Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I would consider a KLR for a round-the-world-trip for various reasons, but for here? No, thanks.
That seems to be the case with a lot of people, why is that? From my zero riding experience I'm forced to look at this scenario for what it is with no bias. From my readings of adventure trip reports they all seem to have these traits in common: many miles in the hundreds sometimes thousands on mixed terrain (paved & dirt), lots of saddle & trip time, bike durability, ease of maintenance & parts availability. Now the only difference i can discern from US vs World trips is the quality & sheer abundance of paved roads being better.

So i dont understand how a bike can be a favorite for the same kind of travel over there, but not here. I can however see that the quality of the roads here & cruise speeds would afford us the luxury of "choosing" the larger more street oriented bikes.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk
vstateblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstateblazer View Post
That seems to be the case with a lot of people, why is that?
The only reason is simplicity and availability of parts and service. If you ride a KTM or a Beemer, getting parts can be hard, the electrics/electronics on modern bikes have become so complex, without a computer there is often not much you can do.

A KLR (or a Suzuki DR650) you can often repair with a Leatherman Wave, a hammer and a bunch of zipties. Less exotic materials, cheaper parts, lower complexity, all leads to the point that you might be able to fix things yourself even in remote areas. Sure, a Canbus system is generally more robust to electric gremlins as the wiring is simpler and electronics rarely break, but if they break there isn't much you can do yourself.

A single cylinder also makes services plain simpler as you have less complexity and less parts to deal with. I'm okay doing a valve check and adjustment on an inline four at home in my garage. Do I want to do that in Mongolia? Nope. That's btw. a thing the boxer engines make really simple: accessibility of the engine internals is exceptional. Just don't break anything ...

Regarding riding, I gave you my personal opinion already. I ride for 25 years now. Everything from Vespa scooters to Honda ST1300 touring boats. Right now I have a 2014 R1200GS. I ride the GS because of the exceptional handling, the roomy seating position, the spacious luggage, and the aftermarket parts/toys support. I don't care one single bit about its "off-road capabilities" because I have no interest trashing a 250kg, 20k USD bike in places where I have more fun on a 140kg, 5k USD bike.

If I could only have one single bike and if I wanted to ride road and technical dirt, I'd buy a used WR250X and get a set of dirt rims and tires for it. But I don't try to do that. I know that it doesn't me make really happy overall. I like long distance touring (1200 miles and more during a weekend ride) and my GS does that MUCH better, without breaking an expensive fairing if I drop it on the gravel parking lot ...

On the other hand, having a 5k budget might also allow for a 3300 USD Honda VFR800 + a 1700 USD DR200SE ... both can be found for this in good to excellent condition. One for the highway, one for the dirt. Are you REALLY looking for the one thing that can do it all? You'll have a compromise on both ends. Not good on the highway and not good in the dirt ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Right now, yes i would like for it to do both. Now once i get the experience under my belt & a larger wallet...i would then look into getting a more dirt or road biased bike. But until then i can't see myself purchasing a primarly road oriented bike that can't take me any further than my 4x4 truck.

I dont mind having to compromise on both ends as long as it can run atv trails that my truck is too wide for & be road worthy enough to make a 500 mile round road trip.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
cug
--

You do what you got to do. Only you know what you want and what works for you.

I wish you luck that you find something that works for you without too much money wasted on things that don't work as you expected.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
One other thing to consider, and I really hope you do...

Wind sheer is an absolute biyatch on a tall and lightweight bike.

I rode cross-country last summer for 2 months on a 550 pound Honda Shadow cruiser. The only state that gave me any grief at all on lateral wind sheer was Oklahoma, and that was during tornado season and I was actively dodging storms on my ride through there... going 10-20 miles out of the way at a time in order to avoid nasty looking thunderhead clouds. That Shadow was low to the ground, but a 35mph gust would come along every now and then and push me so hard that I would be 6 feet sideways before I could respond and compensate, and I'd be countersteering/leaning into the wind a good 20 degrees... and then it would let off suddenly and I'd be 6 feet overcompensated in the wrong way again. Very glad those highways were practically empty when I passed through.

There's no way I would go into the same type of wind situation on a dirtbike that is taller and lighter and in the weight class of the XR650/DR650/KLR. In some ways, weight is your friend on the highway. I've experienced some "interesting" wind here in AZ and it's nothing like tornado alley from Oklahoma to Georgia, but I've been blown hard on the road while riding my XR. Being exposed to 18 wheelers and their wind sheer, and gusty conditions, is not something I'd want at 75mph on a light thumper. Gimme another 100+ pounds and a few inches lower, please.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

I would like to thank you all for your input on this topic and helping me out. I also noticed with some more research that the KLR will burn oil during sustain drives at/around 5000 rpm, unless you modify the engine with an over bore kit. I could deal with the $125 "doohicky" mod but to also spend $500 -750 to fix the oil issue is beyond me.

I'm leaning towards the vstrom 650 now because the prospect of having to spend that extra on the KLR engine puts it the same price range as the vstrom's I have my eye on.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #22
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,739
no single-cylinder bike excels on the highway or motorway. They are made for smaller roads or offroad.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Oddometer: 357
Another 2 cents... My opinion is that the CB500X should also be considered here. My 1st measurable tank I got 64 mpg and that was during break in. It easily does the interstates at 75-80 and at 430 lbs is not a super pig.

Bought a leftover '13 for $5499...

I've been on bikes for over 50 yrs and this thing is a hoot!

I'm also confident enough in its abilities that I'm leaving for AK on it the end of this week!

Is it a dirt bike? Hell no, but the 1st bike I ever rode in the woods was a 175 Bridgestone with low exhaust and 16" wheels. We rode power lines,gas lines and single track in central MA quarry country. Rocks, gravel, mud, ledge etc. Was it as good at it as the 125 Honda that followed it? No, but it got us out there learning the skill.

The right rider can go almost anywhere on a bike he knows well. Proof is right here in the pages of ADV...
XXMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Yeah I actually like the new cb500f version but I think the x version is an even bigger offroad poser than the vstrom. I also love the styling of the 750 nighthawks. Saw some a while back in the right price range but didn't pull the trigger.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #25
XXMe
Geezer on the road

You list mileage, highway ability and price as most important to you.

You also state that this will be your 1st bike... You need to just get your butt on ANY bike for a little while and stop armchair riding. After that you may be able to make some intelligent remarks about THE BIKE YOU HAVE RIDDEN!

At this point you have NO experience yet you still feel entitled to call one of the best motorcycling bargains of today a poser bike???

My CB500X was already getting 64mpg during break in, cruises happily at 75-80 and cost me $5499 new.

I'm too busy for this right now, I'm leaving FL heading to Dawson City in the Yukon the end of the week... On my poser bike.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #26
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Sorry to offend & get your panties in a bunch. But also said in the same sentence that I like the f version over the x. Never knocked its bargain & if I wanted to purchase a new bike as my first bike the F would be my number one pick not the x. It "looks" like an adventure bike, only been on the market for 2 yrs so how is pricing/option on parts, track record on the power train since its new as well? All the above were factors that you seem to have overlooked.

But I'm here to take in all constructive input from the riders who want to help me not be a part of the consumer rat race of buying multiple bikes before you finally find the one that tickles your fancy.

vstateblazer screwed with this post 06-02-2014 at 07:43 AM
Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #27
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
With your budget, I would probably try to find a dedicated street bike for that interstate ride and then buy a beat up dual sport for those S. GA trails. I've done some miles on most of the bikes you are considering and a used Vstrom would do most of what you want but is absolutely too much for most people on anything rougher than dirt roads.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #28
XXMe
Geezer on the road

I'm sorry if you think your remarks got my panties in a bunch.

All you seem to be is yet another newbie who thinks he will find in a single bike all of the traits available in all bikes. You are nothing new here! There are hundreds of threads just like this one!

You say the X is an off-road poser then talk about getting a Nighthawk or getting the LESS capable version of the same bike... Sheesh...

Track record, power train, parts... It's a friggin Honda!

I would also suggest that a V-Strom at 472lbs. is more of an off-road poser at 42 lbs more than the X. My brother owns a new Wee. In my opinion it feels like a fat pig compared to the X. It does have a 19" front however. To some that's all it takes for them to think it's more capable.

Now granted all this is just from actual experience in riding the bikes, and riding for over 50 yrs, which all seems to pale compared to your vast reading experience!!!

Now please just , pull up YOUR BIG BOY PANTIES, buy a friggin little bike and get some actual experience before you go correcting people who just might possibly know a little more about bikes than you do.

It's obvious that you really like yourself but you might try being a little more and less
Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXMe View Post
Now granted all this is just from actual experience in riding the bikes, and riding for over 50 yrs, which all seems to pale compared to your vast reading experience!!!
You know, if a human being could learn from another human being's experience, the world would be a lot better place and not full of ... ah, I'm not saying it. You know exactly what I mean ...
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXMe View Post
I'm sorry if you think your remarks got my panties in a bunch.

All you seem to be is yet another newbie who thinks he will find in a single bike all of the traits available in all bikes. You are nothing new here! There are hundreds of threads just like this one!

You say the X is an off-road poser then talk about getting a Nighthawk or getting the LESS capable version of the same bike... Sheesh...

Track record, power train, parts... It's a friggin Honda!

I would also suggest that a V-Strom at 472lbs. is more of an off-road poser at 42 lbs more than the X. My brother owns a new Wee. In my opinion it feels like a fat pig compared to the X. It does have a 19" front however. To some that's all it takes for them to think it's more capable.

Now please just , pull up YOUR BIG BOY PANTIES, buy a friggin little bike and get some actual experience before you go correcting people who just might possibly know a little more about bikes than you do.

It's obvious that you really like yourself but you might try being a little more and less
Please go back & read my previous posts. My original notion of the bike I had in mind has changed thanks to the "COURTEOUS" input of other experienced riders here.

I have acknowledged that I have no riding experience earlier in the threads but thanks for bringing that up again.

So Honda never made any bad motorcycles? I would beg to differ, it happens to all manufacturers and you would be a fool to "assume" otherwise no matter how many years you have under your belt. However it is a FACT that a bike with a PROVEN track record will have more than just the OEM providing parts, so better pricing & availability.

Also people who think & respond in the manner that you did to someone who is seeking advice from experienced riders in motorcycling is a contributing factor in turning people away from seeking advice from older riders. You deciding to resort to telling me to stfu (shut the fuck up) reflects on how entrenched you are in your "50yrs" experience, that any view that doesn't align with that is wrong. You are a PRIME example of other people in the thousands of posts I have read, that detract from having a constructive thread.

Please feel free to unfollow & never comment again, because whatever initial respect your riding experience held in my regard, is lost due to your narrow mind & choice of language