Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #31
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Thanks!

Everybody is making a valid point, even if they are black and white. I hope to barrow this bike for a weekend ride.

Nobody has mention the cost of ownership, I know it will be expensier than the KLR but the power comes with extra $$ maintenance, then again I do not expect to use it as much as my 650, or maybe even a 250 down the road.

Thanks and keep it coming

Damasovi
You dont buy a preformance bike to be economical
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #32
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Not sure about the rest of the opinions here, but I can vouch from experience. I owned the very same bike for approx 10K miles. Cost of ownership will boil down to oil, filter, tires & insurance. Everything else is rider dependent Bone stock, the bike plain works, needs nothing. You can probably spend some money initially for adjusting the rider triangle (clip ons, seat & rear sets) & get the suspension adjusted (set sag) for your weight.

The bike is very easy to ride slow & fast. It is very well mannered around town. You can put around on top gear at 40 mph & it wont complain. You can rev it to the moon & it will be fine Highway manners are fantastic, the engine purs at about 4800 RPM at 80 mph indicated. For a 160 hp superbike, it has great gas mileage. If you ride a sane pace, expect to see 45 mpg on stock exhaust. Those who say that supersports lack torque, haven't ridden one of these. At 3K rpm, the engine is already making 65 ft lbs of torque.

The engine is bulletproof. Many race/track engines have been opened up only to find the valves well within spec. Just use decent oil, keep the stock air filter & good plugs & the engine will work non stop.

When I bought my bike, it had a zero mile set of BT014 tires on it. They were on the bike when I sold them after 10 k miles & the rear just started to develop a flat spot. The power delivery is smooth enough that tires last longer than other super sports.

Buy it & ride it as much as you want, it is a very rewarding experience. I commuted 110 miles on it daily & days when i would commute to school after work, my per day usage would be 170 miles. Even then I was quite comfy on it.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #33
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
You dont buy a preformance bike to be economical
Does a super hot woman spend a log of money on.. i get it! Sorry lol!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #34
rpmwfo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Buy it! Life is to short not to try a new bike. The 2005 and 2006 GSXR 1000 are awesome(some would say the best of the last few generations). Almost bullet proof. Plenty of power. Easy to ride. I am always on the look out for a lightly used/well maintained 2006 GSXR 1000. Great bikes.

As for living with a sport bike or liter bike-the ZX12R was my only vehicle for almost 8 years. I commuted, traveled, etc. The only thing I have found to suck on sport bikes is sitting in stop and go traffic in the middle of summer(they all put off major heat).

They really only go as fast as you twist the wrist. The power, handling, chassis, and brakes are on a entirely different plane of existence compared to your KLR.
2003 ZX12R
2013 KTM RC8R
rpmwfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #35
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
Buy it!
The power, handling, chassis, and brakes are on a entirely different plane of existence compared to your KLR.
that is the point! I do not want a better KLR, I want something very different. I just have to let some time pass and save $$ enough and be done with it.

Thanks, & Cheers

Damasovi
Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #36
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Ahem

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Not sure about the rest of the opinions here, but I can vouch from experience. I owned the very same bike for approx 10K miles. Cost of ownership will boil down to oil, filter, tires & insurance. Everything else is rider dependent Bone stock, the bike plain works, needs nothing. You can probably spend some money initially for adjusting the rider triangle (clip ons, seat & rear sets) & get the suspension adjusted (set sag) for your weight.

The bike is very easy to ride slow & fast. It is very well mannered around town. You can put around on top gear at 40 mph & it wont complain. You can rev it to the moon & it will be fine Highway manners are fantastic, the engine purs at about 4800 RPM at 80 mph indicated. For a 160 hp superbike, it has great gas mileage. If you ride a sane pace, expect to see 45 mpg on stock exhaust. Those who say that supersports lack torque, haven't ridden one of these. At 3K rpm, the engine is already making 65 ft lbs of torque.

The engine is bulletproof. Many race/track engines have been opened up only to find the valves well within spec. Just use decent oil, keep the stock air filter & good plugs & the engine will work non stop.

When I bought my bike, it had a zero mile set of BT014 tires on it. They were on the bike when I sold them after 10 k miles & the rear just started to develop a flat spot. The power delivery is smooth enough that tires last longer than other super sports.

Buy it & ride it as much as you want, it is a very rewarding experience. I commuted 110 miles on it daily & days when i would commute to school after work, my per day usage would be 170 miles. Even then I was quite comfy on it.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #37
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
if anything i think because OP is an experienced rider the "problem" at first will be the opposite of the hopeless n00b

moving up to a 600cc I4 from 150cc i respected the power too much. of course a 600cc is not 1000cc but it still takes off loud and strong if the wrist is twisted with gusto

for a few hundred miles i was just learning the bike and becoming accustomed to the rev's, volume, and feeling that a too hard pull on the throttle would yank me backward off the bike. of course it would not, but that is the feeling i got. did not help all the things i read about a bike "getting you into trouble" and what not

if anything i think a liter bike might be easier to manage for an already experienced rider. sounds to me like the additional torque will make it a less shifty beast while learning the bike, and its a nice, powerful machine that acts as a rider ask it too once familiar

oh boy. i think i want a liter bike, now. nothing crazy just one of those detuned "standards" like the Yammy FZ1 or Honda CBR1000R. SV1000S? could be. but, not yet. i still loves the 600 and most likely will for some time. but i gotta get another bike....sometime!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #38
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
I know this isn't jo momma, but I'm surprise no one has picked up that he's looking for a different experience than a DP...

Kidding aside, and not knowing damasovi or the bike much, he (you) aren't a noob and have ridden a number of different bikes so won't likely freak if something goes wrong. After recently getting a bmw r1100s as my first sort of real sport bike, I don't think a jump like that will be too extreme. From some of the responses, seems like a good bike. I say give it a shot.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #39
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,012
Don't overlook insurance (sorry if this was already said)
1K cc bikes have some staggeringly high insurance rates.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #40
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
True. But then, so are 600SS. Even nakeds and streetfighters are getting up there. The expensive part is typically comp and collision, but an 8yr old sportbike is not too bad, since the value has depreciated substantially.
Volfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #41
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
thanks for the pointer her, how ever this is not a problem since insurance is not mandatory for older bikes, only 2008 and newer bikes require insurances.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 05-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #42
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 715
Dont be a pussy, buy the 1000

Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27

Kawasakirob screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 05:22 AM
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #43
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
thanks for the pointer her, how ever this is not a problem since insurance is not mandatory for older bikes, only 2008 and newer bikes require insurances.
Damasovi
Uh... not sure where you got this info, and I know California is a weird place and all, but I am pretty sure that's wrong. You must always have liability. If you finance at all, you will need comprehensive. I just looked at a CB1000R and with 20 years of riding experience, and no claims ever (auto or motorcycle) my insurance payment was higher than the monthly bike payment!

I have a 130+ HP GPZ1100 in my garage. If you respect it, it is a wonderful user-friendly bike. But there are particulars specific to the liter+ engine, like ripping the throttle open when you are still in a lean coming out of a turn, that you just do not do.

A 1000cc supersport will do everything about twice as quick... that includes getting you into trouble and exponentially increasing the resulting damage. Not saying don't do it, but be careful. Those insurance rates aren't sky high for no reason ;)
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #44
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

hi there Skidmarkat,

I do not live in California, I live in Mexico,so I am correct about the insurance thing. I do not get it why a new bike need insurances and an older model not, if the law was how I see it, we all would need it.

I do get insurances when i go to the usa, either the insurance by day or a month, 6 or 12 months.

Thanks for your post.

Damasovi
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #45
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
hi there Skidmarkat,

I do not live in California, I live in Mexico,so I am correct about the insurance thing.

Damasovi
Sorry totally missed that.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote