Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Oddometer: 484
This is a touring bike, right? Taking my TUx to Tennessee (for RDV)

Last summer, having been riding for a total of two months, I decided to ride from Philadelphia to New Orleans on Sophia, my trusty tu250.

Aside from a mishap involving a jump, and a scare involving a small pond disguised as a puddle, it went off without a hitch.

I was hooked on mountains, and on touring.

And days after returning, I started to plan for a coast to coast trip this summer. However, I (un)fortunately managed to book a couple of gigs this summer so that won't allow for that kind of time.

Then I heard about these clowns (morans? I don't know how we use that word)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918277

So, I pulled out the maps and started planning a route.

Realizing that Sophia lacked the most important part of a touring bike - a surface to mount stickers - I put a pair of small ammo cans on the back.

These are for my tools, rain gear, and other small essentials. And stickers, naturally.

Right now the route down looks like it'll be out to Frostburg to visit a friend then through WV. The way back up will be the BRP. This is provisional, since I ended up with a bit more time off than I planned (win).

Probably going to stay at the New River park in WV on the way down, and keep further west than I originally planned on the way up too.

Any recommendations for roads, places to stay, things to see on the way, or down in Tennessee are highly appreciated.

Prettyboy screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 01:58 PM
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
pridemore1
Rides slow real slow

Oddometer: 127
Ive been looking at the TU 250 for my daughter. Ill have to check it out at RDV.
pridemore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I'll see you at RDV bro! Looking forward to seeing a loaded up tux bombing up the road to the party.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

I have too much stuff... Again.

Today is the final shakedown and prep for my departure tomorrow morning, and so my gear explodes across the living room.

We've got the riding gear, with the all important keffiyeh.

The camping gear, hopefully the new hammock setup works out.

Whisperlite int. for cooking

And various tools and sundry.

And here's the package.

We shall see if I change my mind about anything before departure.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Camarodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Will try to follow, I like the humor already.
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Day 1: Philly to Frostburg.

I really hope it doesn't start pouring as I write this. That wouldn't be fun.

Anyway, the start of the day was pretty weak, but it got significantly better the further west I got, no surprise.

I got out of the house around eight, which is pretty damn early for a bartender. Sophia was loaded up and ready to play the part of adventure bike.

Getting out of philly was a pain, and it was entirely my fault. After taking i676 across town I saw a sign for us30 and decided now was as good a time as anyway to get off the slab.

Wrong.

I was still in the middle I the city. I promptly made a wrong turn and lost 30.

Determined not to stop, I pushed west and eventually found my way back to US30 a bit outside of Westchester.

Riding was alright, if boring, and I was happy to be out of the city, but then the rain started. By Lancaster it was pouring.

As good a time as any to try the frog togs I guess.

That was actually where the day started to look up. The rain stopped by York, and by Gettysburg it was beautiful out.

After lunch and gas (and coffee, it was still morning in my world), I pushed on, an te road rewarded me with some warmup twisties about 50miles west of Gettysburg.

I was glad of the easy curves because I am a total flatlander myself, and a city boy at that. I haven't been on a decent road since I dragged that peg on us50 in August.

I survived some mountains, and really was hitting a groove at 200 miles, and that brings me to where I am now, sitting under a tree at Frostburg State University hoping these dark clouds which have been spitting on my don't decide to open up.

I'm staying with a friend from home tonight, but for now I am waiting for her to get out of class.

Stay tunes tomorrow when I tackle the West Virginia Backwoods, and the twistiest highway i could find.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Minimal touring at its finest! Good luck man!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
scout5
n00b

Oddometer: 8
nice

I considered getting this bike last year. Good to know it can go just about anywhere!
scout5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

This is a touring bike, right? Taking my TUx to Tennessee (for RDV)

Day 3: West Virginia.

West Virginia. That is all. Being from Maryland, originally, West Virginia was always the butt of a bad joke. However, it's rapidly becoming one of my favorite places to ride.

After going out last night and having a few in the wonderful town of Frostburg with some friends, I started this morning a bit later than planned and a little hazy.

I mean I was a little bit hungover. But the fog was like pea soup as I went over Saddle Mountain.

But as soon as I got down into the next valley, it was gone, and I had sun for the rest of the day.

The big standout today was US50. It is a great road, especially the section east of Grafton, WV. You could open a motorcycle resort here and make millions.

As I got towards Clarksburg, the road got more boring and traffic picked up. In Bridgeport they were down to one lane because of construction, and I was hot tired and cranky. Then I saw a sign pointing the way to heaven.

Okay, it was a diner, but their chili dogs were fantastic, and just what I needed.

US19 ranged from fast and pretty but boring, to being a frustrating uphill expressway. However it was totally worth it because it brought me here:

New River Gorge National River.

It's a stunningly pretty bit of scenery, and the camping is free.

Sophia handled the gravel access road admirably.

And that brings me to where we are now: in a Walmart hammock, having just finished my standard ramen and salami dinner.

While I was writing this, I for called over to one of the neighboring campsites, to help out jury rig a tent for a drunk, presumably homeless "hillbilly" as he called himself, named Bob. When he found out I was riding my bike and camping places like this out in the sticks, he declared, repeatedly, that, for a skinny feller, I had the biggest balls.

Tomorrow will bring me to Tennessee for RDV. There won't be cell service there, so I'm not sure when the next update will be. I'll write, and at worst, post when I leave on Sunday.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Oddometer: 320
If dudes can run a 250 dual sport to Tiera Del Fuego and back to the states you can sure as hell run a look on yours. Good on you bro!!!!
White6Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I'll see you tomorrow bro. Try and stay dry, looks like we're gonna get pissed on. Thanks for the update. You should be able to find wifi around Hampton. The big gas station has it.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Palms-up
Gearhead

Oddometer: 11
Loving it....especially on a TU.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
martin_nj
czesc!

Oddometer: 73
cool post, i'm right by philly!

whats the tank range on that 250?
martin_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Prettyboy OP
BFLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_nj View Post
cool post, i'm right by philly!

whats the tank range on that 250?

Well, it's 3.2 gal and anywhere from 55-85mpg. I generally try to fill up around 150ish.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
martin_nj
czesc!

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
I generally try to fill up around 150ish.
150 is a great range for that bike! i had no idea they could go so far, thanks!
martin_nj is offline   Reply With Quote