User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
noah OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
opinions on exhaust

My R100GSPD is in need of a new secondary muffler. Any recomendations (stock, Staintune, others)? Given that the bike is 25 years old with 55,000 miles on the original, I'm certainly not opposed to replacing it with a stock muffler. I replaced the primary muffler about 4 years ago. I am also seriously considering the Omega atenator kit from Motorrad Electric-any comments there? The PD has taken a back seat to my 1100S but I still love it and look forward to getting it back in top condition. Thanks
Old 09-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,473
I replaced the collector box on my g/s with the Keihan stainless steel unit. It looks better than stock, slimmer and more streamlined, fit very well and I think it was less money.

The Motorrad unit is talked about alot on the Airheads email list, I haven't heard of anyone having a negative experience with it yet. I have a buddy who put one on his 88 r100gs and he likes it alot. The only downside I can see is that most of the parts are exclusive to Ricks system and if you do have a problem on a trip you have to get stuff from him. You can't just pick up a rotor or whatever and use it. My g/s has the stock 280 watt system and is fine, I only run one extra at a time especially at low rpm/s, but it has no problem with a heated vest or aux. lights. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
High Output Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah
My R100GSPD is in need of a new secondary muffler. Any recomendations (stock, Staintune, others)? Given that the bike is 25 years old with 55,000 miles on the original, I'm certainly not opposed to replacing it with a stock muffler. I replaced the primary muffler about 4 years ago. I am also seriously considering the Omega atenator kit from Motorrad Electric-any comments there? The PD has taken a back seat to my 1100S but I still love it and look forward to getting it back in top condition. Thanks
I own a '92GSPD and am considering a high output alternator.You might have a look at this site. http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/frames.html
This unit supposedly puts out 450W.Regards.John
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
Exhausted!

My '93 GS/PD came with a stainless SuperTrapp system. I like it most of the time, but occasionally think its a little raspy, barky, & possibly not PC.
I like it when I fire it up in a crowd of other more PC bikers & I get that look...
I haven't checked how many discs are currently in the can, & when I checked
the plugs I did notice that they were a little on the dark side, so if I remember
correctly, I may have to add a few discs to lean it out, but then it will be even
more raspy, barky. Hope this helps, if money were no object I would look at
the Staintune, apparently the way to go according to some.
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Motorrad Elektrik

I put the Omega system on my 90 GS/PD a year ago. Performed flawlessly for the yr, then on a recent trip the battery light was on the entire time at all RPMs. Went through the system, tested everything and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Rick sent me a new rotor, at no cost, and gave plenty of advise to fix the prob. I finally figured out, with the help of a better multi-meter, that it's the diode board that has the problem. Rick has got one on the way, also at no cost. I'll send him back the other stuff for him to check out.
He has been a pleasure to work with and knows his stuff. I'd reccommend the Omega. After I replace the diode I'll be able to run bigger lights and anything else w/o worry.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
baja freak
Adventurer

i am using keihan y pipe and muffler on my R100gspd. . nice and smooth. .
Old 09-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,236
...Say, how old is your bike??

I just purchased the Omega from Rick and will be installing it shortly. As far as service and customer satisfaction goes, you can't beat him! If i were to break down, say in Mexico or something, rest assured Rick would probably find a way to help you out better than any dealer in N.America.
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,307
I've used the StaInTune and the SuperTrapp.....For cost go with the SuperTrapp. For quality, repairability, longervity and tone go with the StaInTune....$$$-but worth it.
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #9
noah OP
Adventurer

Omega

Ron, my GSPD is a '90.
Thanks all for the input. I have been thinking that using OEM electrical parts would make it easier to repair if needed, but with all the great comments about Rick, I doubt that anyone would do a better job of service than him. It is a great way to run a buisness. I am considering the Omega based on the praise you guys give him.