids who buy a 600 class bike as entry level are all about image because they can't ride yet for shit. They'd buy into the BMW marque just for the brand recognition same way they do with the automobiles.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
michael_l OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Something like a modern K75S would be cool. A triple set on kill with 100+ at the wheel and RR ergos/fairing would really be a nice alternative. A lot of n00bs buying bikes like the roundel. The kids who buy a 600 class bike as entry level are all about image because they can't ride yet for shit. They'd buy into the BMW marque just for the brand recognition same way they do with the automobiles.
Yeah I just think an 800cc sports bike, call it 130hp would be a nice fit. Not quite the rocket ship the s1000rr is, but definitely capable. It would be more fuel efficient, lighter, easier to flick around, cheaper to buy and insure, and could compete with the 899 panigale, the gsxr750, wipe up the daytona 675, etc. Given the S1000rr can be found for about the same as the 899, I think it would do well.
michael_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
If it's suspension setup you care about, you can have a professional help dial it in for you on any bike, as you hinted at. If you don't want to pay out the ass for something, you are looking at the wrong manufacturer
Pretty much all of this.

You might favor an active suspension, but until you ride a well set-up traditional suspension you don't know what you're missing. My 2012 GS has ESA, and I think it sucks balls compared to the previous GS which had standard suspension set up for my weight and riding style. Only preload was adjustable on the fly.

Plus, as much as I'm drawn to BMWs and Ducatis, they're definitely not on the 'cheap' end of affordability. Do your own wrenching, save a few $, learn about your bike.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_l View Post
Yeah I just think an 800cc sports bike, call it 130hp would be a nice fit. Not quite the rocket ship the s1000rr is, but definitely capable. It would be more fuel efficient, lighter, easier to flick around, cheaper to buy and insure, and could compete with the 899 panigale, the gsxr750, wipe up the daytona 675, etc. Given the S1000rr can be found for about the same as the 899, I think it would do well.
Cut that k16 motor in half and you'd have the start of a sweet modern k75!

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
The F series could be upgraded by doing something like have an Italian group hot rod the engine a bit and address component price point selections, etc. It would never happen, but they could even buy a company and maybe call it Husqvarna and develop models with silly names like, Nuda and then never sell it in the U.S.............................

BMW has made some huge changes of direction in a relatively short period of time and not every change has worked out, e.g., Husky or their racing efforts as a Factory Team, etc. The huge $ to build and certify a new engine would require a healthy expectation to their return on investment, much cheaper to put conventional suspension bits like on the nineT or less expensive options on the the new 1000 based models and then dress them a bit differently.

F800R - gone
R1200S- gone
R1200st- gone
K1200Rs- gone not continued to 1300 version
K1200R- not offered in 1300 version in U.S., rumored last year in Canada

They appear to have drawn new demographic interest and/or convinced the faithful to keep sales numbers healthy. Not too many years ago it was blasphemy to discuss conventional forks or Heaven forbid a chain final drive on a BMW as those were for less sophisticated riders of inferior machines. I love my BMW and it is a fantastic bike, but with total honesty I am less than impressed with some of their continued reliability problems and/or the high costs to repair with same/same components over the years. Many changes on the new water cooled GS (still with switch problems and a few other first year problems) that I hope lead the way to a new era of good reputation being a factual rather than urban legend as a reason to spend the extra $ to have one. The 1200 updates along with the 1600 and 1000 engines give them an amazing array of competitive power trains and the Super Scooters shouldn't be overlooked , maybe the 800 will be up for a redo when it's recert approaches.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #21
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
Cut that k16 motor in half and you'd have the start of a sweet modern k75!
There's a neat idea.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
The big problem is the cheaper bit. Boring the cylinders smaller doesn't cost them less money.

If you want a cheaper S1000R, you've got to give up something, and unfortunately giving up 200cc won't do the trick. So what else would you be happy to lose?

OTOH, they could build you a sleeved down 1000, with all the 1000 stuff on it. And cut their profits to get it out cheaper. The question then is what's in it for them.

Edit: yes I know they could also develop a new 650 triple that was as good as the 1000 and cheaper. The same question arises. I imagine Ducati, MV, Triumph and the Japs think they're buying brand loyalty.

Moronic screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 09:47 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #23
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
There were rumours of a middleweight BMW sports bike a few years back, but they were scotched by the company because the financial crisis killed that market. Turns out that riders who went for these models tended to be younger, and relied on credit, and when that dried up...

BMW have pruned down their range, but a new R1200ST is rumoured for next year. I wouldn't be surprised if it expands a bit in the next few years as the economy improves.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
michael_l OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The big problem is the cheaper bit. Boring the cylinders smaller doesn't cost them less money.

If you want a cheaper S1000R, you've got to give up something, and unfortunately giving up 200cc won't do the trick. So what else would you be happy to lose?

OTOH, they could build you a sleeved down 1000, with all the 1000 stuff on it. And cut their profits to get it out cheaper. The question then is what's in it for them.

Edit: yes I know they could also develop a new 650 triple that was as good as the 1000 and cheaper. The same question arises. I imagine Ducati, MV, Triumph and the Japs think they're buying brand loyalty.
Definitely a good point - cutting 200cc doesn't make the difference in thousands of dollars, and if it is a neutered s1000 engine and basically the same price, then obviously it wouldn't sell. I think my desire for a smaller displacement is more a desire for more nimble/lighter/and being able to open the throttle all the way. I had a Monster S4RS with a full exhaust and the thing was a blast with 135hp. I think any more than that hp is just wasted because I wasn't able to open it up as often as I would have liked.

The cheaper aspect is really just a bonus/byproduct of the smaller ride, and not something that I'd be looking for. Sure it needs to be cheaper than the bigger faster bike, but the cheaper comes into maintenance, gas, insurance, as well as initial buy in.

Some good answers in here that's for sure!
michael_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #25
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
The 899 panigale weighs more than the 1199, lower price no longer means lower weight.

That's why BMW won't bother.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #26
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
I think they need a nice first bike,
350cc.single or twin to get newbs into the brand.
That size sells 10-1,to every superduper mount.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #27
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
The 650 is their learner bike, it's light enough and easy power. A 350 would struggle to not lose money unless they open a plant in Asia
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
BMW have moved production of their G-series bikes to China, to take advantage of the lower production costs there. In fact, the single-cylinder engine used on the G650 range is actually manufactured by Loncin, a Chinese company that makes motorcycles, motorcycle engines and various motorcycle components.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
No real place for this bike in BMWs lineup. Maybe if they designed a triple or something (new k75s?), but they'd need to do unpleasant things to the s1000r engine to water it down that much.

Of course, then they'd probably have to kill the f800 motor, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

Of course, then they'd probably have to kill the f800 motor, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Kill it with fire!

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote