ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Super Tenere maintenance

I know this info is buried in the big threads, but I really don't want to spend the time searching for the bits of info on maintenance.

I'm interested in what people who do big miles are using for things like brake pads, spark plugs, fluids, filters, etc...

I'm approaching 20k in nearly 3 years, so I don't really consider that big mileage. I'm only now thinking about changing out spark plugs and brake pads before I go on a long trip this summer. There are super cheap brake pads and spark plugs out there, and while I like cheap, I want value as well. So your experience would be helpful.

Down to part numbers and mileage. So if you've gotten 50k miles out of a set of brake pads, it would be good to know not only the brand of pads, but also what type of riding you do. If you are heavy or light on the brakes.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
kvango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post

Down to part numbers and mileage. So if you've gotten 50k miles out of a set of brake pads, it would be good to know not only the brand of pads, but also what type of riding you do. If you are heavy or light on the brakes.

Thanks!
Rears seem to wear fast - but I use the rear brake a lot. But if you use the front brake (only), the rear gets a squeeze too. (But using the rear first turns off linking). So you are basically always using the rear 2 pads. (Yes, the fronts due most of the stopping from speed, I know).

I just replaced my rear pads (17k) with Yamaha (3D8-25806-00-00 about $25). I would rather replace pads than $$ discs, so skipped the harder metallic pads. Also I didn't want to use a different friction product (due to the brake linkage). The old pads had about 3mm left, but were a little noisy. New pads are quiet. Plenty of pad left on the front.

Not a scientific decision, but if the Yamaha parts work fine, not a bad choice for replacement . And rears take about as long to replace as finding the right icon to add to the post . . . .

Curious if others have gone to metallic/aftermarket pads and noticed an improvement (or increased disc wear).
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone used these Volar brake pads?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XLD7I6/...=IH1YL1Z0FLRCC
Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
tenere maintenance

have a few write ups on my 2011 super t, currently with 55+ km.
www.thetenerist.wordpress.com and do a search on the site.

Pads will go quick. do yourself a favor and stick to oem pads. I have tried the ebc pads on the rear, and they destroyed my rotor, and lasted a very short time (will have to check my book for exact km's)
Front is still on original pads, and I'm not too easy on the brakes. I believe i'm on my 3rd set of rear pads.
Don't worry about the plugs, change them at 30km.
Valves are at 42km, and are not easy if you have to adjust them. The check is straightforward, again on my site.
Change your fd fluid at least every 2nd oil change. IF you do a lot of dirt, do it every oil change. It's cheap and quick.
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg the pole View Post
have a few write ups on my 2011 super t, currently with 55+ km.
www.thetenerist.wordpress.com and do a search on the site.

Pads will go quick. do yourself a favor and stick to oem pads. I have tried the ebc pads on the rear, and they destroyed my rotor, and lasted a very short time (will have to check my book for exact km's)
Front is still on original pads, and I'm not too easy on the brakes. I believe i'm on my 3rd set of rear pads.
Don't worry about the plugs, change them at 30km.
Valves are at 42km, and are not easy if you have to adjust them. The check is straightforward, again on my site.
Change your fd fluid at least every 2nd oil change. IF you do a lot of dirt, do it every oil change. It's cheap and quick.

Sounds good, thanks.

Have you changed out brake and hydraulic fluid? Tips?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
40k miles on a 2012 Super and I am still on original front and rear brake pads with no wear signs on the rotors.

I'm doing something wrong

My commuter car is a 2006 Scion xA manual transmission with 220k miles and am still on the original brake pads.

I detect a trend!
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
40k miles on a 2012 Super and I am still on original front and rear brake pads with no wear signs on the rotors.

I'm doing something wrong

My commuter car is a 2006 Scion xA manual transmission with 220k miles and am still on the original brake pads.

I detect a trend!
You shuffle gears a lot.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote