Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #76
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,363
I don't know if I post this here or in the Tiger 800 problems thread. It fits both. Basically I want to find out about solutions to the stepper motor problem. What have you done to keep it working within specs when riding on dirt?

It seems WD40 would perhaps help accumulate more dirt to it. What about instead of WD40 an air duster of sorts aimed at the stepper motor actuator?

Has anyone manage to envelope the thing with a foam filter?

Here is a video showing what I did last weekend and what happened to the Tiger after 200 miles of dirt.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #77
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I don't know if I post this here or in the Tiger 800 problems thread. It fits both. Basically I want to find out about solutions to the stepper motor problem. What have you done to keep it working within specs when riding on dirt?

It seems WD40 would perhaps help accumulate more dirt to it. What about instead of WD40 an air duster of sorts aimed at the stepper motor actuator?

Here is a video showing what I did last weekend and what happened to the Tiger after 200 miles of dirt.

Thanks!
I've tried the solutions posted on this site (lots and lots and lots of discussion on this issue) to try and solve the issue during a ride, but none have worked. Pulled that tank last weekend. Cleaned the entire area with contact cleaner. blow dry. Spray all linkage with dry lube, as this will not attract dust. Lubed stepper shaft under boot. So far so good, but have not hit much dirt yet...but the weekend is approaching.

I've considered building a small idle adjustment screw tab that won't let the idle drop too low and leaving everything else in place, but not sure if that will even work.

With that said, this isn't the right thread for this discussion. Prepping the Tiger for the dirt is the correct thread. Might do a search.

Rick

forgetthecouch.com for my ride reports
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #78
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Try this.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,6806.20.html

Quote:

Thanks!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #79
boinoodle OP
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:

Thanks!
Oh man how I miss going through cattle gates and thousands of square miles of open space! Lucky man you are.

I'm contently dealing with stepper motor issues and haven't come up with a perfect, or near perfect, fix yet. I just got a service manual and the stepper motor they show, has a spring above the boot, I'm wondering if it's new for 2013 or 14?
I'm getting pretty good at holding a low idle at stops and messing in the woods, pain in the ass, but better tan stalling. Some people swear by oiling the roller that meets the stepper motor, others oiling the shaft under the boot, don't know of a solid fix.

I'm going in for ACL surgery in 5-8 weeks, so no riding for the rest of the year. I'll have a LOT of time to mess with this and other issues, like trying to come up with a true skid plate.
That or sitting around drinking beer

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #80
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
I've tried the solutions posted on this site (lots and lots and lots of discussion on this issue) to try and solve the issue during a ride, but none have worked. Pulled that tank last weekend. Cleaned the entire area with contact cleaner. blow dry. Spray all linkage with dry lube, as this will not attract dust. Lubed stepper shaft under boot. So far so good, but have not hit much dirt yet...but the weekend is approaching.

I've considered building a small idle adjustment screw tab that won't let the idle drop too low and leaving everything else in place, but not sure if that will even work.

With that said, this isn't the right thread for this discussion. Prepping the Tiger for the dirt is the correct thread. Might do a search.

Rick
Thanks! And well, keep me posted. Over the weekend I will wash the bike and will check my air filter and in the process, will take a closer look at the stepper motor.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #81
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
thanks!

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #82
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Oh man how I miss going through cattle gates and thousands of square miles of open space! Lucky man you are.

I'm contently dealing with stepper motor issues and haven't come up with a perfect, or near perfect, fix yet. I just got a service manual and the stepper motor they show, has a spring above the boot, I'm wondering if it's new for 2013 or 14?
I'm getting pretty good at holding a low idle at stops and messing in the woods, pain in the ass, but better tan stalling. Some people swear by oiling the roller that meets the stepper motor, others oiling the shaft under the boot, don't know of a solid fix.

I'm going in for ACL surgery in 5-8 weeks, so no riding for the rest of the year. I'll have a LOT of time to mess with this and other issues, like trying to come up with a true skid plate.
Yes I'm lucky. But not for long, my job may change and I may need to move... At least I'm enjoying the high desert while I can. And about your ACL, bummer man! I wish you a good recovery.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #83
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Dude, don't you know that winter time is for getting yourself fixed? Summer is for riding.

forgetthecouch.com for my ride reports
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #84
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Dude, don't you know that winter time is for getting yourself fixed? Summer is for riding.
Listen to the professor!

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #85
boinoodle OP
Old and Cautious

Quote:
If I wait till winter I'll miss the killer sloppy spring riding. 9-12 month recovery. All the good organized rides are over, another killler weekend coming up, a trip to Tahoe and then surgery. May be able to get some turn for spring skiing and then 100% by springtime. I also have a final masters project due so this will help me dedicate the time I need to it.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #86
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 763
Quote:

I would start be taking off the silly reflector things on the rear fender. I did that first thing and I haven't really had any stepper motor issues.

Just saying..........

That area looks like a blast. I would love to get out to that part of the country.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #87
boinoodle OP
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
I would start be taking off the silly reflector things on the rear fender. I did that first thing and I haven't really had any stepper motor issues.

Just saying..........

That area looks like a blast. I would love to get out to that part of the country.
If I said it once, I've said t a thousand times, washing the bike is the root cause of all mechanical issues. I went all spring with no stepper/idle issues, I started having problems within a week of washing the bike

Lord John Whorfin
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #88
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post

Just saying..........

I have this bike since July 2011. That's what... 3 years already? I never noticed this reflector things you are talking about... But I bet that is not what makes it not idle after riding on dirt.

I just want it to work as it should. The rest is for the people hanging out at Starbucks.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 06-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #89
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
+1

...or take unknown steep downhill trails that I might not be able to ride back up...
That's one of my rules also.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #90
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 931
One thing with motorcycles that I do is avoid high pressure water spray. No power washing or jet spray from the hose. When I clean it, just wet it down and use a mitt. On bikes there are so many poorly sealed areas that I just don't risk it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
btao is offline   Reply With Quote