Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #16
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMark View Post
Yee-haw, this is my first ever post on ADV Rider. It seems perfect timing that this thread started on the day I started surfing this site. This is the reason why I bought a Tiger. I wanted something street worthy but also something to get dirty. Sadly, my Tiger has yet to kiss dirt. Living in the urban sprawl of Chicago makes it challenging to find trails. Soon, though. Looking forward to more awesome contributions to this thread.
Welcome ChicagoMark! I hope you find many ways how not to use your motorcycle here

Hopefully you can find some fun. I think my driveway has more hills than I remember out there. It's a full days ride to New England, but only a few hours to get to the appalachians, so get some camping gear ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237723 ) and get outa Dodge!
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
What gearing do you use and how is your clutch? That video did not look like the standard 8 mph the tiger wants to travel in first gear.
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #18
boinoodle OP
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab bait View Post
What gearing do you use and how is your clutch? That video did not look like the standard 8 mph the tiger wants to travel in first gear.
15 tooth front, stock rear

I think I got these levers but through US ebay

Slipping the clutch is a critical skill for Extreme Mayhem

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #19
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab bait View Post
Fortunately, ours is a wet clutch, so can handle slow speed crawling while working the clutch. A few of us dropped a tooth on the primary drive gear which helps a lot going slow.

The tiger would benefit from drive by wire and reduces throttle input when bouncing around over rocks and off road, but we don't have that luxury on the 800 engine. The fancy BMW's have it, but you might as well buy a well appointed small car for the price. I can't find the dialing in the xc for the dirt thread, which I thought had that post for the gear. Here's what I got: http://www.amazon.com/Renthal-Ultral.../dp/B000GU05IG
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #20
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
15 tooth front, stock rear

I think I got these levers but through US ebay

And just get that brand lever. I got a different ebay one and they didn't push the sensor when the clutch was engaged. That made the ECU think it was always pulled, which cut performance and made the gas gauge and trip info not work. Cost me $250 in point to point diagnostics for them to tell me that.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I'll probably have some better stuff shortly, but I tried riding in 6" of snow this winter

Then 6" of sand in SOuth Carolina, but no good videos from that.

updated the link. should work now.
Screw some grip studs into those tires and your snow riding adventures will take a new turn for the better. They are a little expensive (last forever in the snow), and do not work well on paved road without a layer of snow or ice, but in the dirt, tons of winter fun. Using a 50% worn tire in the rear and a cheap TR8 up front will give you an extra set of tires just for the winter...
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #22
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
...as is standing up while riding...except when Mrs. is on the back daul sporting. I adjusted my bars for standing comfort, and stand 90%, even on the street.

+1 on the 15 tooth sprocket. Best $21 you will spend for the dirt...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #23
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
Screw some grip studs into those tires and your snow riding adventures will take a new turn for the better. They are a little expensive (last forever in the snow), and do not work well on paved road without a layer of snow or ice, but in the dirt, tons of winter fun. Using a 50% worn tire in the rear and a cheap TR8 up front will give you an extra set of tires just for the winter...
I just put a new set of scorpion rally's on, so what else was I supposed to do. I didn't want to dig up my yard too much so there was 6" of snow after a couple inches of rain. The wet grass over soggy clay didn't give much traction and I couldn't get enough momentum to get back up the hill.

Made the wife push
Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #24
boinoodle OP
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I just put a new set of scorpion rally's on, so what else was I supposed to do. I didn't want to dig up my yard too much so there was 6" of snow after a couple inches of rain. The wet grass over soggy clay didn't give much traction and I couldn't get enough momentum to get back up the hill.

Made the wife push
I usually run the Mitas E-07 on back but have the rally on both F and B now. I took my electric chain saw and cut down the middle of every other block and it seams to help. One more weekend than it's back to rally front E-07 rear

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #25
anjizkit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
this thread is gonna be fun.. just put on TKC 80s on my Tiger 800 .. yups.. on the rodie version

gonan ride some gravel this weeked.. willl keep posted
anjizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #26
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjizkit View Post
this thread is gonna be fun.. just put on TKC 80s on my Tiger 800 .. yups.. on the rodie version

gonan ride some gravel this weeked.. willl keep posted
Don't forget to work the clutch and stand up straight and keep your heels down!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #27
btao
Pwned

Wtf?

BTW, I just want to let it be known, that I just took out a stink bug on my cubical wall with a bent paperclip and a rubber band, first try from 6' away.

That's how a Tiger rolls.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #28
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
BTW, I just want to let it be known, that I just took out a stink bug on my cubical wall with a bent paperclip and a rubber band, first try from 6' away.

That's how a Tiger rolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Cue the music.

That's hilarious
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #29
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Working on a short video of our ride last weekend, but here is a taste. "You can't ride that 500 pound bike up a muddy, root filled uphill...WITH A PASSENGER!!"

Well, yes you can...

Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #30
boinoodle OP
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
Working on a short video of our ride last weekend, but here is a taste. "You can't ride that 500 pound bike up a muddy, root filled uphill...WITH A PASSENGER!!"

Well, yes you can...

Can't wait to see it
I should have some good footage after next weeks BBA ride

Lord John Whorfin