Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #1696
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmizell
Ok I'm located in Texas. 92 850 forks are leaking. Got seals, but cant get the bottom bolt off the fork leg. took to local Yama shop, they dont have the tool. Many efforts have proved ineffective. Does anyone have the tool that holds the retainer, inside the fork...that maybe i could rent? Or buy if it's affordable? Or have any suggestions?
thanks, please reply to my email so i can get it on my cell phone.
lmizell@gmail.com

My local mechanic always uses an impact wrench. It will usually get them out without holding the "guts". YMMV though, and I don't claim to be an expert!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #1697
lmizell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Fork seeelz

I pulled the fork and took it to the local yamaha shop and they tried to impact wrench to no avail. brought it home and tried to build a wrench from a pipe with a bent flat. It held for a moment and then spun. Thought I'ld give up for a while,. Reassembled with new fluid but now it's weeping from the bottom bolt where we spun it. GOT to get it apart. The local yamaha shop said it was an unusual tool needed and they didnt have it. Probably costs a lot.
Any other suggestions?
lmizell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #1698
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 715
You can always drill the head off the bolt. Had to do that recently on a Honda Ascot.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #1699
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
G'day zsak800.
I have gone the bigger tyre /dualsprot tyre option on my 07 9er and love it.
Tyres are Avon Distanzier 120/80 front & 150/70 rear.
The trick is to install the 120/80 (a rear) backward. Rotation Arrow facing the wrong way.This gets the tread direction set up to turn not drive.
Be warned. Most of these types of tyres are rated well bellow what the stock oem bike tyres is. Ie stock metzler is apparently rated 240ks. The distanzia 180ks. Me im rated about 140ks.
I fitted these at 17,000 kms. bike now reads 33,000kms.
The front will outlive this rear and the next .
I do alot of gravel and shale roads as well as tar and only change the air pressure 10/12 psi between the road and grave.
The front tyre will not fit under the gaurd so you need to lift the gaurd and block it up so the gaurd cannot tilt back with wind load. If the front of the gaurd tilts up then the back tilts down/IN to the tyre and thats big bad and very ugly. See threads from masterbrewer and look at AJs bikes.
Hope thats some help.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #1700
lmizell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclefanatic
You can always drill the head off the bolt. Had to do that recently on a Honda Ascot.
Thanks, that's a good idea. replacement Bolts are easy enough to get!
Weather is 70 degrees in the Texas Hill country and I neeeed to get ready.
lmizell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #1701
zsak800
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman
G'day zsak800.
I have gone the bigger tyre /dualsprot tyre option on my 07 9er and love it.
Tyres are Avon Distanzier 120/80 front & 150/70 rear.
The trick is to install the 120/80 (a rear) backward. Rotation Arrow facing the wrong way.This gets the tread direction set up to turn not drive.
Be warned. Most of these types of tyres are rated well bellow what the stock oem bike tyres is. Ie stock metzler is apparently rated 240ks. The distanzia 180ks. Me im rated about 140ks.
I fitted these at 17,000 kms. bike now reads 33,000kms.
The front will outlive this rear and the next .
I do alot of gravel and shale roads as well as tar and only change the air pressure 10/12 psi between the road and grave.
The front tyre will not fit under the gaurd so you need to lift the gaurd and block it up so the gaurd cannot tilt back with wind load. If the front of the gaurd tilts up then the back tilts down/IN to the tyre and thats big bad and very ugly. See threads from masterbrewer and look at AJs bikes.
Hope thats some help.
Tahnks for the detailed answer . I'm gonna try it .Lifting up the guard it's complicated? there is some trick? or should i just trust myself that i can do it without any skills :)
zsak800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #1702
zsak800
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack
I experimented with this (that is, fitting a 120/80-18 rear to the front, instead of the OEM 110/80-18) on my '96 TDM 4TX. As to whether it is a recommended change, I won't comment.
IMO, it didn't work. It completely changed the dynamics of the bike for the worse. Made the bike real hard to tip in to corners, and then made it run wide on exit. I persevered for about 200 kms, but it was awful. I suspect the extra weight in the tyre may have caused this, but I am not certain. I returned to the 110/80-18 (a Sirac rear) size on the front, the handling returned to normal, and I was happiness-filled.
Hy , thanks for the answer.
Think that i'm gonna try fit it the tyre , using the advices that "Gateman" gave me .(to change the rotation of the rear tyre, to put it backward)

regards
Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #1703
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
zsak800.
look at the forks and you will see the gaurd mounting bolts front and back of each fork. Take the bolts out and you can lift the gaurd up until it contacts the swelling of the think part of the fork. About 25mm. Use a towl or foam strip to wedge between the tyre and the gaurd so you can measure and fit metal tabs (25x3mm mild flatbar cut to your length) Bolt to the fork and to the gaurd and remove the packing from the wheel.
Now with the bolt a little loose push back and forth on the gaurd and you will see how and which direction the gaurd reacts. Note what happens to the back botton side of the gaurd if you push the front up. That must never be alowed to happen. The fix is rubber wedges fitted in between the fork boly and the gaurd at the front of the fork so it cannot tilt back. THIS IS A MUST. then tighten all your bolts with nylok nuts. Play with it as it will all make sence once you see it. I have gone as far as a Y junction on the brake hose right up under the fairing so in bad going I can remove the gaurd and not have a problem with the original short hose to the other caliper.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #1704
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsak800
Tahnks for the detailed answer . I'm gonna try it .Lifting up the guard it's complicated? there is some trick? or should i just trust myself that i can do it without any skills :)

hey man...i've fitted Pirelli Scorpion and now Michelin Sirac on the front without disturbing the peaceful moment of the front fender...

but take note...using the dual sports tyres you will experience more vibs,and a very much disturbance during highspeed...But we have to compensate of what we want...trade speed with anywhere road riding...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 AM   #1705
zsak800
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman
zsak800.
look at the forks and you will see the gaurd mounting bolts front and back of each fork. Take the bolts out and you can lift the gaurd up until it contacts the swelling of the think part of the fork. About 25mm. Use a towl or foam strip to wedge between the tyre and the gaurd so you can measure and fit metal tabs (25x3mm mild flatbar cut to your length) Bolt to the fork and to the gaurd and remove the packing from the wheel.
Now with the bolt a little loose push back and forth on the gaurd and you will see how and which direction the gaurd reacts. Note what happens to the back botton side of the gaurd if you push the front up. That must never be alowed to happen. The fix is rubber wedges fitted in between the fork boly and the gaurd at the front of the fork so it cannot tilt back. THIS IS A MUST. then tighten all your bolts with nylok nuts. Play with it as it will all make sence once you see it. I have gone as far as a Y junction on the brake hose right up under the fairing so in bad going I can remove the gaurd and not have a problem with the original short hose to the other caliper.
Tomorrow i'm gonna buy the tyre, and hope it will be everything okay whit the mounting.
Thanks
I would upload some pics , but don't know why i can't .... changed the size of the pics ..but no result
Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #1706
zsak800
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
hey man...i've fitted Pirelli Scorpion and now Michelin Sirac on the front without disturbing the peaceful moment of the front fender...

but take note...using the dual sports tyres you will experience more vibs,and a very much disturbance during highspeed...But we have to compensate of what we want...trade speed with anywhere road riding...
Hy. You fitted a 120/80-18 M. Sirac without moving the fender?

Hope that the vibs won't be very unconfortable , and the speed is not a problem for me , i have no passion for high speeed ... it's enough max 150-160 km/h on hihgway and 110-120 on other roads.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #1707
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Hy. You fitted a 120/80-18 M. Sirac without moving the fender?

Hope that the vibs won't be very unconfortable , and the speed is not a problem for me , i have no passion for high speeed ... it's enough max 150-160 km/h on hihgway and 110-120 on other roads.

yup...i dont have any problems with the front tyre and fender thing..

but the vibs that i am experiencing also might due to some other factors like stiff front wheel bearings,and well...i think the fork need some oil change as well...but I am just too lazy...

those tyres will do good enuff on that speed...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #1708
kmax
Kruzer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
hy everyone
I'm new on advrider, owner of a 97' TDM 4tx .
would like to ask if somebody did this or knows that it's recomanded or not to install a 120/80-18 Miichelin Sirac Rear tyre , as front tyre on TDM ( as we know , originally fits 110/80-18).
That 10 mm from110-120 it doesn't bother me very much , but the thing that it was made as rear tyre and it's gonna be used as a front tyre .....

Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack
I experimented with this (that is, fitting a 120/80-18 rear to the front, instead of the OEM 110/80-18) on my '96 TDM 4TX. As to whether it is a recommended change, I won't comment.
IMO, it didn't work. It completely changed the dynamics of the bike for the worse. Made the bike real hard to tip in to corners, and then made it run wide on exit. I persevered for about 200 kms, but it was awful. I suspect the extra weight in the tyre may have caused this, but I am not certain. I returned to the 110/80-18 (a Sirac rear) size on the front, the handling returned to normal, and I was happiness-filled.
i'm using Sirac 120 as front (as advised by AJ) and i dont find any issue with cornering..
but more bumpy on highway cruise about 170kmh

some pics taken by fellow rider.

oops.. almost crossing white line
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #1709
herrPezzel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hey,
are there any handguards that fit on a '93 TDM except the expensive BMW-things?
Thanks for infos

Red Yamaha TDM 850 3VD '93
herrPezzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #1710
Cavaleru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrPezzel
Hey,
are there any handguards that fit on a '93 TDM except the expensive BMW-things?
Thanks for infos
yes u can buy Acerbis from louis.de or use polisport http://www.polisport.com/produtos.ph...835&ID_ORG=835

but the polisport ( wich I use ) u have to drill a bigger wole in the end of the handguard and cut a bit from the grips and rubber suport.

I'm very pleased with them they do great their job with out cracking
Cavaleru is offline   Reply With Quote