Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #1981
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo
When you guys say clean to carb do you mean a full tear down or running something like seafoam through the tank?
My truck mechanic says using Chevron with techron or what ever the heck it is actually helps with keeping carbs clean, I thought it was a scam on Chevrons part,he says its good stuff. Ive been scoping out a 93 TDM near here for sale,it has 34,000 miles on it and looks good. I wonder how many miles one of these pups goes before its teats up?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #1982
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,417
I can only report on mine. 1992 with 67,000 miles, used no oil. Valve adjustments every 26,000 miles or twice in my case. The carbs can get finikeye. Go Factory pro emulsion tubes and you only have to deal with them every 25,000 miles. An Ebay early 90 R6 electric fuel pump will save you a lot of grief. Rock solid bike, wish I had mine back.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 09:26 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #1983
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo
When you guys say clean to carb do you mean a full tear down or running something like seafoam through the tank?
It means take them apart and clean them, dont need to replace parts, just clean everything. At a minimum make sure the jets and float bowl are clean.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #1984
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I can only report on mine. 1992 with 67,000 miles, used no oil. Valve adjustments every 26,000 miles or twice in my case. The carbs can get finikeye. Go motion pro emulsion tubes and you only have to deal with them every 25,000 miles. An Ebay early 90 R6 electric fuel pump will save you a lot of grief. Rock solid bike, wish I had mine back.
I have had mine (92, 36000) for about two years now and I have not done any valve adjustments. I know it varies from bike to bike how important they are and how quickly they get out of whack, so what is this bike notorious for with valves?
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #1985
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243
I have had mine (92, 36000) for about two years now and I have not done any valve adjustments. I know it varies from bike to bike how important they are and how quickly they get out of whack, so what is this bike notorious for with valves?
26,000 miles between checks is quite a while for a motorcycle. Yours are overdue for a check if not ever done or you don't know. They will tighten up and if they do, burn an exhaust valve. I went way past the due date and I had 1 that had no clearance, or at least so small that a .002 gauge would not fit, but no damage done. Nothing notorious about the valves at all, except labor intensive if you need to change some shims. 10 valves and shim under bucket. About 5 hours to do it. To check, not so bad, but the side covers, fuel tank comes off and need to drop the radiator.

edit: the emulsion tubes are from factory pro. Same as stock but with nickle plating and last longer for about the same price. You are getting around 50 mpg right? if not the stockers are probably ovaling out.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 09:35 PM
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #1986
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
I looking for a set of stock muffers and/or some aftermarket but not to laud...

I just rode my TDM all the way to san francisco so I can sell it but the pipes are totally blown up (Yes It happen in the trip)

Thanks for the help, I need it pretty bad, pretty fast

I also broke the speedo niddle and I'm wondering how to fix it, any suggestions will be more than welcome

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 10:41 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #1987
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn

I also broke the speedo needle and I'm wondering how to fix it, any suggestions will be more than welcome
Taking the instrument cluster apart end up proving really easy, after the fairing are off is only matter of a few minutes, two nuts and five screws to get the faces off the speedo, then crazy gluing the needle was just matter of seconds.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #1988
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Ricardo

I put on a set of dual viper cans, standard length round, without any extra baffles. In the saddle I can hear them now, but no one else that I have asked thought they were loud. I bought them from flyNcycle, for ~200 total. I mated them to an old Kerker mid pipe. Sandy Spares in the UK has a similar set for about 300, if you don't have an extra mid pipe.
pdxthmper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #1989
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 107
Glad to hear you're having fun with the TDM, Thumper. Had a feeling you were the right guy for the bike.
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #1990
BluRoad
as in blue highways

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
edit: the emulsion tubes are from factory pro. Same as stock but with nickle plating and last longer for about the same price. You are getting around 50 mpg right? if not the stockers are probably ovaling out.
The infamous emulsion tubes; are these the tubes that the needle rises out of? Is this a dumb question?

Joe in WI
BluRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #1991
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Yes that is them. The older we get get the dumber we are. You youngins forget. http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prody85.html The needle runs in these tubse on there way to the main jet. Because of the angle of the dangle the tube wear out or at least become oval instead of round and the bike runs rich. Factory pro tubes will prolong the need to change them out. I had their kit and found that they were hard to tune and the hard needles ovaled out the jets quickly. Their tubes are great with the stock needles and lasted a long time, easy to tune and gave greate midrange.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #1992
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 521
Fellow TDMers I hope you can help me. I'm looking at adding an accessory plug to my 1996 TDM 859 MkII (4TX model).

Originally I planned to hard wire it to the battery terminals (with a fuse on the positive side).

But I read on another forum that there are remote leads beneath the seat that I can access (saves pulling the battery). Can I add an accessory plug to these? If I do, can I plug a battery conditioner into this plug to keep the battery topped up when I am unable to ride the bike.

Be interested to know how this might all work out.

Are these the remote elads?

Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #1993
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendernz
Fellow TDMers I hope you can help me. I'm looking at adding an accessory plug to my 1996 TDM 859 MkII (4TX model).

Originally I planned to hard wire it to the battery terminals (with a fuse on the positive side).

But I read on another forum that there are remote leads beneath the seat that I can access (saves pulling the battery). Can I add an accessory plug to these? If I do, can I plug a battery conditioner into this plug to keep the battery topped up when I am unable to ride the bike.

Be interested to know how this might all work out.

Are these the remote elads?

That is your starter solenoid. The cable with the red cover comes directly from the battery, the other one goes to the starter. You can pull power from the cable that goes to the battery, can also hook a charger up there. Any bolt in that area that goes to the frame will work for a ground. That's how I wired my charger.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #1994
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRoad
The infamous emulsion tubes; are these the tubes that the needle rises out of? Is this a dumb question?

Joe in WI
Joe,

BTW your TDM has the Factory Pro emulsion tubes in it!

-steve
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #1995
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,065
3VD question?

Has anybody ever found a way around buying a whole new gas cap assembly in order to replace the lousy rubber gasket seal?

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote