Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #1831
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,504

21/5/2010: Latest Masterbrewer Medical update .......... Life's never simple ................. I'm f#*ked for 3 months min.

Loose bone fragments floating around the thumb plus separated & coiled ulnar collateral ligament.

Full-on operation Friday 28th with possible tendon transplant from elsewhere for added support .................... first operation in 50 years though ................. think positive, now that's not too bad

Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #1832
hladek
Wanderer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer

21/5/2010: Latest Masterbrewer Medical update .......... Life's never simple ................. I'm f#*ked for 3 months min.

Loose bone fragments floating around the thumb plus separated & coiled ulnar collateral ligament.

Full-on operation Friday 28th with possible tendon transplant from elsewhere for added support .................... first operation in 50 years though ................. think positive, now that's not too bad

Photo reports:
Switzerland 2008

TDM 900 - 2005
hladek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #1833
GreeKKTiNoS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by hladek
Dont give up MB ! Wish you fast recovery
GreeKKTiNoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #1834
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by hladek
Dont give up MB !
Never any chance of that, you can obviously tell I'm just frustrated I can't do this to make me feel better only this

Thanks for all your well wishes

Cheers
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #1835
Buzzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Sorry to hear that MB. I always follow your rides and they inspire me.

All the best.

Cheers Steve
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #1836
nav18tor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Had a couple of XTZ750 Super Tenere's, lots of single cylinder stuff, brought an 08 model Buell Ulysses and changed it for a Yamaha FZ1-S, should have kept the Cagiva Navigator (TL1000 engine in a Gran Canyon frame) and I still haven't found my "keeper"

Now I want to try a 96-2001 model TDM because I always wanted one and I like the look (better than the 900) but.....

Am I going to find an 850 a little "breathless" and short of grunt?

Is the handling in the same league as the Buell?

What faults should I be aware of ?

Got one for sale in the UK?
nav18tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #1837
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 726
Wanna trade seats?

I have a 92 TDM850 with a Corbin seat, great shape, no tears, rips, cracks, scuffs. I'm looking to trade for a stock seat in equally good condition. It uses the stock locking mechanism, so we'd each need to remove our locks before sending the seat to keep the keying right.

Looking for a straight-up trade, each pay our own shipping.

Here's picture of my bike with the Corbin, many more on my website on the SLC to Orlando ride report.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #1838
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Unifilter on TDM900

Anyone here fitted a Unifilter oiled foam filter to their TDM?

The Unifilter web site doesn't specify one for the TDM, but the reports for the Yamaha Australia Trail Desert Master bike said it used a Unifilter. I'm thinking a filter from another bike possibly fits...

I'm currently running a K&N, but since I ride almost exclusively on dusty dirt roads, I'm not happy with it's filtering ability. I also want to stick with a washable filter in case I need an emergency filter clean halfway between Mildura and Broome one day....

(NB Just posted a similar thread in Carpe TDM).
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #1839
Motobloke
- occasional ADVer -

Oddometer: 24
TDM for first bike - get real about it... 200+ kilograms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jark
Hey guys! I'm not even in the bike scene but I saw one of these TDMs for sale locally, and after reading some stuff on them it deff caught my eye. I have a couple questions though. I'm 21, never ridden a motorcycle before, .......snip...........
....whether or not this bike is just too powerful for someone with no experience. (and I intend on taking the safety course)
Jark, I'd only say 'okay' to a large twin cylinder bike for a newby if 95% of your riding is on highways at 100kph/60mph speeds or above, AND you can manouver it confidently on rough, slippery ground at zero speed (parking or picking your way through a boulder-strewn creek bed). Otherwise, get something like an ER6n, Transalp or even a 400 four that you can fit dual-purpose tyres to (rim width and size important here) if you want to explore via dirt roads and learn how to drop and then pick up a bike without too many financial tears.

Research the cost of typical parking or riding accident on a TDM - it's not pretty, unless you obtain good insurance for yourself/your income AND your bike. ALSO fit about $500 worth of hand lever, engine and radiator protection as well. Dropping bikes DOES happen, unless your scared to death of riding and never really want to learn the real fun skills.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #1840
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobloke
Jark, I'd only say 'okay' to a large twin cylinder bike for a newby if 95% of your riding is on highways at 100kph/60mph speeds or above, AND you can manouver it confidently on rough, slippery ground at zero speed (parking or picking your way through a boulder-strewn creek bed). Otherwise, get something like an ER6n, Transalp or even a 400 four that you can fit dual-purpose tyres to (rim width and size important here) if you want to explore via dirt roads and learn how to drop and then pick up a bike without too many financial tears.

Research the cost of typical parking or riding accident on a TDM - it's not pretty, unless you obtain good insurance for yourself/your income AND your bike. ALSO fit about $500 worth of hand lever, engine and radiator protection as well. Dropping bikes DOES happen, unless your scared to death of riding and never really want to learn the real fun skills.
+1

A lighter bike will be much easier and safer to learn on. The TDM is a nicely balanced bike, but you can't get away from the fact it weighs around 220kg wet, and if you find yourself in a tricky situation this weight will usually be working against you as you try to avoid it.

Also, while they certainly aren't the most powerful bike out there, 86hp will still get you going pretty quick fairly easily. That would be why the TDM isn't LAMS (learner) approved in Australia. From the VicROads website
"The LAMS list includes moderately powered models with an engine capacity up to and including 660cc which do not exceed a power-to-weight ratio of 150 kilowatts per tonne"

That power to weight equates to about 44hp for a 220kg bike. Now I know your not in Aust, but it's an indication of what might be suitable for a learner.

Having said all that, you won't find a more reliable, easy to ride, enjoyable, low maintenance bike for this money for riding long distance and dirt roads (wee-strom is the only bike that comes close IMO). I'd recommend spending a year on a smaller bike then getting a TDM. When you wear the TDM out (it could take a while), get another one.....
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #1841
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Engine Issues

Hey Guys, I have been having a heck of a time with my bike lately. Looking for a little input just to make sure I am on the right track.

Basically here is how it goes. Bike wont start, I do a quick carb cleaning (pull of the tank and float bowls and spray them out) and then it runs (runs great no issues). Then craps out in a couple weeks of short riding/sitting.

I have done this 4 times now

1st time - cleaned carbs, new fuel filter

-runs

2nd time - cleaned carbs, new plugs

-runs

3rd time - cleaned carbs, new battery, new fuel filter

-runs

This time (currently apart) - Checked plugs and they are shot (after 3 months???? shorts to the side of the electrode), Decided after inspecting the tank that it needs to be re-kreemed (purchased, enroute), Cleaned the carbs.

Just want to make sure you guys would agree that kreem peeling of the inside of the tank could cause the not-strating problem and may have cause both plugs to fail and re-kreeming (after peeling off the current kreem lining) and replacing plugs will fix the problems.

Extra note: I posted about backfiring on decel previously but after tighetining up the gasket between the carbs and cylinders the problem seems to has ceased, I assumed, as you guys suggested it was due to an air leak.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #1842
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243
Hey Guys, I have been having a heck of a time with my bike lately. Looking for a little input just to make sure I am on the right track.

Basically here is how it goes. Bike wont start, I do a quick carb cleaning (pull of the tank and float bowls and spray them out) and then it runs (runs great no issues). Then craps out in a couple weeks of short riding/sitting.

I have done this 4 times now

1st time - cleaned carbs, new fuel filter

-runs

2nd time - cleaned carbs, new plugs

-runs

3rd time - cleaned carbs, new battery, new fuel filter

-runs

This time (currently apart) - Checked plugs and they are shot (after 3 months???? shorts to the side of the electrode), Decided after inspecting the tank that it needs to be re-kreemed (purchased, enroute), Cleaned the carbs.

Just want to make sure you guys would agree that kreem peeling of the inside of the tank could cause the not-strating problem and may have cause both plugs to fail and re-kreeming (after peeling off the current kreem lining) and replacing plugs will fix the problems.

Extra note: I posted about backfiring on decel previously but after tighetining up the gasket between the carbs and cylinders the problem seems to has ceased, I assumed, as you guys suggested it was due to an air leak.
Fire it up with the tank off and spray some carb cleaner around the boots, and see if the idle changes. Though you tightened them, I would not be surprised if they are cracked.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #1843
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243
It doesn't take long for the ethanol-blended gas these days to varnish up and cause carb problems. I'd suggest a real carb cleaning, (remove and disassemble, soak the jets in Seafoam, the bodies in Pineso, then blow everything out real good before re-assemblyl). If the tank's rusty, clean it real good and line it with your coating of choice, (be sure to follow the instructions to a tee).

After you put it back together use a good inline fuel filter. And don't let your bike sit up for more than a week or two without using a fuel stabilizer. I've been using Seafoam in my bikes for the last several years and haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #1844
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
I'd also be looking at plug leads. They may also be contributing to your troubles. If you give each plug hole a shot of compressed air with the leads out and the plugs still in and a cloud of white looking powder comes out thats one sign of leaking insulator at the plug. Older bike and crap fuel could have a bit of shit washing round the tank and messing up your day too.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #1845
KiwiKev
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hadent hamt TDM long... and deceid to go for a long ride.
pull in the gas station,, and fulled it up.
had to do a stop to wait for the traficc..and down i went.straight over on the left side. broke my foot in three places.
has anyone else found the TDM top heavy,, when full of juice...?

or did i just have a blonde day.?
KiwiKev is offline   Reply With Quote