Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #61
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
...Last year I bought a 110cc Chinese made Honda SuperCub clone, $826 OTD,......I loaded it up with 40+lb. of gear rode it from Philly to NYC back in March and it stayed in NYC since as my favorite vehicle to operate within 5-boro.
Now that was well bought! What route did you take from Philly to NYC on it?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #62
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
What is more interesting to me is how consensus has formed around the Honda as the best thing since sliced bread and canned beer.
You almost say that like Honda isn't. I think Honda's even better. The best thing since titties or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
To me the best criterion for owning a scooter as well as a motorcycle is having a back up ride. And variety. Switching from motorcycle to scooter and back refreshes each ride experience.
Not everyone has the luxury of more than one bike though. If you gotta have one that will do it all, and do it all extremely economically, you can't beat a scooter for it.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #63
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
I find that fuel is not the biggest saving. It's damage to your nice bike.

It's the saved scrapes when you are parked, the fading paint from being outside all day, if it falls over. None of this matters on a $1000 scooter but will easily devalue a big bike by that much.

The fuel saving is just cream, as is the fun...
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #64
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Why do that?
To justify buying one.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #65
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Not so, my friend. If you compare scooter versus car you are basically paying yourself $200 every time you ride the scooter 1000 miles. Buy a used scoote Fora grand, and 5000 miles later it's paid for itself. Then it's like free money.
A couple challenges on this. First requires an assumption that the scooter will be used only as an alternative to the car. Every two wheeled vehicle I own has spent many miles going places I never would have bothered with my truck. I use them to explore, to joy ride,etc.

Secondly, in the case of the OP, while he is planning to use the scooter solely for commuting (that is until he figures out how much fun it is) he wasn't replacing a 4 wheel gas hog, but rather purchasing a 3rd vehicle to suppliment a motorcycle that already gets 45 mpg (on premium fuel).

Lastly, as Conch said, there are other associated costs for those of us who live where weather affects riding- lots of gear, helmets, rain stuff, multiple gloves depending, etc. As is often the case the car/truck becomes the backup vehicle to ride- in some parts of the country 2 wheels aren't an option for 1/3 to 1/2 of the year. Scooters might be justifiable if they are used in place of a car over the life of the vehicle, but factoring depreciation, insurance, tags, inspections, farkles and gear, if I'm being intellectually honest there are too many factors to presume the scooter comes out ahead versus simply buying a cheap but functional small used import car.

Thankfully, I have never had to produce a total cost of ownership report for my wife on my toys. I don't want to drive a Corolla to work.

If I get some time I may work up an analysis using my truck versus a couple of alternatives. If I do I'll post results for my situtation living in Atlanta.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #66
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 853
I bought a couple scooters because my wife said to. I had no idea they would be this much fun.

When we used to travel with a couple Goldwings or Harleys, people would often say to us - "That looks like fun - and you're getting good gas mileage, too!"

Two bikes that get less than 50 mpg each = less than 25 mpg as we travel. It darn well better be fun!

Any reason one wants to use to justify a purchase will suffice... buy the scooter. It's good for you... good for the dealer... good for the economy... good for the environment. Buying a scooter to save money is like my wife coming home with two pair of shoes, because: "They were on sale! Look how much I saved!"

Seriously, the only people who ever regret buying a scooter are the ones who do so "because it will save on gas money"... those are the scoots that get used a few times, then dropped, then left in the garage. Those people don't know how to have fun.

People on this forum are the enthusiasts.

Buy the scooter.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #67
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
A couple challenges on this. First requires an assumption that the scooter will be used only as an alternative to the car. Every two wheeled vehicle I own has spent many miles going places I never would have bothered with my truck. I use them to explore, to joy ride,etc.

Secondly, in the case of the OP, while he is planning to use the scooter solely for commuting (that is until he figures out how much fun it is) he wasn't replacing a 4 wheel gas hog, but rather purchasing a 3rd vehicle to suppliment a motorcycle that already gets 45 mpg (on premium fuel).

Lastly, as Conch said, there are other associated costs for those of us who live where weather affects riding- lots of gear, helmets, rain stuff, multiple gloves depending, etc. As is often the case the car/truck becomes the backup vehicle to ride- in some parts of the country 2 wheels aren't an option for 1/3 to 1/2 of the year. Scooters might be justifiable if they are used in place of a car over the life of the vehicle, but factoring depreciation, insurance, tags, inspections, farkles and gear, if I'm being intellectually honest there are too many factors to presume the scooter comes out ahead versus simply buying a cheap but functional small used import car.

Thankfully, I have never had to produce a total cost of ownership report for my wife on my toys. I don't want to drive a Corolla to work.

If I get some time I may work up an analysis using my truck versus a couple of alternatives. If I do I'll post results for my situtation living in Atlanta.
Yeah, it's a little tougher to make money if your scooter is replacing a bike. But you make a shitload of money if you use the scooter for those short trips to the store, to pick up a pizza, do take a kid to swim practice, etc. When the ol' lady tells you to go get a quart of milk, you don't drag the motorcycle out of the garage. You take the car. You make money if you take the scooter instead.

Now, telling the wife you're buying a motorcycle to save money on gas? Yeah, that's a lie.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #68
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I am closing in on the due date for my restored Vespa P200 experiment. My idea is that a properly restored two stroke 1979 Vespa will be reliable and easy to maintain at home and will be a lot of fun to ride. By the time I get it back (in July please God) I will be out around $6500 through the purchase, transport home from Iowa, and restoration. More on that later.
I could say it will save money as it has almost no replaceable service parts ( no filters and no battery), few fluids, ( drum brakes, air cooled and half a cup of gear oil) and I can do easy tire changes at home (split rims) and with new wiring, cables clutch suspension etc hung on a steel frame it should outlive me (56 years of age). Legal fees are almost none as it is an antique, registration is $20 and legal insurance coverage is pennies a day....and Florida would rather drown with the polar bears than initiate vehicle inspections.
Am I saving money in a year round riding environment? Not for a long time.
If this isn't fun and this isn't the nostalgia kick I hope it is...the experiment will have failed!

But I'm not seeking opinions or asking permission ( except from my wife) because if it does work I will be happy and my Bonneville will wear out more slowly.
Ps I use my wife's ET4 but I find CVT boring and the mechanicals overwhelming for my low mechanical eptitude/tolerance.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #69
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 529
Thanks for the opinions. I'm dead set on getting a 2015 honda pcx 150 as soon as I get back from Afghanistan.

How much are scooter belts and how easy is it to do it your self?

I though scooter tires last around 6000 miles like the michelin city grip, is this not the case?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #70
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Larger diameter wheels last longer. 10/12 inch wheels are lucky to get 3500 miles in my experience. If you are the least bit mechanical changing a belt is not impossible. I go to YouTube and "how to..." When I want to learn something like that.
Belts on CVT scooters are interesting beasts as they provide drive and gearing so they wear much faster than Harley Davidson style drive belts. They are hidden from the elements and from view so figuring when to change them is subjective if you ignore the owner's manual. They take their drive off the crankshaft so putting them back together incorrectly can wreck the entire engine.

Don't be put off, you have come this far and you have to live the scooter experience yourself. Like all motorcycle purchases experience will confirm or reject your fears and prejudices and desires. Your second purchase will inevitably suit you better!
Good luck and cherish the Buell.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #71
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
...You make money if you take the scooter instead...

Only if you already have the scooter...

Otherwise, also factor in the cost of buying, licensing (in some states), maintaining, & insuring (if necessary or wanted) the scooter.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #72
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Thanks for the opinions. I'm dead set on getting a 2015 honda pcx 150 as soon as I get back from Afghanistan.
Woo! Check out hondapcx.org, tons of info there. Lots and lots of howtos for the 2011-2014 here: http://hondapcx.org/viewforum.php?f=3

The 2015 is completely new, no real howtos or info on it yet.

Quote:
Honda likes to overtighten the nuts on the clutch and variator, so it usually requires an impact wrench the first time.

I can make a howto for the 2011s if you want. It's easy -- remove lower left fairing (5 screws, 2 bolts), remove variator cover (8 bolts), use variator holder or pulley holder to hold variator and use the impact wrench to bring it off. Do the same for the clutch. Put the belt on, reassemble.

I can do it in under 10 minutes, but I've done a few.

The procedure is probably similar, but not identical, for the new 2014s.

Quote:
I though scooter tires last around 6000 miles like the michelin city grip, is this not the case?
Depends on you, your weight, and your roads. My front tire (stock IRC tire) has 10k miles on it and still has life in it. I'm on my 2nd rear, the first (stock IRC tire) lasted 8k miles. I have a Dunlop on there, I'll probably get 8-10k out of it. I'll probably need a new front at 15-18k miles.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #73
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Only if you already have the scooter...

Otherwise, also factor in the cost of buying, licensing (in some states), maintaining, & insuring (if necessary or wanted) the scooter.
Absolutely. It takes several thousand miles to burn off the initial cost. After that it's free money.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #74
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Belts are easy. You need an impact gun.

Idk about the tires. I put on a set of City Grips 5000 miles ago. They still look like new. I'll bet I get at least 10K miles out of these things.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #75
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
OEM CVT belt on my 2008 China scoot still looks fine after 18k+ mi.; i last checked back in APR 2014.