Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 209
Pfffft, you've got nothing on this dude. Even has 'roof racks'.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-724879352.htm

Only thing that puts me off is having a whoopsie. You're already in a vulnerable position on a bike, let alone a bike with a tree house bolted behind you.
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #17
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
For a cheap top case I've had great luck with these...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...rid=c14523u0j3

I've got the large one on my DR650 and it's seen a lot of abuse and has held up fine. The small one fits my Mojito perfectly. Cheap as dirt.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
zaTTaz: Right, a bit over the top for me. Price seems out of line for a 2003. Oh, wait, that's NZ dollars, so maybe it's not. In the US a 2003 is worth $2250.

JerryH: So what's your first impression of your Royal Enfield?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,716
Why I Have A Cage

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
My 650 Burgman is very handy for errands around town. I used it to run to the hardware store for a bolt I needed on the Ghia today - then took the Ghia for a cruise.

I've used it several times to make a Costco run - about 100 miles round trip. I have a Givi 46L top case - and of course the storage under the seat is legendary - and I use a soft sided cooler that is a bit larger than the top box for keeping things cold - I bungee it to the passenger grab rails on the return trip. It folds up and stows in the top box on the way to Costco. And I can bungee something on the cooler if I over-buy - which I do regularly.

I had thought about getting a trailer hitch for the Burgman but since I bought the Jetta which gets equal or better mileage than the Burgman I take the Jetta when I need to get lots of stuff at Costco. Its a once a month or two trip - the SUV I sold got 22mph at best. I hated filling up that pig knowing it was $50 that would only get me 300 miles or so. The Jetta does twice that on $50. But the Burgman is more fun.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #21
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,491
One huge advantage to the milk crate is that you can steal one from the local grocery store. Adds immensely to the fun.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 AM   #22
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,923
Good thread.

When I'm looking at a prospective new purchase,apart from checking what it'd be like for servicing,and how crapped up/easy to clean it would be after bad weather rides,a major factor for me is how easy it would be to carry stuff on it.

You know,not necessarily outsize loads,but simple day to day stuff like the bag I take to work,or some light groceries,or my camping gear for rallies.

Most motorcycles fail miserably on these criteria....some you can't even carry a pint of milk on,or a home from work chip shop meal...unless you look at touring type barges.
And I've pretty much lost interest in motorbikes nowadays anyway.

My 650 Burgman ticks all the boxes for me.
Huge underseat stowage area plus three 'gloveboxes'.
Add in a desire to not walk about carrying my helmet and bike jacket on warm days and the Burgie wins again,especially with a topbox added.

My 'workaday' Vespa PX does fine with its bag hook and front and rear rack luggage racks that I added.

If I had a dog,there's my P200 sidecar outfit or my Urals.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #23
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
One huge advantage to the milk crate is that you can steal one from the local grocery store. Adds immensely to the fun.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Perhaps another ethically challenged individual will view the theft of your scooter as "fun". What goes around . . .
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Perhaps another ethically challenged individual will view the theft of your scooter as "fun". What goes around . . .
WOOO...sense of humour bypass or what ????

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,901
The days of free or cheap milk crates are long past with the Cellopack cartons replacing glass milk bottles. Wal mart carries some cheap milk crate wannabe's but with no reinforcement around the top edge.

YamaGeek screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 06:17 PM
YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #27
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
The days of free or cheap milk crates are long past with the Cellopack cartons replacing glass milk bottles. Wal mart carries some cheap milk crate wannabe's but with no reinforcement around the top edge.
Wrap some duct tape around the top - a couple of laps and it should be good to go for a year or two in the sun before it dries out.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
When sent out to purchase two x 30 can packs of soft drink (Soda in the US), I can get up to 54 cans under the seat of the Burgy Exec, with the six cans remaining going into the Bestem T-Box.

However, for larger items such as the two packs of 2 mtr long steel utility floor frame kit and the Ketter plastic cabinet pack that I bought from Aldi - then my 48" x 34" narrowed Easy Trailer 830TA comes into play. Usually this trailer serves duty to transport my kayak to lake-side areas.

standard un-changed Easy Trailer 830-TA (48" x 40") bare frame form.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #29
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
When sent out to purchase two x 30 can packs of soft drink (Soda in the US), I can get up to 54 cans under the seat of the Burgy Exec, with the six cans remaining going into the Bestem T-Box.

However, for larger items such as the two packs of 2 mtr long steel utility floor frame kit and the Ketter plastic cabinet pack that I bought from Aldi - then my 48" x 34" narrowed Easy Trailer 830TA comes into play. Usually this trailer serves duty to transport my kayak to lake-side areas.

standard un-changed Easy Trailer 830-TA (48" x 40") bare frame form.
There's the downside on scoots without a flat floor.
A couple a cases of soda/beer get dropped on the floor of my RV200, no packing stuff in. Massive under seat storage for anything else.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #30
blainerides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
........and the more fun I can have

When I look back at all the bikes I've owned over the last half century , I find the one's that got the most use were the ones that could carry the most stuff . I'm not what you would call a pleasure rider , or a bar hopping Harley dude . I hate cages of any kind and just plain love being on 2 wheels . Even though I can afford it , it also makes my blood boil when I have to pay $100.00 for a tank of gas for my cage

Other than the industrial / military Big Ruckus looks , I loved the fact that it could easily carry a large trunk . So when I got my first Big Ruckus other than modifying it to get it to run right , I immediately contacted Happytrail in Idaho to get to work on building a mega trunk for it . Once I had the piss poor performance problem worked out and the trunk installed , the Big Ruckus at least in the summer time became my go to transportation . I could easily cram a weeks worth of groceries in that trunk , running errands became almost pleasurable . My son came up for a visit and saw it , he asked if he could take it out for a ride I said sure . When he got back he said "I want one just like this , trunk and all" . So I found him one and did another build out , on my dime naturally .

Now I know that for a lot of younger riders this set up may not be COOL , and it's most assuredly out for the Harley bar hopper types . Not only did I build 2 of these for myself and my son , I built a couple more for my BR customers . One guy used it for a beach vehicle and loved it , he said with the trunk he could carry all the stuff he needed for a day at the beach and then some . I cannot tell you how many guys on Harleys told me they wish they could carry as much stuff on their bikes . A lot of people would roll down their windows at a traffic lite and say 'I LOVE IT" .

In other parts of the world a scooter set up like this would be called a "delivery scooter" , and a few (young) people told me it looked like a pizza delivery scooter . What do they know ? Personally I think every one should have some thing like this in their garage . ( google "delivery scooter")

When I look at a bike the first thing I do is sit on it , if it's not comfortable for me it's OUT . Then I look to see where I can attach copious amounts of luggage . For me personally COOL is out , and FUCTION and comfort is in .
If I lived some place like the Florida Keys I wouldn't even own a cage . My new daily driver is a 650 Burgman with hard side bags , a large trunk and lots of under seat storage space . Next is a one wheel trailer like the Unigo , I plan on putting a hitch on every bike I own so I can really get some use out of it .

I can't tell you how many super low mile bikes I've looked at , where owner say "I didn't get as much use out of it as I thought I would" . All of these had one thing in common , NO LUGGAGE .

Since I really got into the what you might call EXTREME LUGGAGE FANATICISM for 2 wheel vehicles , my love for all things on 2 wheels as grown exponentially .

Here's the bottom line on this rant , it took me a long time to figure all this out . When I was young I thought my first bike a Triumph TR6 was for flying off ramps at 80mph , I never thought of using it to go grocery shopping . Don't be like me and waist years and years not being able to really use your bike , for the simple reason it won't carry much of any thing on it . If you are any thing like me , you will gain a new appreciation for all things on 2 wheels .

Enjoy the ride and keep the shiny side up , TheReaper!

TheReaper,

Do you have any more pics to share (diff angle)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blainerides is offline   Reply With Quote