Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #31
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
You're only on this rock for so long, enjoy it.
Never know what tomorrow will bring so live a little today. Buy what you like and to hell with justifying it.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 AM   #32
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,611
A PCX150 and a ZX14. Now there's two different approaches to two-wheeled travel!

Sounds like you've convinced yourself. Go buy a PCX. It will be a blast.

As a note, I did the math and figured that every time I do 1000 miles on the scooter instead of the truck I save $200 in gas. Someone else here came up with similar numbers, so I think they are reasonable. I have already saved $1200 on a scooter that cost $800. Pretty cool if you ask me. It will take awhile to burn off $4K, but it can be done. Note that I didn't do any calculations for wear and tear on the truck that I saved, tires, etc. The actual savings will be a little higher than my estimate. And you can't put a price on fun or convenience.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #33
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
If you can afford it without pain go for it.
I bought this a TGB150cc, it is more fun than I imagined at first I was amazed at the utility and storage 3 weeks on I'm looking at a bigger topbox just because.
I filled up the other day and thought to myself 'Hmm 5.2 litres and roughly 150 km/s I know I have it to the stop regular but surely that's a bit much?"
Then I caught myself and laughed seriously! this economy you complain about ?
It's nice to be able to do a flat out high speed run every time you have it out too.
Like being a little kid again.
2 years old with a 1000k's on it for $1200 with 10 months rego bargain!
I have noticed that you Yanks don't mention TGB's so I assume you don't have them over there? Basically similiar to Kymco in that they are Taiwanese and have roughly equivalent quality levels.

For those that are curious
http://www.tgbscooters.com.au/
gunnabuild1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #34
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,620
I happen to like both shifting and the convenience of not shifting. Both the Stella and the RE are toys. I do not ride them to go places, I ride them simply for the enjoyment of riding them. I love the riding experience they provide. They are both basically new vintage bikes, and ride like vintage bikes. I love vintage bikes. I'm pretty sure I can replace the top end on the Stella in under 3 hours if I wanted to. Stock top ends on Stellas tend to last about 15,000 miles. I'm slowly closing in on that. When I have an engine failure, I intend to rebuild the entire engine using much higher quality parts. To me it is totally worth it for the fun that riding it provides. Plus I also enjoy working on real machines. With the Stella and the RE, performance or saving money has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about having fun.

In the way that the Stella and RE are fun, the Zuma is totally boring. It is more fun to run around town on than driving a car, but the riding experience itself is very bland. I'm hoping a new exhaust and some street tires will make it more fun. At least I will be able to hear the engine, and it should handle corners much better. The Vulcan 750 is also pretty bland. It is a v-twin, but has none of the vibration and rumble a v-twin is supposed to have. What it does have is lots of comfort, and the ability to carry me and a lot of stuff all over the country at freeway speeds. And that it has done, for 90,000 miles. It's all about travel, not the riding experience. Basically a smaller Goldwing.

The XT225 is miserable on the road. What makes it fun is off road riding. Exploring places a street bike won't go.

But they are all toys. If I have errands to run that do not involve fun, like going to the store, and up until recently going to work, I take a car. It has a heater and A/C, rain and sun protection, and plenty of room to carry stuff, including other people. Despite having ridden over half a million miles, almost none of those miles were necessary. They were all for recreation. Yep, I just burned up all that gas for nothing but enjoyment. And it was totally worth it. To me anyway.

The OP said he doesn't like the idea of spending $4000 and seems to need to justify it by using the scooter for saving money. I just spent $6000 on the RE, knowing to begin with that it was not only not going to save me a single penny, but probably cost me a lot more in the future. The exhaust I want costs $200, the carb conversion kit costs almost $600. And I'm sure I'll find other things I want for it. I don't see a problem with that. It's a hobby.

To me, as far as transportation goes, bikes are inferior in every way to cars/trucks. What makes them desirable is that they are fun. Unlike cars, nobody rides a motorcycle because they have to, they do so because they want to.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 AM   #35
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Jerry while I understand your point and realise that you are speaking for your situation I disagree that cars are superior as transportation.
North America is not the only place on the planet.
If you live in a large city a scooter is more efficient than either a car or a motorcycle and seriously mate do you really think millions of Asians and Europeans ride scooters cause their fun?
No doubt a great many do but for most it is simply economics and for others efficiency it just takes too long to get from place to place by car.
And yes a basic econobox car will cost less to operate over the long term than a motorcycle bigger than say 500cc but no vehicle with 4 wheels will cost less than a two wheeled conveyance chosen explicitly for economy and efficiency.
And no man should interfere with anothers right to justify to himself or a significant other about his reasons for buying a bike.
gunnabuild1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #36
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
We've had a lot of scooters 'n peds:

Genuine Buddy 150
Vespa GTS 250ie (a performer, but too fat for two-up & $$$ey)
Yamaha Vino 125
Yamaha Zuma 125 (kitted to 164)
Yamaha C3 (twice!)
Tomos ST (amped with a pipe & sprockets)
CT70 clone (110cc)
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'06 Honda Big Ruckus
and currently, the '13 EFI Yamaha Vino Classic and a '13 Honda PCX 150 (actual 153cc).

The PCX150 finally is the machine that does it all - dead reliable, light and flickable enough for pleasurable chore-running in horrible city traffic (Greater Washington, DC area), speedy enough for highway travel on urban/suburban Interstates. Never fails to deliver +/- 100 mpg with my considerable bulk; a claimed 13.4 hp; leans very well, and is a joy in the twisties; handles low East coast mountains with ease. Storage-challenged, but solved that with no-name throw-over soft bags.

It's the scooter that finally made the last of our motorcycles - even the small, light ones - go away. I did choke a bit on the price, buuuut...ya get what ya pay for.

That said, I ain't crazy about the esthetics, preferring the "look" of traditional Euro-scoots to the swoopy Batmobile lines: nonetheless, because it can "profile" as a street bike to oncoming riders, I always enjoy the discomfiture of crotchrocketeers who withdraw their "waves" when they realize it's a scooter.
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #37
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Just stating my reason for buying bikes. Where I live, at least owning a car, or at least having access to one is an absolute necessity. I'm going to Home Depot this morning to buy some plywood and 2x4s. No way can I haul that on a scooter. I also understand the economical aspect of scooters in some countries. The most common vehicle around here is a crew cab truck that gets about 12 mpg. I cannot afford to buy one of those, or put gas in it. Yet many obviously can. And most of them I see have only one person in it. Everybody's situation is different. I consider myself very fortunate that I can have several bikes just for fun.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #38
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 529
Tires alone on the pcx are $200 less than on the buell. I believe it will not take long to recoup the initial cost.

Redhandmoto how much do you weight if you don't mind me asking? How is the pcx 2up?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #39
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm pretty sure I can replace the top end on the Stella in under 3 hours if I wanted to. Stock top ends on Stellas tend to last about 15,000 miles. I'm slowly closing in on that. When I have an engine failure, I intend to rebuild the entire engine using much higher quality parts. To me it is totally worth it for the fun that riding it provides. Plus I also enjoy working on real machines. With the Stella and the RE, performance or saving money has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's all about having fun.
If it takes you longer than an hour to put a bolt on top end (no polishing or timing adjustment) on a Stella you're asleep. At 15K you'll be one of the fortunate ones if the crank is still alive. It's a good thing you enjoy working on it because you'll need to. And yes, I've owned one.

The PCX is the exact opposite. While I have no desire or need for one with a BV350 in the garage, if all of my use was urban the BV would be absolute overkill while the PCX would be a great choice. I'd love to get 100 mpg. My work commute would cost 6 bucks per week. But I have too much highway usage to own anything that can't maintain 70 mph for hours on end. That's where the BV comes in.

To the OP - I bought my BV 350 last year. My heavily optioned Triumph Tiger 800 is now up for sale

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #40
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Well, sir, I was 5' 11" and 192 when I bought it. Wife dragooned me into her diet, and now I'm 180. Hope to salad my way down to 170-ish, but I'm developing lettuce poisoning...
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Honda PS250 Big Ruck, Vino Classic 49, Honda Rebel, et al...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #41
MichRocks
Sunset Rider

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac1680 View Post
you're only on this rock for so long, enjoy it.
Never know what tomorrow will bring so live a little today. Buy what you like and to hell with justifying it.

Be big,
amac
+1

www.redrockcomputer.com
MichRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If it takes you longer than an hour to put a bolt on top end (no polishing or timing adjustment) on a Stella you're asleep. At 15K you'll be one of the fortunate ones if the crank is still alive. It's a good thing you enjoy working on it because you'll need to. And yes, I've owned one.

The PCX is the exact opposite. While I have no desire or need for one with a BV350 in the garage, if all of my use was urban the BV would be absolute overkill while the PCX would be a great choice. I'd love to get 100 mpg. My work commute would cost 6 bucks per week. But I have too much highway usage to own anything that can't maintain 70 mph for hours on end. That's where the BV comes in.

To the OP - I bought my BV 350 last year. My heavily optioned Triumph Tiger 800 is now up for sale
Yes I can do it faster, I said 3 hours because that's how long they say it takes to adjust the PCX150's valves on the PCX forum.

Rather than a PCX, why not just go for a 250-350 scooter? Still much smaller and lighter than a maxi, and freeway and long distance capable.

And I do intend to do a complete rebuild when the Stella engine fails. A Malossi crank, Polini top end, and a number of other non stock parts. Probably go ahead and remove the oil injection, so it doesn't fail and destroy those expensive parts. It's not necessary, I only ride the thing around locally. I may sell the Vulcan, as I don't really feel like riding long distance anymore.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #43
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I happen to like both shifting and the convenience of not shifting. Both the Stella and the RE are toys. I do not ride them to go places, I ride them simply for the enjoyment of riding them. I love the riding experience they provide. They are both basically new vintage bikes, and ride like vintage bikes. I love vintage bikes. ...

To me, as far as transportation goes, bikes are inferior in every way to cars/trucks. What makes them desirable is that they are fun. Unlike cars, nobody rides a motorcycle because they have to, they do so because they want to.
Your experience is yours, Jerry. Some of us can see the way others use their transportation works for them. While I am a fan of the PCX because of all it does so well, I would never suggest that it is the right scoot for everyone and all other options are "inferior." I find myself shaking my head at many of your contradicting statements, but those are your opinions. You say you enjoy doing maintenance on your bikes, but doing maintenance on a PCX is somehow a bad thing. Because your "boring Zuma" (who buys a boring scoot?? And your solution to "boring" is to change the color and add a louder muffler??) only gets 75 mpg, those of us with a faster, bigger, better performing scoot must be exaggerating because our scoots truly get 100 mpg?

However, your statement that "nobody rides a motorcycle because they have to, they do so because they want to," causes me to take exception. I'll go to the head of the line here under the sign that says, "Good for my soul." It probably goes without mentioning the wonderful therapeutic effect a bike (scooter or motorcycle) offers... certainly less expensive than therapy.

You say you ride for fun - if you live the way you write, you can't be having much fun.

I don't give a rat's rear what anyone else chooses for a ride. We choose what works for us. I also drive one of those big pickups you look down your nose at, because we are frequently towing some heavy loads (5th wheel or boat); it's a diesel because that is more capable in handling those heavy loads. And when we aren't towing, it is our daily driver. It is the solution to our mobile lifestyle.

Lose the preachy-ness. It does nothing for your credibility.

A "new vintage bike"?? Best oxymoron I've seen in a long time.

Jim
Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,611
Speaking of, this looks like a pretty good deal. I'm no relation to the seller, in fact I'd say they look a little sketchy, lol.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcd/4488741437.html

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #45
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
buy a scooter
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote