Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #106
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
1. 15 tooth works fine. I might try one tooth larger on the rear when I swap rear sprocket and chain. Might as well order the 15 tooth when you buy the bike, as it's a necessary change.

2. Not sure there is a good belly plate on the market that protects the oil filter. I used an Altrider plate and built a small removable plate to cover the filter:

3. Stepper motor is a weak point, but wouldn't keep me from buying the bike again. I cleaned and used dry lube about 1500 miles ago, and the issue has not appeared again. Jury is still out.

4. I think I am the first one to try the Barnett clutches, but they have not yet arrived. As soon as they arrive I will install to make sure they work and report back. The fun part is next...torture testing the clutch plates.

Crash guard discussion elsewhere, and lots of opinions, so using search is the best way to find this info...

Finally, KLR is a very capable machine (we replaced two with the Tiger), but the fun factor of the Tiger is no comparison...IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by doniton2 View Post
I’m interested in that in that Banret clutch too. I’m not real happy with the stock one. I would also love to find a weighted fly wheel. the bike is very capable as you can see but the one thing I didn’t think about when switching from my KLR is picking it up. I’ve also raised mine and that makes it even harder. I think with a new clutch and a weighted flywheel I wouldn’t have to pick it up near as much because most of the time I drop it it’s on a hill, it stalls and the ground is either out of reach or slick.
Thanks a bunch for the feedback. You guys are pointing out the truly critical things for the more extreme riding, that's what I was looking for. I know the bike can cruise through the easier stuff, but it's a matter of replacing the KLR for the slightly gnarlier stuff (not crazy but sometimes you get in deep) and what will it take.

The issue of picking it up is at the top of my list of concerns. I can pick it up, it's a matter footing etc. It's what has kept me from riding my Stelvio in the dirt more. The bike works well in the dirt for what it is, but it's so friggen heavy that every stop has to be planned carefully and god forbid you dump it in a bad place.

From listening to the videos it seems like some extra flywheel weight would help quite a bit for the chug factor. The super heavy flywheel on the Stelvio is like magic in the dirt, same for the KLR. The tractor factor is quite good on both bikes.

I'll keep an eye on the stepper motor fix development and wait for the kevlar clutch feedback.

It would be sometime next year for me to change up if it makes sense. I've been looking at these bikes for a couple years now. A couple bikes have come and gone in the garage in the mean time and this is the next possible change out.

I'll keep watching this thread as it's been one of the best for me in terms of seeing what's happening with the bikes in the real world. The photos of parts etc. don't tell the story the videos do, especially those with a natural sound track.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #107
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
From listening to the videos it seems like some extra flywheel weight would help quite a bit for the chug factor. The super heavy flywheel on the Stelvio is like magic in the dirt, same for the KLR. The tractor factor is quite good on both bikes.
The Tiger800s do it with clever fuel injection mapping. If the clutch is fully home it engages an extra 100rpm on the tickover speed and has a diesel like anti stall property. It'll pull you up quite steep hills at tickover.
A heavier flywheel would wreck its sporty nature in the higher rev range IMO.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:12 AM   #108
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The Tiger800s do it with clever fuel injection mapping. If the clutch is fully home it engages an extra 100rpm on the tickover speed and has a diesel like anti stall property. It'll pull you up quite steep hills at tickover.
Exactly, i noticed this a few times while going over some narly stuff at very low speeds. I was sure the engine would die out. But nop. She pulles like a tractor.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #109
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
This...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #110
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
How a Tiger 800XC deals with a KTM 950 Adv

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #111
doniton2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Mine sure doesn't have anything like this. It hates slow technical steep up hills.
doniton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #112
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,850
Define "tickover".
ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #113
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
Define "tickover".
Engine idle RPM.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #114
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
I'll second this. After riding through all sorts of mud and slop, rocks, etc., as long as it's not too steep, it'll keep going even with no throttle. If there's nothing in the way and you slow down with no brake, hold on, because it'll kick the idle back in robustly. Doesn't always work perfect, so keep that hand on the clutch, but it is pretty cool.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #115
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Mine sure doesn't have anything like this. It hates slow technical steep up hills.
What tune are you running? Because this was introduced since the first bikes were stalling on overrun. If you have an original bike with the original tune 20477................ it won't have it.
Or maybe your steep is too steep. It does have its limits.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #116
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Considering I stalled mine in traffic today.......

Tune was put in last August.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #117
doniton2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
What tune are you running? Because this was introduced since the first bikes were stalling on overrun. If you have an original bike with the original tune 20477................ it won't have it.
Or maybe your steep is too steep. It does have its limits.
I have a 2012 with the stock tune I guess. I'm the second owner. It still has the stock pipe and the guy who had it before me didn't get to crazy on it.
doniton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #118
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
How a Tiger 800XC deals with a KTM 950 Adv

Could've passed that 950 on a Gold Wing - Lets see what happens when you actually go off road....

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #119
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
I have a 2012 with the stock tune I guess. I'm the second owner. It still has the stock pipe and the guy who had it before me didn't get to crazy on it.
Get it checked. Or download Tuneecu and learn how to do it yourself.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #120
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,752
I just got some Karoo 3s put on my 800 Roadie last week, so another local inmate w/ a relatively new GSA decided we needed to do a little exploring and also try and get a feel for our comfort zones off-road (we're both relative off-road noobs). We found some local dirt roads that ended up having some relatively deep sand in spots. It got a little hairy in spots, but we made it through with only one Tiger nap.

I was following this thread, and remembered about the 'fuel injection tractor mode', and it did work in some places, but I think I still managed to fry the clutch. On the way home, I just could not get the bike to pull in any gear over ~6k or so. Sucks.... as I'm supposed to do the AltRider Conserve the Ride next weekend...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote