Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I bought a 50cc Yamaha C3 simply out of curiosity and to use as a winter beater. I, too, scoffed at the idea of a scooter but I relished the opportunity to try something new.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected it to be so much fun. It is the only bike I use to go around town now, it's that much fun. The bonus of the fun is 100 MPG, dirt cheap insurance and tons of practicality. I love the twist 'n go transmission and its capability. Hell, I even like ripping along in traffic, trying to stay in their draft to reach the eye watering top speed of nearly 50 mph. Mine even has a cup holder!

Scooters are freakin' fun
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,491
Jump in the shallow end first. Find used Kymco or Genuine 125 for a grand. See if it is as fun as you think it will be (it is!). Then sell the first one and buy whatever you want.

I'm not a huge fan of the PCX. Imo it's too big. it gets away from the beauty of the scooter concept, mainly small size. As you go bigger and bigger you eventually end up witha small, underpowered motorcycle. Look at a PCX, then check out a Buddy 170i. The Buddy is TINY! Mucho better.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
If you're unsure about whether you're going to embrace scootering, it might be a good idea to find a good used one to sample before investing in a brand new one. A Chinese scooter is an option if you're prepared to do some repairs- from what I've seen, they are consistently inconsistent. Japanese or European cost more for a reason.
My first experience with a scooter was a Honda Helix that my girlfriend had just bought. I enjoyed myself so much that I soon found myself an '85 Elite 250 that I found to be a blast, drum brakes and all. After a year on that, I moved up to my Tmax, which is my daily commuter these days.

Someone once said that a scooter doesn't replace a motorcycle, it replaces a car. A lot of truth in that.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
I have been riding scooters for, wow, a couple decades. Oh, I have a garage full of motorcycles too, but when I need to just "go" I get on the Aprilia Scarabeo.

Today being a case in point. Downtown Asheville is a human zoo. Touristas everywhere. Parking for SUVs and such is nonexistent. I got on the scooter, had fun, and bought a week's worth of groceries at Trader Joes - parking where the bicycles do. Top case swallowed it all.

Coming home, I saw a guy in a big SUV with his window down looking at me. "100 mpg, unless I ride it like I stole it, then it's only 70mpg or so..."

He said "I gotta get me one of those".

I smiled zipping home. Now a Dales Pale Ale.
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Someone once said that a scooter doesn't replace a motorcycle, it replaces a car. A lot of truth in that.
It was me that said the. And dammit, it was brilliant.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,496
screw the whole idea of saving gas. if it will make you happy just buy the damn thing. life is way too short to have regrets about the things you didn't do but wanted to.
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Just a thought: you might look for a used Honda Reflex. You will put some serious miles on commuting, and the extra cc's will give you the option to hit the freeway on days where it may be needed. Depreciation will be minimal due to the low entry cost, and they apparently have pretty good wind protection.

But if a PCX suits you, go for it. I'm just a fan of used because there are so many screaming deals out there on used scooter with very few miles in them.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #23
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Do it.

I've been trying to sell off my stable of 7 motorcyles, including a ZX14R and S1000RR to replace all with a scooter - probably a BV350.

I'm going simple this time.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #24
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Captain Jim, I was planning on sending my wife to msf brc, is she able to take the scooter instead of using there bikes?
Not Captain Jim and it has been a long while since I took the BRC but they didn't allow riders to use their own bikes here in Kentucky during the BRC. They told me to come back for the ERC with my own bike. I told them I wanted the classroom stuff from the BRC so I rode one of their bikes while my scooter was parked in the parking lot next to the riding area.

Doug from Kentucky
Old 05-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #25
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
It was me that said the. And dammit, it was brilliant.
Yes it was ...
Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #26
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Ideally if my wife faced her fears of clutch shifting we could get two small dual sports but to have my best friend ride with me is priceless.
Check with local MSF instructors. In Texas you can take the MSF on scooters at some places and not others. Awesome Cycles just north of Houston allows you to take the MSF on either a motorcycle or scooter and subject to safety inspection and proof of insurance you can use your own bike but they do discourage it because of the number of people who have dropped their bike during the class, especially in the figure 8 and slow weaves. They are the place I always recommend locally because in addition to the scooters they have a variety of bike styles available so you can learn on something laid out like what you ride or will ride.

Others require you to use their 250cc baby cruisers.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #27
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 807
CDWise and others answered the MSF question - depends on the location and class.

And for JerryH, and his doubting mind, we DO get 100 mpg with our PCXes. Well, for full disclosure, I get around 100 mpg, +/- a bit depending on how and where I ride. The lowest I have gotten was 96 mpg. My wife, who weighs less than I do, always gets more than 100 mpg.

As I recall, Jerry, you were considering a PCX at one time (I can go back and look at the posts, but I remember that from when we were looking for scoots). You don't like fuel injection... so, your 125 with a carb gets 75 mpg and my 150 with FI gets 100 mpg. Darn that fancy, modern FI. And while I'm at it, you had BIG concerns about the valve adjustment interval and process on the PCX... but you have no issue with the fact that your Stella will probably need another top end because you rode it more than 50 mph!! You like your scooters and the no-shift ease, but you bought a RE so you can shift and still NOT ride above 60 mph (with a 500cc bike)... after going on and on about a SYM HD200.

Whew!

And on the discussion of the cost of a PCX... they don't give 'em away. Considering all it does, I think it is a good value. Each person has to determine what fits their wallet. Fit and finish on our scoots is typical Honda nice. Style is a matter of taste, and we like the modern styling of the PCX... we get comments and compliments about the scoots all the time. And questions: How fast? What kind of MPG? How much?

And, regarding size: the PCX 150 will out-perform a Buddy 170i. The PCX is a little bigger, offering good wind protection. A PCX weighs 286 pounds wet, ready to ride. Genuine lists the weight of the 170i as 243 pounds, DRY. Add to that oil and fuel. The bikes are pretty darn close in weight, and the 14" wheels on the PCX will ride better than the 10" wheels on the Buddy. Don't get me wrong, I think the Buddy is a great scoot, but I chose the PCX because of the features.

I did my research and determined the PCX to be the scoots that would best fit our usage. Human nature being what it is, most of us think we made the best choice. The OP specifically mentioned a PCX - sounds like it would do the job for him.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 05-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Get a scooter. You will soon be considering a Buell sale.
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #29
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 527
I was looking at the yamaha c3 a while back,s I think it's really cool but it wouldn't work for me.

Jim i'm pretty tall and find the pcx a great fit, the retro styled scooters are not my thing i'm afraid.

The helix's are cool and i'd ride one, but prefer the reflex's but I do not see many for sale.

Motoracer51. I was reading your posts a few days ago on the zx14r. I also would really like a zx14 for the weekends, if you get a moment could you pm me regarding the running costs of the beast, I got an insurance quote a few days ago and it wasn't much more than my buell.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 AM   #30
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post

And on the discussion of the cost of a PCX... they don't give 'em away. Considering all it does, I think it is a good value. Each person has to determine what fits their wallet. Fit and finish on our scoots is typical Honda nice. Style is a matter of taste, and we like the modern styling of the PCX... we get comments and compliments about the scoots all the time. And questions: How fast? What kind of MPG? How much?

And, regarding size: the PCX 150 will out-perform a Buddy 170i. The PCX is a little bigger, offering good wind protection. A PCX weighs 286 pounds wet, ready to ride. Genuine lists the weight of the 170i as 243 pounds, DRY. Add to that oil and fuel. The bikes are pretty darn close in weight, and the 14" wheels on the PCX will ride better than the 10" wheels on the Buddy. Don't get me wrong, I think the Buddy is a great scoot, but I chose the PCX because of the features.

I did my research and determined the PCX to be the scoots that would best fit our usage. Human nature being what it is, most of us think we made the best choice. The OP specifically mentioned a PCX - sounds like it would do the job for him.

Best wishes,
Jim
This ^

All of this ^
FizzyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote