Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
if you plan on riding it mostly on the street, go for a smaller one. it's not that much fun constantly restraining your throttle hand all the time, and knowing that a little too much throttle (and i mean a *little* too much) in the city can paste you and the bike against a wall. if you spend a lot of time on the highway, it's more fun, but you still have to restrain yourself a lot. the only way you can really enjoy and really use a liter sportbike is take it to the track and take some classes. even then, you will most likely be slamming the throttle on the straights, and creeping around corners for quite some time.

and that vision-blurring acceleration, it's no joke. it is fucking exhilarating, though.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
as has been said if you want the liter bike and its in good shape, etc....go for it. insurance may be higher and what not, so remember all that

i had no riding experience with motorcycles before riding my 600cc FZ6 home in 10 miles of L.A. traffic. never even shifted a gear on a bike, really. but i rode it fine and am riding it quite well after two months. like you i had lot's of experience riding scooters, however. and you have motorcycle experience. i would say "don't worry" as you know how to control yourself, and are familiar with operating a motorcycle. throttle / clutch / brake. its all the same. more power with the liter bike, but you can manage it if you can manage your 650

finally just make sure you are and will be comfy with the ergonomics, etc. thats about it. based on my experience (or lack thereof) i'd say you're good to go with just about any bike you want and are comfortable with. not comfy with the idea of a liter bike? well, don't get it, i suppose. but if you can see yourself on one and are confident enough in your abilities i'd say go for it
Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
RadicalTireSkid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Not a problem. Just short shift (say under 6K rpms) and concentrate on throttle control. If you are comfortable with beating on the KLR and going wide open throttle all the time, you may want to start practicing being very smooth and controlled.

Brakes will be another area to be very careful with. The brakes on the GSXR will be much more powerful than your KLR. No need for a heavy pull with 4 fingers. Probably a very light pull with two fingers.
totally agree. I have a CBR600rr. just get the 1 liter and keep the RPMS under 5k and the throttle wont be too touchy. I barely go over 6k around town on a 600 because its not needed... still plenty of power. Then when its wide open highway let er rip and get used to the feel. But then again.. ull never get used to the feel. Blurred vision acceleration fury!
RadicalTireSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
With 50k mile under your belt, you are fine. Enjoy the ride, you have waaaay more than enough experience to be safe, have fun with it you only live once!
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #20
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
If you have the skill and maturity, and 1000 won't be any different than a 600. If you don't, then both can kill you equally as well.
The modern sport 600 will, indeed, be more than enough for any street based activity (& 95% of track based). Engine displacement is almost immaterial these days. The big advantage I see with super sports is the top shelf braking & suspension. If you are used to DP bikes & scooters, I think you are in for a pleasant surprise in the way these bikes can really utilize modern tire designs, for going, stopping, & turning. One advantage of the liter bike might be that if you should get into longer rides, it can make a very passable sport tourer. It's far cheaper & easier to make a sport bike more comfortable (aftermarket seats, bar risers, bigger windshields, etc.) than it is to try & give a DP, cruiser, or tourer the kind of frame, suspension, & brakes that are the hallmark of a current sport bike. As mentioned above, however, either size can put you in deep trouble very quickly, the liter bike will just do it lower in the rev range. Somewhere between 650cc - 850cc is my personal "sweet spot".
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #21
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
do it

1000 or 600 no matter just get one ..I find they are geared high so -1 /+2 on the sprockets makes them better for around town use..they heat up in traffic so change out your rad fluid right away when you get it home and go thru it..I love sportbikes for daily drivers- light,nimble, powerful and reliable [if you maintain them]..good luck on your purchase..
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #22
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,927
It is a hell of a lot of fun to ride a slow bike fast.

It is a pain in the ass to ride a fast bike slow.

As some one who stepped off the vintage old bike bandwagon and into a liter class v-twin sportbikes as his first sport bike.

I have to say, I enjoyed the hell out of the ride, but a 650class twin would have been a lot of as well.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #23
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
You can get a smaller bike but do you want to buy one bike or two in the next couple of years?

If you don't want to lose money on the first one you'll be fine with a liter bike as long as you respect it.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #24
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
Go for it! As others have said, your success depends on your respect of the power.

Not much compares to the torque of the liter bike. Power sliding heaven and wheelies galore.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #25
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolin View Post
if you plan on riding it mostly on the street, go for a smaller one. it's not that much fun constantly restraining your throttle hand all the time, and knowing that a little too much throttle (and i mean a *little* too much) in the city can paste you and the bike against a wall.

I rode my ZX14 around town a lot...I never felt like I was on the verge of being killed against a wall due to a "hair throttle".

A little too much throttle on any bike can result in bad things happening. The biggest variable isn't engine size, it's common sense size.
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200E XC
'82 GS650G
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 98
OP is no noob. If you can modulate the throttle on that 650, you can learn to modulate the gixxer 1k. If anything, the sportbike ergo will probably be a bigger challenge, coming from a sit-up-straight and plenty-of-legroom KLR. Focus on stabilizing your lower body and keep you arms relaxed, and you'll do fine.

With a good sportbike, all the controls respond quicker and more precisely. That's the good thing. The bad thing is... that will amplifier your bad habits, if you have any. Pick up "Twist of the Wrist II" book or video... or both. Learn from Keith Code and your sportbike experience will be much more rewarding.

If that '06 Gixxer is in good shape and priced right, I'd say go for it.

Prepare to get addicted.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I suggest sitting on, or trying to test ride all superbikes or supersports. I loved my 2007 gsxr, but one test ride on the daytona and I was sold. But, I spent the next 3 years being uncomfortable on the daytona. And there wasn't a whole lot I could have done to make the riding position any more comfortable. I'm younger and in shape, but a 500 mile ride left be paralyzed for the next couple days
If I ever go back to a sportbike I'll definitely go for a naked bike with a more upright position. They are a blast, just as fast, and way more comfortable for long days on the saddle.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #28
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,229

This guy seems to think he'd be OK.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
As many has writen, your no noob and you have learnd throtle control or atleast you should have.
The GSXR1K is powerfull and need to be treated with some respect, but its smooth and civlized with normal throtle use. First time i tested the ZX14 i was a litle sceard of the power after all the things i hade read about it, i was shocked of how smooth,civilezed and easy to drive it was, samething with the GSXR.

Just know that you might find it very uncomfortable in the begining due to a difrent body position and you might use a day or two to adjust.

You can sitt on a bike at a dealer, you can test ride it for 30min and you can listen to thousend of difrent opinions,look at difrent sites about how your messurments fits certen bikes but you will never know realy how you fitt a bike before you have driven on for a while.

If you realy want it, go for it. Worst case you sell it and buy another bike, but then you can say iv tried it but didnt like it.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #30
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
Thanks!

Everybody is making a valid point, even if they are black and white. I hope to barrow this bike for a weekend ride.

Nobody has mention the cost of ownership, I know it will be expensier than the KLR but the power comes with extra $$ maintenance, then again I do not expect to use it as much as my 650, or maybe even a 250 down the road.

Thanks and keep it coming

Damasovi