Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
a liter bike as a first sports bike? GSX 1000

HI there,

I am looking to get a very different experiences, so from DP and scooters I am now looking at sports bike. I have a budget and in that budget I see it possible to purchase my friends super well taken care off GSX 2006 1k bike. I have never own nor driven anything that fast and will like to do it.

I am not a new rider, I have been on bikes for the past 10 years (almost) and never been bikeless for more than a month, and ride basically every day. My biggest bike is the KLR 650, and as you all know that is not a speed machine. So I am worry the power mite be too much.

If I use my brain, I would go with a new 250-500 cc sports bike, and use it untill I have enough miles/confident to say thank you! and next! I am not saying outgrown since I am not that kind of rider, I had a 100 cc scooter that I used for 2 years that I just sold last January, and a scooter will be back at my place some time in the coming years.

So any toughs? I am considering this liter bike because it is available, I know the owner and know how well he takes care of bikes and the price I think it is acceptable. Would I consider a 600 cc SS? yes, if all of the above characteristics were match, but for now no other offer has come my way.

Thanks for your comments.

Damasovi
Old 05-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
If you have the skill and maturity, and 1000 won't be any different than a 600. If you don't, then both can kill you equally as well.
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200E XC
'82 GS650G
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
High-end sportbike suspension is sublime, the few short rides I've had. That incredibly planted, unshakable feeling is addicting.

They are almost universally geared tall, liter bikes more so, and require pretty high speeds to get into their 'happy zone'.

I'm sure you'll be fine but I bet you'd have more fun on the street on a 600 four, 675 triple, or 650-750 twin.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
. I have never own nor driven anything that fast and will like to do it. i
You should try it out even just around the block a few times. I had 1k of about that vintage and it was fast but where i live it's quicker getting around on a 250 dual sport and way more comfortable. I liked the quickness of it but thats about it, i traded it for a speed triple
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
You should try it out even just around the block a few times. I had 1k of about that vintage and it was fast but where i live it's quicker getting around on a 250 dual sport and way more comfortable. I liked the quickness of it but thats about it, i traded it for a speed triple
sure, since it is a friend I will ask him to lend it (with all or most of the cash in hand) for a Sunday ride, you know, some 100 mile ride, as we ride together he would come.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
How much time have you spent on the KLR (or just anything that isn't a scooter, really)?
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
If you have the skill and maturity, and 1000 won't be any different than a 600. If you don't, then both can kill you equally as well.
This.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
How much time have you spent on the KLR (or just anything that isn't a scooter, really)?
just a bit over 50 K miles on the KLR + 2 hondas, the scooter was like 6 K.

And I do believe I am a slow get to learn your bike, regardless of the cc.

Damasovi
Old 05-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 543
SV650.....ride a year....then go buy the liter bike.

I have been riding 40 years. On road, off road, comp license, raced cars, karts and bikes. I have no freaking clue what I could possibly do with a liter sport bike on the street that wouldn't end up bad.

Now I do have a ZRX1100...but it doesn't taunt me a like a sport bike would!!! I hardly ever crack the throttle on that thing and it is still way faster than I need.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
I downgraded after havinga R1 to a zx6 aand found I was faster on the 600. As you don't have to worry about flipping it as much you can concentrate on corners.
YMMV
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Honestly, I'd look at the 750 GSX-R first; probably the best real-world sportsbike out there.

If you like that one it's a relatively simple step to the 1000.

But, if you are a sportsbike newbie remember that Suzuki do not have may bells and whistles on the GSX-R range. They are, however, fairly user-friendly and roomier than the competition.

And put some sports-touring tyres on it like BT23/30 or PR3/4. You don't need Diablos unless you like trackdays.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Not a problem. Just short shift (say under 6K rpms) and concentrate on throttle control. If you are comfortable with beating on the KLR and going wide open throttle all the time, you may want to start practicing being very smooth and controlled.

Brakes will be another area to be very careful with. The brakes on the GSXR will be much more powerful than your KLR. No need for a heavy pull with 4 fingers. Probably a very light pull with two fingers.

Past Rides: '82 GL500, '00 YZ426, '01 DRZ400S, '04 ST4S
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
I went from a Honda XR650L to a Hayabusa and lived. Main thing is to have restraint and patience. A big help to me was taking Reg Pridmore's CLASS school and learning how to ride a sport bike. I had a 2005 GSXR-1000. Great bike but nuts-will do over 90mph in first gear.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Rovman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
SV650.....ride a year....then go buy the liter bike.

I have been riding 40 years. On road, off road, comp license, raced cars, karts and bikes. I have no freaking clue what I could possibly do with a liter sport bike on the street that wouldn't end up bad.

Now I do have a ZRX1100...but it doesn't taunt me a like a sport bike would!!! I hardly ever crack the throttle on that thing and it is still way faster than I need.
100% agreed. Many other smaller displacement , more appropriate bikes out there for the street. Liter bikes, if you are talking about a liter sport bike, or pretty close to race bikes these days. Granted it has a lot to do with the NUT behind the handlebars. In my earlier riding years, i must confess that the lure of riding the baddest bike out there was a temptation. But it was WAY better for me to work on my riding/racing skill set by riding a smaller displacement bike which forced me to perfect my riding skillset.

Once I started racing, my outlook on Street riding completely changed. I no longer felt the urge to ride the baddest bike my money could buy and concentrated on what would best fit my street riding mission.
06' BMW HP2 Enduro
06' Honda CRF50
Rovman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Sounds like you have plenty of experience and just the fact that you're worried about this at all tells me you'll be OK. Liter bikes build speed in a scenery blurring fashion, so throttle control is important. The reality is that nobody needs a bike that fast, but they are fun, and if you can get your hands on a nice unmolested example I wouldn't hesitate.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote