Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #16
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
Sounds like you're saying we should take a car and leave our scooters at home?
Or, take the scoots, tell the boss you couldn't get your car on the ferry, and spend an extra day.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

No scooter content today - I spent the day working on, then doing a shake-down on one of our boats...

First day at work for me - this boat hasn't been run for a while, so needed a thorough shake-down (no passengers). I did have a cute first mate along, though...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2014/05/first-day.html

Blonde at the helm...

Best wishes,
Jim

I'd rather be scooting.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Nice.

I don't think there's much that's nicer than being at sea...it's not for everyone, but for some of us, going to sea is part of our being.

Like I said, you are blessed man. That's a nice boat and the helmswoman seems to be cooperating...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #19
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

There will be some scooter content here again - soon, I hope... I wasn't expecting to get occupied at work until next week. Today was crew training, more maintenance, more shake-down and cleaning. When I got back to our boat after work, the Blonde said, "We need some scooter time. Soon."

I agree.

I have trips this weekend, she won't start until next week. She has been busy doing work on our boat, laundry, grocery shopping... I expect things to settle into a routine once we have all the boats ready for the season and crew trained. Then, we'll get more riding in.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #20
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post

Looks cold! What's the temp?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #21
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Looks cold! What's the temp?
Not as warm as south Texas! Temp in that photo was in the low 60s, but feels a lot colder than that on the water at speed.

Today was the first day with guests onboard this season, and a lot warmer (in the upper 60s )...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2014/05...ing-about.html

And a preview...

Nice way to start the season.

Joan doesn't start until Thursday, and I have the next few days off... a commitment with friends from Texas tomorrow, and THEN there will be some scooter time!!

Part of the reason we have come to the San Juan Islands is for the great, cool summer weather. We are both warm weather fans, but we enjoy this getaway from the summer heat of south Texas.

You know the song... "going where the weather suits my clothes." And hoping there won't be too many more days where we have to be bundled up like that photo.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #22
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Had one of those surface next to Uncle Willis' sailboat while we were on our cruise. Very impressive. As long as the boat. Seemed friendly enough, but on the hand, we didn't look like seals...
Old 06-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #23
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

A ride report on scooting around San Juan Island...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2014/06/tourists.html

A preview...

Great variety of scenery and wonderful, twisty roads. We put about 70 miles on the scoots today... not bad for an island 16 miles by 10 miles. Didn't repeat any roads.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #24
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Nice. Good times...
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #25
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

We were up early, with the plan to put the scoots on the ferry and go explore Orcas Island by land. Mother Nature didn't follow the weather weasels' prediction, and it was chilly and damp this morning. The Blonde looked outside, looked at me, and I said, "No, we don't have to do this today."

She said, "Thank you - let's just take a day to lounge."

We have been going full tilt for quite a while. It took until late afternoon to see some sunshine, so I was content with some dock walking and and a walk through town. Got the cat some leash time. Even snuck in a short nap.

Some might say, "Candy-ass"... having been married to a good woman for over 40 years, I know what it takes to keep my riding partner happy.

I plan to keep riding for a long time.

Jim
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #26
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

That's not candy-ass. That's taking care of the love of your life. Or self-preservation. Or both...
Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #27
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Confucius say:

"A woman has the last word in any argument"

"Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument"
Old 06-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
If you have a full day to yourself you owe it to yourself to get on the scooters and head off the islands to Anacortes - you'll be on Highway 20 - simply follow it until you find yourself on top of Washington Pass - you'll have already gone over Rainy Pass. There is an overlook on Washington Pass and the view is fantastic. Its about the most beautiful ride in the state of Washington. You won't regret it - unless you hit a snow storm anyway. There are plenty of pullouts to let traffic pass you - or pass slower traffic.

Do it on a Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday if you can. There won't be much traffic after you get past Sedro Woolley. Weekend traffic can be busy. Speeds are 55-60mph - be careful in Concrete - cops WILL ticket for 1mph over in the 35mph zone. Bunch of a-holes - city council etc. If you like quaint little towns Winthrop is only another 60 miles. It would be a full day of riding to go there however. Probably an overnighter from where you are now.

I've rode all over San Juan years ago. Used to have a GF with parents there. We'd ride out for the day with blankets and a lunch and lounge around on a secluded beach or nice meadow. This was back in the early 70's. We didn't ride much at night because of the rabbits. I don't know if they are still the problem they were then but be aware - they've been known to run headlong into a set of spokes. One did that on my 650 Triumph. Scared the hell out of me - I was doing maybe 45mph. It didn't upset the bike too much but did bend a couple of spokes and left some blood. Last time I was there was in 2002 - went there for a long weekend with a GF on my Harley - wow - the place has changed - and grown. Too bad. It was a fine place in the 70's. Gotta love how the Washington State Ferry system lets bikes to the front of the line. Lines to get off the island can be long on Sundays although holiday weekends are the worst.

You are a lucky guy - San Juan Island is one of the most beautiful places in the state. I do know a few places that compete well however. And Washington Pass is one of them.

For a shorter ride - about 20 miles (maybe less) from Anacortes is Deception Pass. Its not a mountain pass. The state park there has excellent water access and the views from there are amazing. On the way there or back don't forget to take in Mt. Erie. From there on a clear day you can see Seattle with Mt Rainier in the background. About 70 miles away. Mt. Erie sits all alone - no other mountains around. Try it at sunset if you can.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium

knucklehead90 screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 03:46 PM
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #29
CaptnJim OP
Scootist

Thanks for the suggestions from the Anacortes side. We have spent time in Anacortes, but not with the scooters. Here's one of my favorite shots from the bridge over Deception Pass...

The last couple years, we have gotten off the island with our truck about once a month, but were usually concerned with resupplying from Wal-Mart, swinging by Hugo Helmer (music store), and finding a good place for lunch. Prices on the island aren't cheap, so you stock up when you can.

We also want to take that back road between Burlington (well, west of there) and Bellingham - runs along the water.

This is our 5th season in the PNW, but most of our traveling has been by boat. I'm hoping to change that with the scoots here.

Early in the season, schedules are not consistent. We'll see if the time off promised happens that way.

Jim
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #30
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
That road along the water from Mt. Vernon to Bellingham is called Chuckanut Drive. Been there many times. It overlooks a national marine park - the name of which escapes me ATM. Thats another one you might want to ride during the middle of the week if possible. To extend the day you could come back via highway 9. Nice country road with little traffic most days. It would be the 'long way back' but you'll see come nice country scenery.

And since Mt. Erie is so close you NEED to go there even if you don't go to any of those other places. Its all park (city of Anacortes IIRC) and the road to the top is paved and in good repair last time I was up there - 2005 I think. Its almost like standing on top of the world even though its only about 1300 foot high. The base is almost at sea level. Take your camera!

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote