User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
uconnapharm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Kawasaki ZRX1200R Discontinued for 2006

The Kawasaki USA site does not show the ZRX1200R in it's 2006 line-up.
The ZRX Owner's Site has an intervue with Kawasaki North america President who confirms that the ZRX1200R ( Eddie Lawson Replica ) will no longer be
available in North America. I always thought it was a great niche-nostalgia bike,
that could still run with today's new breed. I am truly depressed at this news.
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
OrmondGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Had one - loved it - will likely have another in the near future!
OrmondGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
BoHunkus
Sho 'nuff

Oddometer: 409
My ZRX was discontinued shortly after I bought it. Went to class, came back to an empty parking space. Don't have to worry about that on my raggedy old VFR.
BoHunkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoHunkus
My ZRX was discontinued shortly after I bought it. Went to class, came back to an empty parking space. Don't have to worry about that on my raggedy old VFR.
Ouch. Funny account, but ouch.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:45 AM   #5
gsfreeman2
Ersatz adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm
The Kawasaki USA site does not show the ZRX1200R in it's 2006 line-up.
The ZRX Owner's Site has an intervue with Kawasaki North america President who confirms that the ZRX1200R ( Eddie Lawson Replica ) will no longer be
available in North America. I always thought it was a great niche-nostalgia bike,
that could still run with today's new breed. I am truly depressed at this news.
It's unfortunate -- the ZRX is a comfortable sport-tourer that is easily both sport and tour -- but the problem with bikes in general -- and particularly the Japanese manufacturers' American lines -- is that if there isn't a market for a gazillion of them, they cut it out of the line. Balls-to-the-wall sportbikes SELL. Harley clone cruisers SELL. This is a nice niche bike that probably made reasonable sales numbers, but never the numbers that a ZX-1* or a Vulcan made, so out it goes from the line to allow more import numbers or US production for the bikes that do sell in huge quantity.

My Suzuki GSX-G-1100 was the same way. Detuned Gixxer motor, shaft drive, brought over to this side of the pond from 91 to 93, but it didn't cut numbers so out of the lineup it went. I think it's still available in Europe.

Of much greater interest to this forum was the TDM850, which, again, was a great niche bike, but probably a few years ahead of its time. Anyone on the board here still have one?

Well that's my $0.02, now it's showertime. Gotta make some $ to keep up the stable.

Greg

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a GIFT! That's why it's the present... - Eleanor Roosevelt
gsfreeman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
I second you on the TDM. It seems like the fact I really like a bike is its death warrant, lol.

Here's a list of asian motorcycles that I really like:

Honda HawkGt, CB1000, CB-1, GB500, both of the Ascots, and the Transalp.

Nothing in Honda's new lineup is remotely interesting, except for the SuperHawk, and that gets piss-poor gas mileage.

Thank dog the Suzi DLs and SVs are selling well.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the VX800 and GSX1100G. And the Honda NX650.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,208
I had all of those. The GSX110G, know as the road going couch, it had torque, kind of cranked sideways though. Had a nice TDM for a while, just a little short on power, and recently solf the ZRX. A strong runner, super bang for the buck.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
AZ- I like a lot of what's mentioned on your list, so that makes a sales potential of 2 customers. I'd be interested today in the TDM 850 but it's long gone, I wanted a GB500 but thought Honda was just too damn proud of them at the time, and I spent years and years riding about on a 83 Ascot single. I did everything on that bike I could think of. Cafe fairing and 37 tooth rear sprocket, and cruised at 95 mph. Starts were...glacial with that gearing though. Then I dual sported the thing over Tincup Pass one year using a 53 tooth rear sprocket, it actually made a heck of a good adventure bike as long as you didn't try to jump the the old girl, it was pretty hefty off road. That gearing topped out at 50 mph. I had done the heli-coil routine through-out, the pot metal alum. they chose for that bike didn't play well with the vibes. I finally sold it after 10 years with 29,000 miles, I just didn't want to crack open the starter mechanism for the 10th time to make it work, damn Rube Goldberg tacked on POS that it was.
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
gsfreeman2
Ersatz adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker
I second you on the TDM. It seems like the fact I really like a bike is its death warrant, lol.
ROFL! I'm with you on that one. GSX-G ... no more .... Falco ... no more ...

So what other bikes do you like that I should stock up on fast?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a GIFT! That's why it's the present... - Eleanor Roosevelt

gsfreeman2 screwed with this post 09-29-2005 at 10:38 PM
Old 09-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
gsfreeman2
Ersatz adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1
I had all of those. The GSX110G, know as the road going couch, it had torque, kind of cranked sideways though. Had a nice TDM for a while, just a little short on power, and recently solf the ZRX. A strong runner, super bang for the buck.
Barko, did your GSX-G have a flat spot? A buddy of mine still has one ... he spent the winter tearing it apart, rebuilding the throttle bodies, rejetting, flat spot gone!

Greg

Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 831
So did the value of my ZRX just go up? Easily the best pure street bike I have owned. I understand it is still available in other markets. Hopefully Kwaker will reconsider or return with a updated version.
Wallace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfreeman2
ROFL! I'm with you on that one. GSX-G ... no more .... Falco ... no more ...

So what other bikes do you like that I should stock up on fast?
Aprilia Tuono, for one... I've ridden one but never actually seen one on the road. Mille's are all I see.

derek

Old 10-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,533
I lusted after the ZRX for years before finally getting one last year. I have to admit, I was kind of let down. It did have a fine engine, though I think my years of riding lighter sport bikes had spoiled me. I think the bike would have been happier with a higher, easier revving version than the "detuned" for more midrange (BS) engine for the bike. It wasn't a bad bike, but I had really expected it to be a little sportier than it was. I really wish I had been able to ride one before buying. Oh well, I did get my wish and owned a beautiful red one for a few months.

I would love to see more naked bikes being made, but I'm really let down by the manufacturers constant messing with a good thing. If you're going to create a naked sportbike, then create a fscking naked sportbike. Don't pull the punches, give us the engine, brakes, and please god, an adjustable suspension. Thankfully, Aprillia listens.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
It's quite possible that the ZRX is being discontinued for only a year or so simply to reduce dealer inventories and clear warehouses. Kawasaki does this now and then. Existing inventory means they're still readily available in the off-year so the effect is nil.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
I lusted after the ZRX for years before finally getting one last year. I have to admit, I was kind of let down. It did have a fine engine, though I think my years of riding lighter sport bikes had spoiled me. I think the bike would have been happier with a higher, easier revving version than the "detuned" for more midrange (BS) engine for the bike. It wasn't a bad bike, but I had really expected it to be a little sportier than it was. I really wish I had been able to ride one before buying. Oh well, I did get my wish and owned a beautiful red one for a few months.

I would love to see more naked bikes being made, but I'm really let down by the manufacturers constant messing with a good thing. If you're going to create a naked sportbike, then create a fscking naked sportbike. Don't pull the punches, give us the engine, brakes, and please god, an adjustable suspension. Thankfully, Aprillia listens.
Isn't the Z1000 Kawi more aimed toward that market, with the ZRX aiming for more of a "nostalgic" feel?

Personally, though I LOVE the 'Priller, it could never be my only bike. One of the requirements that I have is the ability of the machine to do 400+ mile days 2-up. My passenger took one look at the seat on the Tuono and said, "Not just no, but HELL NO." I have a girlfriend that loves to ride 2-up with me, even on washboarded fire roads and I wouldn't want to screw that up.

One of the technical gurus on www.xlforum.net (Stevo) has a late model GSXR 1000 all streetfightered out.

Here's a link to it:

I've ridden a Tuono, and a stock "slow" '98 R1, so I can imagine how completely naughty that bike is.

derek