Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,198
Bundy Freedom Riders (More Riding in Mesquite)

We decided to ride south of Mesquite (Nevada) later in the spring so we could reach the lookout point without running into snow. I was on my XR650R, Greg was on his WR450, Justin rode his KLR (because his XR650R isn't put back together) and his son, Seth, rode a new-to-him WR450.

Monday Justin and Seth came down from Montana to Utah and we worked on Seth's bike in Greg's garage. Rick couldn't make this trip, but came to supervise our chaos for a while.

Greg had a job interview the next morning, so we loaded up and left in the early afternoon. We made a few brief stops, including Rocky Mountain ATV/MC in Payson, and made it to Whitney Pocket that evening.

We knew that somewhere around our ride area the Cliven Bundy drama had been playing out. As we turned off of I-15 and drove south for Whitney Pocket we soon passed a number of encampments of supporters still lingering in the area. More on that later.

I loathe high temperatures, and Mesquite had been in the 100s, so I was a bit worried about the heat. Greg says he likes it hot. After extensive discussion, Seth and I agreed that death by cold is vastly preferable to death by heat, while Greg and Justin (cold-blooded fools that they are) dissented.

Waking up Wednesday morning:

Old 06-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Greg is an outdoor cooking savant and was good enough to prepare the food we ate in camp. We ate a lot of pork and we ate like pigs.

Wednesday breakfast:

Old 06-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I loathe high temperatures, and Mesquite had been in the 100s, so I was a bit worried about the heat. Greg says he likes it hot. After extensive discussion, Seth and I agreed that death by cold is vastly preferable to death by heat, while Greg and Justin (cold-blooded fools that they are) dissented.
In our defense it was so cold at night we all had to fully immerse ourselves into our sleeping bags, i think it got as cold as 86F at night, with a max of about 107 during the day. It was rather pleasant, i told Mike to stop his whining and drink more water!
Mesquite Area Ride
2008 Honda Shadow 750- 2000 Honda XR650L SOLD-2004 Yamaha WR450F
dragonrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Mike and Justin Hiked up to the top of the mountain that we camped in the shadow of (at 100+'s it takes a lot out of you). Here is mike admiring his foot, and Justin is in deep contemplation.

Mesquite Area Ride
Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Quote:
Greg is an outdoor cooking savant and was good enough to prepare the food we ate in camp. We ate a lot of pork and we ate like pigs.
We had discussed it, and had decided on most our trips we scrounge together whatever food we can. We chose to do good meals for this trip so we really did eat quite well compared to other trips we have gone on.
Mesquite Area Ride
Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

When i say we ate well, that is an understatement, we caught this guy for one of our dinners.

(ok .. ok.. we let him go, but you can imagine how tasty that little morsel would have been!)
Mesquite Area Ride
Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Once we polished off all the bbq squirrel we headed out for our first day of riding. We decided to get up in elevation to avoid some of the heat for the day, so we drove west into Arizona and then up into the mountains south of the Virgin River Gorge. The ride climbs above 7000' and starts looking like Flagstaff. Every previous trip to Mesquite has been in February or March and snow has kept us from exploring the area.

This late in the year we would finally be able to reach the Cedar Pocket Overlook, so that was our objective.

Here are some screen caps from some GoPro video I took on the way up.

Here's Seth in front of me:

Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
krautman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Riding into the sun ( literally )

I hate heat too ! Looks like a great time . Shoulda ate the squirrel I love the camping under the stars but I would be worried about what the douche bags I ride with (myself included) would do to someone sleeping out inthe open !!
krautman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautman View Post
I hate heat too ! Looks like a great time . Shoulda ate the squirrel I love the camping under the stars but I would be worried about what the douche bags I ride with (myself included) would do to someone sleeping out inthe open !!
Fortunately for us it was too hot for anyone to even want to start messing with each other. (also as the only person on the actual ground (me) i think the fact that i sleep with a gun close by deters any tomfoolery ))
Mesquite Area Ride
Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

We stopped at that old cabin for lunch (apparently we didn't take any pictures there). After that we made our way to that lookout point. Epic views.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

These buildings were right behind us. Greg said his wife makes the type of measurement instruments that were on this building.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

We then headed back to Whitney Pocket. I brought us to a place that we had to turn around and backtrack from.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
dragonrcr
Adrenal Gland Eater

Some seriously EPIC views!
Quote:
Mesquite Area Ride
Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

We eventually made it back to camp.

That night we had hobo dinners (ground beef, potatoes, carrots, cream of mushroom soup, wrapped in tin foil and cooked in the fire).

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 12:53 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

It was miserably hot and we had little motivation to head out into the desert. We decided to head into to get a few things and to visit the people still camped out to support Cliven Bundy, and then go for a ride in the evening.

This appears to be a guard post by where most of the campers are staying.

A little further down the road is the community meal center. We stopped by to talk with the people there.

I think the guy with the bandana was from Oregon. They talked about how they had been slandered by politicians and in the media and gave us each a copy of the constitution.

Another guy (not pictured) talked about almost stepping on a rattlesnake a little before we got there.

We were invited to come back and eat that evening, but it was more backtracking than we wanted to do.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 12:59 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote