Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #46
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I have had a sport bike for almost 30 years now either a 600 or 750, have ridden a few liter bikes, I've never had the need for more power than a 750. The 06 GSXR 1000, is the bike the 1st S1000RR were patterned after, they have really strong midrange power even when compared to newer liter bikes, throttle control is the key if you purchase a liter bike, things you might get away with on the middleweight, are going to be amplified on it. Test ride the bike, try to test ride a 600 or 750 also or a 675 triple. I have an 05 GSXR 750 use for track, hasn't been on the street for 2-3 yrs now, two 675's Daytona and Street Triple, they all have plenty of power and are easier to ride for me than a liter bike. For a street bike or daily rider a sport bike gets uncomfortable(54YO, knees aren't what they once were), Daytona is a fun bike but it can only be made so comfortable(helibars and Street Triple pegs, but around town under seat exhaust is nut roasting hot). An older 750 from 05 on with a lsl bar kit and adjustable pegs would be a fun setup, whatever you choose, check insurance rates(GSXR seems to raise the rate, the triumph's are less), a Kawasaki 636 is another option, but if were me, for a 1st foray into sport bikes, I would find a Street Triple, preferably an R model, deals are popping up, with a low mount pipe, it is fun and has plenty of power especially coming from a KLR.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #47
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
As others have mentioned, check the insurance rates first. When I moved up to a bigger bike after my very first bike, I had my heart set on a Kawasaki ZRX 1200. The insurance was almost 1.5X the value of the bike. I ended up with a Bandit 1200 that was a fraction to insure at about $600 a year. Some bikes have insanely high rates i.e. Hayabusa and GSXR 1000 seem to be pretty high in certain parts of the country. I would definitely find this out before buying anything.