Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
The more I can carry , the more I can use it

........and the more fun I can have

When I look back at all the bikes I've owned over the last half century , I find the one's that got the most use were the ones that could carry the most stuff . I'm not what you would call a pleasure rider , or a bar hopping Harley dude . I hate cages of any kind and just plain love being on 2 wheels . Even though I can afford it , it also makes my blood boil when I have to pay $100.00 for a tank of gas for my cage

Other than the industrial / military Big Ruckus looks , I loved the fact that it could easily carry a large trunk . So when I got my first Big Ruckus other than modifying it to get it to run right , I immediately contacted Happytrail in Idaho to get to work on building a mega trunk for it . Once I had the piss poor performance problem worked out and the trunk installed , the Big Ruckus at least in the summer time became my go to transportation . I could easily cram a weeks worth of groceries in that trunk , running errands became almost pleasurable . My son came up for a visit and saw it , he asked if he could take it out for a ride I said sure . When he got back he said "I want one just like this , trunk and all" . So I found him one and did another build out , on my dime naturally .

Now I know that for a lot of younger riders this set up may not be COOL , and it's most assuredly out for the Harley bar hopper types . Not only did I build 2 of these for myself and my son , I built a couple more for my BR customers . One guy used it for a beach vehicle and loved it , he said with the trunk he could carry all the stuff he needed for a day at the beach and then some . I cannot tell you how many guys on Harleys told me they wish they could carry as much stuff on their bikes . A lot of people would roll down their windows at a traffic lite and say 'I LOVE IT" .

In other parts of the world a scooter set up like this would be called a "delivery scooter" , and a few (young) people told me it looked like a pizza delivery scooter . What do they know ? Personally I think every one should have some thing like this in their garage . ( google "delivery scooter")

When I look at a bike the first thing I do is sit on it , if it's not comfortable for me it's OUT . Then I look to see where I can attach copious amounts of luggage . For me personally COOL is out , and FUCTION and comfort is in .
If I lived some place like the Florida Keys I wouldn't even own a cage . My new daily driver is a 650 Burgman with hard side bags , a large trunk and lots of under seat storage space . Next is a one wheel trailer like the Unigo , I plan on putting a hitch on every bike I own so I can really get some use out of it .

I can't tell you how many super low mile bikes I've looked at , where owner say "I didn't get as much use out of it as I thought I would" . All of these had one thing in common , NO LUGGAGE .

Since I really got into the what you might call EXTREME LUGGAGE FANATICISM for 2 wheel vehicles , my love for all things on 2 wheels as grown exponentially .

Here's the bottom line on this rant , it took me a long time to figure all this out . When I was young I thought my first bike a Triumph TR6 was for flying off ramps at 80mph , I never thought of using it to go grocery shopping . Don't be like me and waist years and years not being able to really use your bike , for the simple reason it won't carry much of any thing on it . If you are any thing like me , you will gain a new appreciation for all things on 2 wheels .

Enjoy the ride and keep the shiny side up , TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
EXTREME LUGGAGE FANATICISM
Somewhat related.

Trans-It . . MotoFino . . Lance.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
TheReaper! OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Somewhat related.

Trans-It . . MotoFino . . Lance.

I would call that EXTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
WheelsnKeels
Bikes n Boats

Oddometer: 50
Lit Motors "Kubo" (Video) - electric powered. A gas engine would be better, IMO. :)

Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Funny that you started this thread. I stopped at the grocery store on my Vespa yesterday to pick up a few items to grill out (steaks, corn on the cob, dessert, and a few other odds & ends).

I've got a rack on my P200, but just straps to go with it- mainly to hold my laptop case. I got most of the stuff in my glovebox, but had to hang the steaks from the helmet hook and let them sit on the floorboard between my feet. The old 2 stroke vespas don't have under seat storage.

I was thinking something like a plastic milk crate on my rear rack would really allow me to do more with the scooter. I really don't have a need for a box as big as the one on your Ruckus (it would likely affect the handling). I'm wondering if the make a collapsible basket that can be unfolded when needed. I'm going to have to do some research! Thanks for posting!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
. I'm wondering if the make a collapsible basket that can be unfolded when needed. I'm going to have to do some research! Thanks for posting!
They do. Check out Bicycle luggage. That's where I"ve seen them before.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
100% Agree

All my bikes are made to carry something. I always use the Ruckus to go get lawnmower gas, loaf of bread, and just stuff. You do have the biggest box tho.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
No carrying capacity, no thanks

Howdy,

I agree with the OP all the way. Scoots are great as 2 wheeled pickup trucks.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
One of the greatest features of scooters is the excellent and very accessible storage most have.

I really dislike fiddling with saddlebags on motorcycles, which limits their usefulness for me.

On the SWing, I open the seat and put in the tool kit, tire repair kit, gear bag with my personal junk and tablet, baseball hat and so on. The camera goes in the glovebox. At stops, the gear bag comes out and the helmet goes under the seat. If I need more storage for, say, layered clothing or travel gear for touring, the Givi box goes on the back. It's very useful, very simple, very efficient.

One of many reasons I dig scooters.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198

Action Packers, available in various sizes, Cheap!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6FjXPz_Lrg

I really liked what this guy does with his scooter. Acts like a truck/van. 2 seater ride to pick up the kid at school/etc. Really useful.

From what I know you can milk crate the rear or you have the secure box option.

BanthaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
I use a full-sized milk crate mounted on the rack. With the addition of a cargo net it's simply amazing what you can get into it. Plus, milk crates are either cheap or free. Don't even think about the cheap plastic ones you get at Walmart, you want the genuine article, a real commercial milk crate with the steel band around the top.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
now that is some impressive utility
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
........and the more fun I can have

When I look back at all the bikes I've owned over the last half century , I find the one's that got the most use were the ones that could carry the most stuff . I'm not what you would call a pleasure rider , or a bar hopping Harley dude . I hate cages of any kind and just plain love being on 2 wheels . Even though I can afford it , it also makes my blood boil when I have to pay $100.00 for a tank of gas for my cage

Other than the industrial / military Big Ruckus looks , I loved the fact that it could easily carry a large trunk . So when I got my first Big Ruckus other than modifying it to get it to run right , I immediately contacted Happytrail in Idaho to get to work on building a mega trunk for it . Once I had the piss poor performance problem worked out and the trunk installed , the Big Ruckus at least in the summer time became my go to transportation . I could easily cram a weeks worth of groceries in that trunk , running errands became almost pleasurable . My son came up for a visit and saw it , he asked if he could take it out for a ride I said sure . When he got back he said "I want one just like this , trunk and all" . So I found him one and did another build out , on my dime naturally .

Now I know that for a lot of younger riders this set up may not be COOL , and it's most assuredly out for the Harley bar hopper types . Not only did I build 2 of these for myself and my son , I built a couple more for my BR customers . One guy used it for a beach vehicle and loved it , he said with the trunk he could carry all the stuff he needed for a day at the beach and then some . I cannot tell you how many guys on Harleys told me they wish they could carry as much stuff on their bikes . A lot of people would roll down their windows at a traffic lite and say 'I LOVE IT" .

In other parts of the world a scooter set up like this would be called a "delivery scooter" , and a few (young) people told me it looked like a pizza delivery scooter . What do they know ? Personally I think every one should have some thing like this in their garage . ( google "delivery scooter")

When I look at a bike the first thing I do is sit on it , if it's not comfortable for me it's OUT . Then I look to see where I can attach copious amounts of luggage . For me personally COOL is out , and FUCTION and comfort is in .
If I lived some place like the Florida Keys I wouldn't even own a cage . My new daily driver is a 650 Burgman with hard side bags , a large trunk and lots of under seat storage space . Next is a one wheel trailer like the Unigo , I plan on putting a hitch on every bike I own so I can really get some use out of it .

I can't tell you how many super low mile bikes I've looked at , where owner say "I didn't get as much use out of it as I thought I would" . All of these had one thing in common , NO LUGGAGE .

Since I really got into the what you might call EXTREME LUGGAGE FANATICISM for 2 wheel vehicles , my love for all things on 2 wheels as grown exponentially .

Here's the bottom line on this rant , it took me a long time to figure all this out . When I was young I thought my first bike a Triumph TR6 was for flying off ramps at 80mph , I never thought of using it to go grocery shopping . Don't be like me and waist years and years not being able to really use your bike , for the simple reason it won't carry much of any thing on it . If you are any thing like me , you will gain a new appreciation for all things on 2 wheels .

Enjoy the ride and keep the shiny side up , TheReaper!
Unlike you, motorcycles and scooters are a strictly recreational thing for me. I use a "cage" for actual transportation, though a small one. I had my Zuma 125 set up with a trunk and a windshield, for longer distance trips. After deciding that such a small scooter was not the best vehicle for long trips, especially for someone my size, it just sat parked most of the time. I finally removed the windshield and trunk, and am fixing it up to be more fun on shorter rides. I carry what I might need under the seat and in a backpack.

My XT225 has a huge amount of storage capacity, I doubled the size of the rack, bolted on a milk crate, and attached several other bags and boxes to it. But that too is for recreational reasons. I like to take the bike for weekend camping trips, and even carry fishing equipment along. My Vulcan 750 has saddlebags, a T-Bag setup, and a tank bag. But that is for long distance touring, not grocery shopping.

Somehow it just never made sense (to me) to use a bike for transportation, especially if you needed to haul things, instead of using a small 35 mpg car. And for the Phoenix, AZ area, the car has A/C.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #15
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,376
My BV250 has a top box that can carry a full grocery bag. On the floor board I can fit two grocery bag loads into a vinyl strap bag held in place by the strap hook that straddles the floor hump and foot positions, another 1/3 of a grocery bag under the seat, and slightly less than 1/2 of a grocery bag in my bicycle messenger bag. That's way more than a weeks food for me. But is it enough? No! I have been searching quite awhile for the color matched factory side hard cases. Not giant, but lockable, and are not too wide. Very hard to find. Turns out there's a guy within 1-2 miles selling his same color BV250 with the side cases. Must think clever thoughts to get him to part with them and not the bike....
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote