User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
focallength OP
?

Oddometer: 4,463
Helmet headphones?

ive tried all the standard ear buds and variants,nothing truly works well enough, often theres too much wind noise or they wiggle out of my ears(s).

So, anyone got anything that works w/o a visor? Do I need to get some $100 noise cancelling head phones?
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
boredom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I just use some cheap Sony earbuds with the cord wrapped up around my ears, and then ran down my back under my jacket. They never wiggle out that way (also a lot more comfortable,) and when the cable gets tugged from me pivoting or whatever, they don't fall out. Also helps to use the size nubs that fit your ear best.
boredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,831
Have you tried S plugs?? Kind of pricey but I find them comfortable.

http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_ste...rbuds_s/67.htm
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,538
I use these.
As you could see yesterday, they work.

All I could think was, "What kind of line is this guy feeding me?"

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
focallength OP
?

Oddometer: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
I use these.
As you could see yesterday, they work.

All I could think was, "What kind of line is this guy feeding me?"
I was trying to sell you some speakers

I always feel like a dork telling people who I am by my screen name...ITs me! Focallength! Inside Im thinking...gawd Im such a idiot

actually when I saw you unpluging I was thinking...I wonder what kind of headphones she uses...I rode hwy1 last weekend and I had the entire highway to my self, as a consequence I was going waaay to fast and couldnt hear my music!
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #6
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
You can get different sizes of foam/silicone for most all the brands of earbuds out there. I can't believe with some experimentation, that you couldn't find something that would stay in your ears.

You can always get custom plugs made as well. That's really the best way to combat wind noise. You still have to watch cord noise though.

Right now, I'm using the speakers in the bluetooth communicator headset I have, and I can hear music, but a lot of it gets lost because of wind noise in my helmet. Then again, I ride a GS, and know I'll never get rid of the wind noise. Not bad at lower backroads speed, but on the highway it's kind of worthless.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I have a J&M headset in my helmet. Their stuff is pricey, but it works pretty well, and if something breaks, the company has been good about standing behind their product, at least in my case. I cannot stand to wear earbuds in a helmet - the cord always gets yanked and then one or both is loose or falls out and it's a distraction. I wear regular earplugs from Home Depot to filter wind noise and the J&M comes through those well.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,269
For years I've been riding with variations of Etymotic's low-end earbuds. I love them because they fit way down into your ear canals, which both isolates wind noise and also allows you to put on a helmet without dislodging them so easily as most earbuds.

Not surprisingly, Etymotic's sound quality is head and shoulders above most brands, even at the very low end of their product line. If you you have more $ to spend, the sound gets much better as you climb up their product line. These are the model I'm currently using, which sell for less than $50:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...words=etymotic

I also found that I could modify many standard earbuds by fitting Etymotic's in-ear rubber fittings onto them. I now have three pairs of earbuds that all fit into my ear canal deeply enough to put a helmet on, even though they started as simple earbuds that fall out easily. The white pair in this photo are not made by Etymotic. They are cheapies that came with a digital MP3 player. But the Etymotic rubber pieces fit, and they make a huge improvement in noise isolation and resulting sound quality. The other earpieces you see in this photo are the various spares that come with Etymotic earbuds, so you can choose the type of bud that works best in your ears. all of them are available separately as well.

Cowboy screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 11:55 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
WestTXDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
http://earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

I've had the older version, Competition Sports Monitors for about 10 years and just ordered these. I wear them for everything, flying, mowing the yard, and alway when riding. I ride with the Sena headset set up with the earbud base. I can listen to the phone, XM, etc. Pricey at $300, but they over the life of them, it's not that bad. You make an appointment with a local audiologist and have impressions made, send them to EAR and in about 10 days you are GTG.
2002 BMW R1150RT Silver
IBA#22317
KE5EXE
WestTXDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: