Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #136
Hartside N lakes man
Not A noob actually OLD

Oddometer: 8
Hello Everyone I am also from the Carpe TDM site http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php

just dropping in to introduce Myself and My bike

(shamelessly cut n pasted from a thread on carpe)

ok so i went for a little ride (about 130 miles)
some people might recognise some places

thunder Thighs :)

Does my Arse look big in this :lol:

Ok then the mods :- I lurve the heated grips (why didn't i use them years ago) the handguards work very well in conjunction with the grips
the sidecases make the bike (more interesting) to ride (i had 4 bricks in each wrapped in a towel to simulate load) had to crank the preload up one after about 5 miles as she felt back heavy (understandably ) however maybe it was just the roads (salt / molassis, grime,debris) but the front end did not feel at all planted today. In fact i had 2 moments (heartstoppers) then took a good look at the tyre / pressures, the pressure is where i normally run but the tyre is worn badly on both sides making the bike feel a little nervous. still got 3 or so mm of tread left so will be running it a while longer.
hopefully fit new rubber before the Rolling Thunder Tour in germany though.
Hartside N lakes man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #137
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
hey man...you also use the V-strom handguard....kewl....some of the dudes from carpe didn't like the idea....they thought GS1150 handguards are better....they said that the V-strom guards look cheapo....but i wouldnt agree anyway.....the handguards serves the same purpose...

anyway,nice photo taking shots...luv every angles....you're the man in taking shots dude...

AJ.. screwed with this post 02-01-2007 at 08:06 AM
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #138
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Oddometer: 323
Too bad he doesn't have the black blinkers though, that would finish it

www.motorisation.net
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #139
aytcat
UK TDM

Oddometer: 5
Hopefully my vstrom handguards are going to be fitted this weekend weather permitting,but got to fix exhaust leak first on muffler box :(
aytcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #140
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman

wowo...nice set of blinkers....i believe you are using Yamaha OEM sidecases...can put some pictures with it?and how much it cost?here in Singapore it cost $1800SGD for it...its double the price of Hepco & Becker....
Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #141
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Just check out my site to see all the pics you like. I have the TDM900A GT version, which comes standard with the Yamaha bags, toprack, centerstand, tall screen (don't like tall screens, short ones are more comfortable) and the lower spoiler for around 1000 euros more than the standard 900A I believe. I was able to get a very good deal on this 2006 0 km showroom model:

These pics were taken just after I picked up the bike when it was still new last August. The crashbars (not in above pics) have since been replaced with Puig sliders, the cans are now black SS Superpole cans and the rear light unit is now white with a full LED unit integrated (incl license plate LEDs):

Yes, the bike's pretty dirty now due to the winter weather.

LED light in action:

The bike's got other options as well, including MRA screen, ABM steering bar (wider, lower, more straight), CLS Speed advanced chainoil system, Daytona heated grips and plenty more.

If I would have to buy bags for a standard TDM I would have gone for the Givi option, probably including the German Quicklock SW Motech kit to mount them (removable with 3 quicklocks within seconds). I like the looks of those HB cases as well, but they also look pretty wide (like the Yamaha bags) and perhaps not as practical as the Givi ones. The Yamaha bags are not the most decent bags I've seen, certainly not worth the extra money, but they serve the purpose and do look reasonably stock I think. I usually never need more than a topbox and perhaps tankbag anyway, the sidecases are handy for vacation...

www.motorisation.net
Old 02-02-2007, 01:33 AM   #142
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

wow...nice dude....

about the sidecases,couldn't agree less...i jus removed my Givi wingrack and replaced it with Hepco & Becker...
with the givi,it serves all the purposes i need...i can swap over from sidebox to top box...and most of the time riding ard town i would just use the single top box...and even single top box,it can fit in 2 open face helmets...and with using the wingrack,i have a big baseplate,so when i use the 2 sidecases,i can put my haversack on the Givi top plate acting as a good rack...

now that i"ve swap to Hepco,it is somehow a Pain....looks good though...but actually,its difficult to ride around town during peak hour traffic...and i hardly Fit my Arai TourX...not much room...and a friend jus demonstrate to me just now,how he unlock his hepco sidecase even if it is Locked@!!#$....oh gosh...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #143
Flying Dutchman
Muther Fokker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
wow...nice dude....

about the sidecases,couldn't agree less...
So I guess you couldn't agree more?
www.motorisation.net
Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #144
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So I guess you couldn't agree more?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #145
Hartside N lakes man
Not A noob actually OLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
hey man...you also use the V-strom handguard....kewl....some of the dudes from carpe didn't like the idea....they thought GS1150 handguards are better....they said that the V-strom guards look cheapo....but i wouldnt agree anyway.....the handguards serves the same purpose...

anyway,nice photo taking shots...luv every angles....you're the man in taking shots dude...

Aha I wondered why you oposted what you did in the tutorial on Carpe

I had a search and found your origonal post on the Vstrom guards "well done" I didn't realise it had already been done

I don't think they look cheap (even though they are) and in my opinion (looking at other pictures) they offer better protection, even to the levers and pivot pins as they cover both the clutch lever and switch and the brake lever and switch.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #146
Hartside N lakes man
Not A noob actually OLD

Quote:
I have the ebay link bookmarked for the future thanks Emile
Old 02-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #147
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside N lakes man
Aha I wondered why you oposted what you did in the tutorial on Carpe

I had a search and found your origonal post on the Vstrom guards "well done" I didn't realise it had already been done

I don't think they look cheap (even though they are) and in my opinion (looking at other pictures) they offer better protection, even to the levers and pivot pins as they cover both the clutch lever and switch and the brake lever and switch.
yeah man....anyway.....cheers..
Old 02-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #148
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,146
TDM Mods

Speaking of hand guards, this past fall I fitted guards from a girlie Tiger. They fit pretty well with a few mods and look good too. Next step, heated grips. I plan on getting the header pipe Jet Hot coated this winter. Other mods planned: Custom saddle (who to do the job?), Fork Brace, Spare set of wheels for off road tires, Aftermarket exhaust (probably have to get used, I don't think anybody is still making for early TDMs), LED blinkiers and taillights.

I love this bike, can't wait for the weather to break.

Killer quad AJ!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #149
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,146
Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by comes naturally
How is it finding replacement/maintainence parts for TDM's in the states?
So far I have found most things available from my local Yammie dealer.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #150
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip
Speaking of hand guards, this past fall I fitted guards from a girlie Tiger. They fit pretty well with a few mods and look good too. Next step, heated grips. I plan on getting the header pipe Jet Hot coated this winter. Other mods planned: Custom saddle (who to do the job?), Fork Brace, Spare set of wheels for off road tires, Aftermarket exhaust (probably have to get used, I don't think anybody is still making for early TDMs), LED blinkiers and taillights.

I love this bike, can't wait for the weather to break.

Killer quad AJ!

bro,u intend to get a spare wheelset for off-rd....using the same stock wheel?or getting a new set of spokey wheels?sounds like a good plan...