User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I hugged a tree last Saturday

Last weekend was my first (and hopefully not last) camping/riding trip in the NJ Pine Barrens. Drove down Friday night, setup camp, started a fire and went to bed. Saturday morning my buddy and I woke up, unloaded the bikes (klx 250 "mine" and a huskey 310) and meet our "tour guide" around 9. I was having a blast. Being relatively new to sand I had quite the learning curve to over come. Around 1ish our tour guide left us to our own devices. So we returned to camp to fill up, I was feeling pretty confindent only fell over twice once in some slick mud and the other time spinning around in some soft sand.

Off we went to explore the pines Whoops everywhere Big Puddles, Go Arounds and long streches of sugar sand far as the eye could see. Best day I've had riding to date.

We reach the halfway point of the huskey's gas tank and start heading back to camp. I am really starting to get into the groove getting air on every whoop skipping a few here and there. Then I come off a whoop with my wheel turned ever so slightly....

I land and head right off the trail at 35mph and whats right at the edge of the trail?
This lovely tree that just wanted a hug. The top hit is my handle bars no idea what the bottom one is.

I caught the tree with my left shoulder, rolled landed on my back and slid a few feet. Got up dusted myself off and went looking for my bike. Got back on and rode the trail nice and slow. My buddy had turned around and came looking for me by then. We headed back to the camp my shoulder hurting a little but not to bad. However by about 6pm my whole arm was hard to move my wrist had swollen and I was in pain. Sunday we drove back and I went to the ER. Lucky for me nothing broken. Today I feel pretty good slight pain in the back of the shoulder if I move to fast or sneeze. My handguards saved my hands no damage to my little fingers at all. I bought those the week before, for this trip.

So that was my first crash I've learned that you can't stop focusing even for a second and that gear is good.
MudNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
You got lucky on that one.

My normal riding area, and yes, you have to be on the ball all the time, or you go down or hit something, and you often hit something or fall anyway.

Its tight, and slippery, and sandy, with whoops, ruts, roots, and puddles that are 4 inches or 4 feet deep.
Really light bikes with knobby's on them work well here.

I have been air lifted from Green Bank right down the road from there.

Great area, just keep in mind there are other bikers, plus hikers, jeeps, horses and the Jersey Devil to watch out for...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
2wdrift
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
re

Tree huggers....

Glad you are ok....

Try aiming for something softer next time
2wdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Come on now the Jersey Devil lives up in the delware water gap
I know I was lucky I just got to into for my skill level. I need to go back down with some slow guys and just take it easy, riding slow is fun too.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Sause
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I've hit alot of them in Wharton. good times!

get stronger bars and steel bark busters! I broke the Aluminum one off after a few months trying to keep up with the South Jersey Enduro Riders. They called me crash-a-thon...
Sause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
MudNation OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My bar is steel how does one get stronger than that? Most aftermarket is alum. My bark busters held up pretty good I think. I sent acerbis a thank you letter for making a decent product and now I am getting a tee that only cost me a week worth of riding
Old 05-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
No, its not really any fun riding slow.
The trick is riding a bike that feels fast at lower speeds, safer for the trees...

Last I heard, the helicopter ride is $7000.00.
Or maybe it was $14,000.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNation View Post
Come on now the Jersey Devil lives up in the delware water gap
I know I was lucky I just got to into for my skill level. I need to go back down with some slow guys and just take it easy, riding slow is fun too.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
bka0721
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Glad you are o.k. Just remember you had a full day before that tree ran out in front of you. Fatigue starts settling in, as does your reaction time. Be sure to keep your ego and skill level in check. One thing most racers learn, run your own line and at your own skill level. Those other guys should know to run only as fast as the slowest rider.

Thanks for sharing so others can learn.

b
bka0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
That's why they call 'em Barkbusters! If I had to guess I'd say the lower scrape was from your footpeg.

I also jump/wheelie across whoops in single track and my dad tut-tuts at me for doing so. In my view, it takes half the effort to link them together. However, if something goes wrong, you're going faster and it's going to hurt more.

Heal up quick!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 470
I'm the friend and hadn't realized Mud had posted this.

3 years ago or so I asked some southern riders if they would show me around. The guy I ended up riding with, I still ride with today.

It goes like this - we start, i see him again when we/he stops or there is a turn.

My mentality is I stay within my skill level, don't attempt to keep up. He's cool & doesn't give me shit if he has to wait. Plus, I like riding sweep and not dealing with someone up my ass like its an enduro. Let's me roll at my pace with little pressure.

Mud knows, we discussed as much on the ride down. I said "careful on the sand whoops, they'll toss you and me off them at the worst time"

And thats what he did, stayed within his skill level all day. I watched closely all morning and afternoon to see. I gave the finger to anyone I passed going the opposite way (pointer)

When I realized that something was up, I turned back and went looking. I did start to think bad things in my head.

A minute later I saw him coming down the trail towards me, when he got close I could see a sheepish sort of grin. Kid has grit.

me: Are you ok?
Mud: I bent the shit out of my handlebars
me: Are you ok?
Mud: you have to come see this tree!

I did feel guilty and thought about if I had been going slower through that whoop section, which I have a love/F'ingHate relationship with, that I would have slowed him down and his excitement. He wasn't drained, he was enthusiastic

Idk, sometimes shit just happens.

For instance: Where the f*ck is my bike
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Glad it was an easy one on you!
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
SGBoy
New Guy

Oddometer: 40