ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #2581
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
It's a Michellin Sirac. Think it might be a rear?

A couple of general Qs to the TDM community:
- muffler has been "derestricted". Sounds good, has a bit of character but not too loud. Crackles a bit on decelleration. I noticed it doesn't seem to adjust revs too well at idle when cold. My last bike bike was a BMW650 which was one press to start every time. Could the muffler mods be effecting the EFI?
- there is a little red light on the RHS fairing next to the dash. Doesn't work. Looks like an immobiliser that has been disconnected. Is that standard?
My '08 came with Staintune slip ons; I had to put the baffles back it because it was embarrassingly loud (a concept that seems to escape fat bastards on Harleys). It crackles a bit on the overrun too, but not to the extent that I feel that it's doing any damage. I just took it that that was what they do?

Mine has a red flashing immobiliser warning light in the dash panel; not a separate led on the fairing. Maybe the PO had spottys, heated grips of the like?
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2582
Trotski
Adventurer
 
Trotski's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jerangle NSW Australia
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
It's a Michellin Sirac. Think it might be a rear?

A couple of general Qs to the TDM community:
- muffler has been "derestricted". Sounds good, has a bit of character but not too loud. Crackles a bit on decelleration. I noticed it doesn't seem to adjust revs too well at idle when cold. My last bike bike was a BMW650 which was one press to start every time. Could the muffler mods be effecting the EFI?
- there is a little red light on the RHS fairing next to the dash. Doesn't work. Looks like an immobiliser that has been disconnected. Is that standard?
the later models have an factory immobiliser , I don't think the early 900's had one, early 900 also had an issue with the TPS that was replaced by a recall from Yamaha, go to a dealer with your VIN and they can tell you if it has been done, the TPS may be the prob.

BTW they look better in Black
__________________
2010 Yamaha TDM900


If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #2583
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 670
Nah, they look better in RED:
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #2584
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
omeoxlv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Omeo Region
Oddometer: 261
they really have no idea

Silver is the way to go-----


I have Beowulfs and a K&N. It should start and idle perfectly. Look at some spray lube on the choke slides on the outside of the throttle bodies maybe but the pipes arent the problem. The red light is a non factory thing.
cheers Graeme
PS and an undertail thingo with a tail tidy along with a bashplate and a cut down screen. Radiator screen in stainless and heated grips. Oh yeah and led flushmount indicators at front.
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #2585
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 728
Thanks for the tips guys, clearly Omeo is right though, silver is the go. Not sure I like the look of my touring screen, but by geeze it works!
Looks like I need to get to know my new beast. Will check out the choke slides. By the way, what is TPS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Silver is the way to go-----


I have Beowulfs and a K&N. It should start and idle perfectly. Look at some spray lube on the choke slides on the outside of the throttle bodies maybe but the pipes arent the problem. The red light is a non factory thing.
cheers Graeme
PS and an undertail thingo with a tail tidy along with a bashplate and a cut down screen. Radiator screen in stainless and heated grips. Oh yeah and led flushmount indicators at front.
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #2586
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
By the way, what is TPS??
Throttle Position Sensor; my guess is that it talks to the fuel injecion management
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #2587
Trotski
Adventurer
 
Trotski's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jerangle NSW Australia
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
Throttle Position Sensor; my guess is that it talks to the fuel injecion management
Correct
__________________
2010 Yamaha TDM900


If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #2588
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotski View Post
Correct
Thank god I got it right.
For a lawyer I make a pretty average mechanic, eh?
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #2589
Trotski
Adventurer
 
Trotski's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Jerangle NSW Australia
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
Thank god I got it right.
For a lawyer I make a pretty average mechanic, eh?
you really should not feed me straight lines, I am not always able to control myself.
__________________
2010 Yamaha TDM900


If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #2590
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotski View Post
you really should not feed me straight lines, I am not always able to control myself.
Just make sure you keep taking the tablets, as prescribed.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #2591
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 728
I think choke is the issue. Just started mine cold and it ticked away at 900rpm, slowly increasing to 1000rpm. Ddefinitely no auto choke at work??
Ill try the lube, hopefully that is enough as i just read a thread on Carpe talking about a faulty choke, and cost of about $1k to fix because the throttle body has to be replaced. Not to much of a problem now, but I'll need to sort it before winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
I believe the idle speed to be 1750 rpm when on choke so depending on where yours is at it may explain it?

No lights in my fairing (apart from the ones I've added)

Mine starts first time and idles smoothly but I have the standard silencers "unfettered" .....I like quiet :)
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #2592
AzzA68
Tosser
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I think choke is the issue. Just started mine cold and it ticked away at 900rpm, slowly increasing to 1000rpm. Ddefinitely no auto choke at work??
Ill try the lube, hopefully that is enough as i just read a thread on Carpe talking about a faulty choke, and cost of about $1k to fix because the throttle body has to be replaced. Not to much of a problem now, but I'll need to sort it before winter.
Have a look at JBX's site, it's got the skinny on both causes and cures for cold idle issues.

You'll find them both in the "Engine" menu, top centre of screen.

PS Silver IS best.
AzzA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #2593
masterbrewer
TDMster
 
masterbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 2,538
Masterbrewer Endeavours To Reach The Sth Aussie Tothill Ranges



Finally two TDM's on a ride

In the report there's some great video action of the types of tracks we have to endure

Just brilliant "TDM riding country"



Zig Zagging the South Aussie Tothill Ranges the Sequel

Enjoy!

Cheers

masterbrewer screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 05:17 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #2594
masterbrewer
TDMster
 
masterbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 2,538


"Zig Zagging the Sth Aussie Tothill Ranges along a Dotted Line" the Sequel's Sequel




masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #2595
Muddler
Studly Adventurer
 
Muddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dardanup, Western Australia
Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzA68 View Post
Have a look at JBX's site, it's got the skinny on both causes and cures for cold idle issues.

You'll find them both in the "Engine" menu, top centre of screen.

PS Silver IS best.
JBX site is great. Managed to pull the cold start mechanism out without moving the radiator. Sure enough, seized pin. Now I know why my bike had a cruise control fitted .... All working fine now.
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014