Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #2551
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,519
"Zig Zagging the Sth Aussie Tothill Ranges along a Dotted Line"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer
I'm was finally hoping to experience the "vibes" of the historic Port Henry Arms Hotel where it was reported.....

" the usual drunken mob of bullockies also known as "early adventure riders" were playing cards, drinking, swearing, fighting. So little were they trusted, that the landlord or landlady held the nobbler in one hand while they take money with the other! ... So much is the publican in the hands of these ruffians that they insist upon his rising at any hour of the night and satisfying their insatiable desire for drink. They were known, as a notoriously hard living, hard drinking and hard wenching group. They cussed, drank and womanised and in that order"

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......................................... sounds like another annual event I know.

I'm off now to find some dotted lines on a track in real life.

Well, when we started out in unusually pouring rain for a summer ride

............................................... I couldn't find one damn Dot in all the mud, clay & slush on any tracks

The closest we got to the Tothill Ranges was the Totness Pub

Ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761869

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #2552
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Anyone have a stock airfilter box for a early 90s TDM 850 they want to sell? I have K&Ns right now and I am not a big fan.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #2553
xr250rtodd
ChickenMcNasty

Oddometer: 62
check out my stuff for sale......it all needs to go to help fund the XTZ 750 Tenere I purchased!
xr250rtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #2554
shadowjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I'm recently back from a tour of the lower NI, during which it became obvious that I had, over time and 60k kms, crushed the life from the seat foam. What to do, what to do...
What to do was to head to an upholsterer (who is also a biker and sympathetic to the cause) for a design consultation (well, a 5 minute conversation in his driveway). I dropped the bike off today, told him to use foam suitable for my weight, add 30 mm to the seat height, and create a new, non-slip cover. And the result (seemed very nice on the ride home, but is untested in extended use):

The upholsterer told me this was the second MKII in a fortnight he had worked on. Unusual, given that TDM's are hen's tooth material in these parts.
The test will come this weekend, when I participate in the TT2000.
Any body else done this to their seat?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #2555
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Yoh D! Fancy you posting your sminky new cheek cossiter just as the sensation comes back into my own cheeks after our trip to Paeroa. Looks like a nice job. I will drop you a line re getting my own done at some point / when you give us a report.....
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #2556
acegalaxi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello from a TDM rider, Bunbury Western Australia

Hello ADV, owned my 2009 TDM 900 for over a year now (bought it as shop demo in 2011) and loooooooooooooooove it (of course). I dont see too many of them around and while discussing bikes on the net is one thing, I am more interested in gathering with TDM riders from across Western Australia for social rides and fun.

If anyone is interested, please hit me up. I would be over the moon to set up some group rides full of TDM goodness.

Here is my bike the day I got her:

Here she is now:

In the meantime thanks for having me along and I hope to contribute more to ADV.

Ace.

acegalaxi screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 06:32 PM Reason: Pics added
acegalaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #2557
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegalaxi View Post
Hello ADV, owned my 2009 TDM 900 for over a year now (bought it as shop demo in 2011) and loooooooooooooooove it (of course). I dont see too many of them around and while discussing bikes on the net is one thing, I am more interested in gathering with TDM riders from across Western Australia for social rides and fun.

If anyone is interested, please hit me up. I would be over the moon to set up some group rides full of TDM goodness.

Here is my bike the day I got her:

Here she is now:

In the meantime thanks for having me along and I hope to contribute more to ADV.

Ace.
Go the Beowulf's. Can I suggest the flush mount front flashers to you also. And a cut down screen, perfect for WA. Mine is a 09 as well. My family come from that part of the West. If you start packing in the next few days you can easy make it over for the 2nd TDUT (thunder down under tour) for TDM's. Its at Berridale in southern NSW over the first weekend in March. The 1st was in 2010 and held at Omeo in Victoria. Since its unlikey you will make it over we could have you as an "honorary attendee" or something, dont know, we will discuss it and be thinking of you over the rally.
Yes, they are a fabulous bike. Of course you know of carpe-tdm.net dont you?------
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #2558
acegalaxi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Mate, I've tinkered with carpe.tdm but didnt find what I wanted, this ADV site is new to me so thought I would try here. I'm happy to ride with all my buddies on a smorgasbord on bikes, but once in a while I reckon it would be awesome for TDM's to rumble together through Perth, Freo etc.

I have not seen or heard of the flush mount indicators you mention - I shall research. And yes the Beowulfs sound like nothing else on this planet! From my mum's hometown in the UK too - Halifax.

You know of anyone over this way with a TDM? Either on this site or otherwise. I need to start somewhere :-)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #2559
Buzzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thatís a beautiful bike..... Congratulations. After Graemeís advice I got the Beowulfs and love them. Iím also from the West. Kellerberrin and Esperance but Queensland now. Good luck with your get together. I think the boys in the East have a copy of my roster. I go back to work Tuesday.... so no TDUT for me again. Maybe next year.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #2560
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegalaxi View Post
Hi Mate, I've tinkered with carpe.tdm but didnt find what I wanted, this ADV site is new to me so thought I would try here. I'm happy to ride with all my buddies on a smorgasbord on bikes, but once in a while I reckon it would be awesome for TDM's to rumble together through Perth, Freo etc.

I have not seen or heard of the flush mount indicators you mention - I shall research. And yes the Beowulfs sound like nothing else on this planet! From my mum's hometown in the UK too - Halifax.

You know of anyone over this way with a TDM? Either on this site or otherwise. I need to start somewhere :-)
Try ebay UK
item number 270795864697
They are a lot cheaper than when I bought mine. The standard flasher can will accommodate led's.
http://www.swiftscreek.net/motorbikes/eagle.htm
will show them on mine. BYW, couldnt wait to get the screen off as soon as weather got a little warmer.
Will ask on carpe about WA riders, sure there is someone-----the sites down again though-----hmmm, a TDUT in WA!!!
cheers Graeme
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #2561
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Thatís a beautiful bike..... Congratulations. After Graemeís advice I got the Beowulfs and love them. Iím also from the West. Kellerberrin and Esperance but Queensland now. Good luck with your get together. I think the boys in the East have a copy of my roster. I go back to work Tuesday.... so no TDUT for me again. Maybe next year.
No the roster we have is from your time in Abu Dhabi.
Hi Buzzo. Collie, East Fremantle for me.
cheers Graeme
Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #2562
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
Gas tank removal

All,
Its time for my annual maintenance on the TDM.

I was wondering if any of you had a trick to remove the gas tank, without spilling a bunch of fuel.
All of my other bikes have the petcock attached to the tank, so turn off the fuel, disconnect the lines, and you are good.
This TDM, with the petcock attached to the bike, anyone have any tricks/hints?

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #2563
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,456
180 spin

Bit of a pain with the way it is set up, for sure. The first time, I pulled the whole set up out, but then no gas to fire the bike for run ups. So now I leave the petcock attached and lift and spin the tank 180 to rest where the seat was. I pop on a couple of bungies and use a block of wood under one side to ensure it won't slip off. I also use a piece of 2x4 under the side stand to straighten it up.

I am curious if you ever sorted the miss, stumble that was going on some time back?

Rich

AdvRich screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 05:49 PM Reason: Add pics
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #2564
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
Flipping the tank 180 degrees and putting it on the back of the bike, GREAT IDEA! Never thought about that. I setup a 5 gallon bucket with some blocks and rotated the tank 90 degrees, so the front of the tank sits on the bucket. It worked, but I am thinking flipping the tank is a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
I am curious if you ever sorted the miss, stumble that was going on some time back?
I apologize, yes I did figure it out. The carb diaphragms had some pin hole cracks in them, causing it to struggle when revving up. I ended up using plastidip on the diaphragms, put it back together, and got it running better.
The engine runs like crap in the cold, the diaphragms are cold and stiff, not much I can do about it. When the weather is warm, it runs great.
Also, I never did get the electrical to fire every spark, not sure if its my timing light or the bike, but it seems to be running fine.

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #2565
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,456
Thanks Richard,

Glad to hear your getting it sorted and it is running better. I'm sorting the carbs, ignition, and other stuff currently in prep for the riding season.