User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
elmoreman OP
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,774
How do you adjust the Ohlins?

Ive decided that I need some more oomph from my rear shock and cant figure out how to adjust it (even with the so-called manual). Its got the preload at top, clicker adjuster on the bottom, and dial on the separate cable. Whats the best way to make adjustments on this thing (1990 GSPD)? Its too soft right now...
elmoreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
turning the adjusters in still won't make the spring any stiffer.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
Ohlins?

You have the remote adjuster located on the rear fender? If so, I believe
that is the pre-load adjuster which allows for a stiffer or softer ride.
Have you adjusted this device?
I put an Ohlins on my '93 GS/PD with the remote adjustable reservoir. I had
Stig at PPS set up my shock for my weight & riding style, he said to just
adjust the remote when I needed a different ride. Good luck.
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
You need to learn the jargon.

And then explain what you mean 'soft'?

Think the remote adjuster would be preload. And that sets the ride height.

The one on the shock bottom should be rebound.

The one on the r shock top should be commpression.

Write down where you are now. As much info as you can - how it feeels over various surfaces - ride height, with and without rider, luggage ...

First rule :
Change one thing at a time.

Second rule :
See Rule 1.

---- If you think it could be firmer - try clockwise rotation of the commpression adjuster. This should make the rear more reluctant to compress for bumps - ie it will try to kick your bum more.

You do reaqlly need to read more about shocks - the ohlins site has some stuff about adjusting them. Go read.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #5
elmoreman OP
takin' a break, boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
You need to learn the jargon.

You do reaqlly need to read more about shocks - the ohlins site has some stuff about adjusting them. Go read.
Feeling a little scolded, but thanks for the advice. I thought this was the place to come and learn the jargon...
Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 AM   #6
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,516
I've an ohlins on my g/s. I bought it new and gave them information on my weight, type of riding etc. So it came with what the factory said was the right settings, it's worked great so far. Frank is right, you need to know what you are doing to adjust these things. The pros will mess with settings for a week and still get it wrong on race day. I'd get in touch with ohlins and get their advice on suggested setting and start there. As for yours being too soft, is it actually bottoming out? This page has numerous links to article on suspension adjustment etc. that may help.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ks-suspension/

JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoreman
Ive decided that I need some more oomph from my rear shock and cant figure out how to adjust it (even with the so-called manual). Its got the preload at top, clicker adjuster on the bottom, and dial on the separate cable. Whats the best way to make adjustments on this thing (1990 GSPD)? Its too soft right now...
Sometime ago I bought a used GS that came with a brand new Ohlin's with rebound and pre-load adjustments only,no compression adjustment.

First thing I did was to call Ohlin's and give them the "spring#" to see what weight setup the shock/spring was built for. It fit my weight so from there I proceeded to adjust the shock to my liking.

First,I removed any pre-load to the shock.
Since the spring was already adjusted on the shock for a predetermined load/weight, 180-200lb,and my weight fell into these parameters,I began to adjust the rebound of the shock. I turned the rebound adjustment oneway, and counted the clicks till it stopped,"write it down"! Then I turned the rebound adjuster back the other way counting all the clicks till it stopped,again keep a record.
From there,I centered the rebound adjustment (count your clicks),and test rode the bike. Adjusting the rebound to my liking.
Remember to ride the "same surface" over and over as you adjust your shock so you can feel the differences as you change your settings. Adjust no more than "two clicks at a time". Be sure to write down your settings each and every time you make an adjustment,just helps to make it easier to fine tune.

The pre-load on my particular shock, is only used when any extra weight is added, like a passenger or camping gear.
This is why the shock manufacturer has different spring/loadweights and needs to know your specific riding weight loads.
This allows the shock to be built for "your personal riding habit/style" and helps make adjustments easy and "Oh so comfortable"!!!!!!
I hope this helps!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:43 AM   #8
elmoreman OP
takin' a break, boss

thanks

thats some good advice...I'll try to dedicate some time this weekend for tweaking. I think I overadjusted it because I was taking some good hits on a class 4 road yesterday (right before I got the bike stuck in mud for the first time - pushed it over, dragged it to drier ground, righted it, and took off again - kiond of fun in a massachistic way).