Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #61
CB024
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstateblazer View Post
yeah but if i go non street legal dirtbike I could choose to not have it ensured since it wont be driven on the road? and haul it to the trails like you said
Exactly. So you could do that and hone your riding skills for a while or you can get a good gas mileage good highway bike and buy a dirt only bike later.

I'm personally looking at the DRZ's because I already have a street bike. Eventually I want a Super Tenere though.
CB024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #62
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Oddometer: 122
Thanks,

I say let it stand... Someone might get a lesson from it, old or new.

Looks aside, the X has different geometry than the other CB500s so it would be a tad better in the dirt.

Read all the road tests you can on any bike you are considering, particularly the Aussie and Brit tests as they seem to be brutally honest unlike some US sites who just want the advertising.

Best of luck in your search and if I can help you PM me. I actually do know a bit about bikes!

Also, my $136/mo payment really doesn't hurt at all... Again good luck.
XXMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #63
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxme View Post
thanks,

i say let it stand... Someone might get a lesson from it, old or new.

Looks aside, the x has different geometry than the other cb500s so it would be a tad better in the dirt.

Read all the road tests you can on any bike you are considering, particularly the aussie and brit tests as they seem to be brutally honest unlike some us sites who just want the advertising.

Best of luck in your search and if i can help you pm me. I actually do know a bit about bikes!
+1
vstateblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #64
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
You can usually find reasonable condition V-Strom 650's for under $3000. I'd start there, and get your feet wet both on the road (and highway), and on some very easy off-road stuff. I'd do this over a KLR650 or DR650 for one big reason, it's a better road bike, and none of them are great off road. If you decide you do like the off road stuff, then you can get a more dedicated off road bike, and it'll compliment the V-strom better then it'd compliment a KLR or DR.
Once you've gotten comfortable on the more street oriented bike, a WR250R, CRF250L, KLX250S, or DRZ400 will allow you to ride to the trails, link trails on streets, tool around town, or ride it as a back up, if the road bike is ever out of commission. A dedicated dirt bike limits your riding areas dramatically. Any one of those dual sports can be found for $3000 or less.

A Verseys or the, dare I say it, aforementioned Honda, would both also serve as great road oriented machines that can handle dirt or gravel roads, but are generally much less commonly found used than a Strom. The difference in off-road ability between the Strom, Verseys, and 500X will be marginal; the Strom has better tire options, but 95% of the difference between these 3 bikes will come down to the rider.

If I were you, in an effort to keep this thread moving forward, I would begin searching. Cycletrader.com, Craigslist, stromtrooper.com, and the flea market here are all good sources for used bike. Post up some options you find in your area, and perhaps we can give you some more specific feedback.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #65
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Already ahead of you on that....

2 - '05 vstrom 650 with less than 9k miles for $4500. cheapest one has crash bars, bash plate and top luggage for $3800 but has 33k miles on the odometer.

4 or more - Nighthawk 750 with little rust, some with luggage racks and the huge highway screens majority with less than 20k miles, the higher price ones on below 10k miles for $1700 - $3800...most in the $2000 - $3000 range

3 - '08 or newer KLR 650 with kawasaki brand luggage, crash bars, skid plate, 12v power ports. one has after market corbin or sargent seat; all with less than 6k miles most below 4k for $4100 - 4300

vstateblazer screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 11:32 AM
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #66
CB024
Adventurer

I really dig the Nighthawks. I actually learned to ride on an 1984 Nighthawk 450. I think you have it narrowed down to 3 good bikes IMO.
CB024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #67
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...'05 vstrom 650.... cheapest one has crash bars, bash plate and top luggage for $3800 but has 33k miles on the odometer...
All good bikes. But for what it's worth, 33k miles is nothing on a strom. My dad just bought one (for $2000) with 52k miles on it, and there are numerous out on the road with 100k+.

I'm not exactly saying that's the one to buy (because that's up to you), but I just don't want you to be viewing that 'high mileage' as a big negative.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #68
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
You can usually find reasonable condition V-Strom 650's for under $3000. I'd start there, and get your feet wet both on the road (and highway), and on some very easy off-road stuff. I'd do this over a KLR650 or DR650 for one big reason, it's a better road bike, and none of them are great off road. If you decide you do like the off road stuff, then you can get a more dedicated off road bike, and it'll compliment the V-strom better then it'd compliment a KLR or DR.
Once you've gotten comfortable on the more street oriented bike, a WR250R, CRF250L, KLX250S, or DRZ400 will allow you to ride to the trails, link trails on streets, tool around town, or ride it as a back up, if the road bike is ever out of commission. A dedicated dirt bike limits your riding areas dramatically. Any one of those dual sports can be found for $3000 or less.

A Verseys or the, dare I say it, aforementioned Honda, would both also serve as great road oriented machines that can handle dirt or gravel roads, but are generally much less commonly found used than a Strom. The difference in off-road ability between the Strom, Verseys, and 500X will be marginal; the Strom has better tire options, but 95% of the difference between these 3 bikes will come down to the rider.

If I were you, in an effort to keep this thread moving forward, I would begin searching. Cycletrader.com, Craigslist, stromtrooper.com, and the flea market here are all good sources for used bike. Post up some options you find in your area, and perhaps we can give you some more specific feedback.

that's some good advice there. I have a DL650 V-Strom and I love it, but it's not a dirt bike. It's a road bike that can handle some light off pavement riding. It's great on country roads with rough pavement and/or gravel.

I also really like the CB500X, and I would love to have one. I am sure it is more competent off road than the bigger, heavier, DL650. But still, it's primarily a road bike.

I don't know how gnarly these trails are that you are talking about, but pretty much ANY bike can handle some light off pavement work. I used to ride my GL1500 on gravel roads all the time. No one ever told me it couldn't do that!

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/vict...-street-tires/

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #69
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

So lets start weeding them out. Vstroms are first up. The cheapest at $3800 has the most miles at 33k, but is the only one with any protection (skid plate, crash bars) and luggage (top box). The other two are like twins

That is just how similar they are, same color, same year, only 1k difference on the odometer, no protection or luggage and maybe $100 - $200 dollar difference in price.

So do you go with broken in at 33k, plus from what i have read, with must have additions to the vstrom are already on the bike....that money saved plus the difference in price can be used for upgraded riding gear. OR the gently/barely used vstrom that you have to add the skid plate and crash bars to help brace the inevitable fall/drop that most riders experience?

vstateblazer screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 07:19 PM
Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #70
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

Aerial shot of trails

here is the aerial shot of one of the places off the Flint River in Albany, Ga. As a boy fishing from the bank I would see people on atv's just riding the trails along the river bank. It also has two technical/small dune sections that dirt bikes and race atv can jump and leave rooster tails out of U-turns. The terrain is loamy sandy in some areas, full sand, slick GA red clay, exposed roots, a lot of mud crossings.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #71
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Personally, as I've mentioned before, those extra miles wouldn't scare me, so I'd gladly take the lower cost and added extras.

Big bikes tend to be awful in sand, just so you know in advance.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #72
vstateblazer OP
Adventurer

I'm thinking more along the lines of two separate bikes now if I want to actively pursue dirt riding. X had a part in reminding me that it was the least important of my needs. So the more road oriented bike will suit my current needs better.

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #73
EffinNewGuy
Adventurer

Quote:
So lets start weeding them out. Vstroms are first up. The cheapest at $3800 has the most miles at 33k, but is the only one with any protection (skid plate, crash bars) and luggage (top box). The other two are like twins

That is just how similar they are, same color, same year, only 1k difference on the odometer, no protection or luggage and maybe $100 - $200 dollar difference in price.

So do you go with broken in at 33k, plus from what i have read, with must have additions to the vstrom are already on the bike....that money saved plus the difference in price can be used for upgraded riding gear. OR the gently/barely used vstrom that you have to add the skid plate and crash bars to help brace the inevitable fall/drop that most riders experience?

33k is nothing for a Wee. Get it, ride it, and report back.
EffinNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #74
LordSmoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
I know where there is a most outstanding DL650 for sale that might be in your area. Perhaps you should pm the current owner if you are interested.

Q: Are you an experienced rider? The Wee can be survivable first bike, but something in the 250-500cc range is generally a better choice.
2014 BMW R1200GSW
LordSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #75
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,981
Quote:
here is the aerial shot of one of the places off the Flint River in Albany, Ga. As a boy fishing from the bank I would see people on atv's just riding the trails along the river bank. It also has two technical/small dune sections that dirt bikes and race atv can jump and leave rooster tails out of U-turns. The terrain is loamy sandy in some areas, full sand, slick GA red clay, exposed roots, a lot of mud crossings.
I would not take a DL650 or a CB500X into sand, mud, roots.... in fact I would get an ATV to do that, not a bike. But that's just me. I am 55 yo and I don't want to fall down any more,

Af the 3 V-Stroms you mentioned, I would go for the one with the accessories - but I would like to see some proof that maintenance has been done regularly.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote