Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #2656
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
I like the last one best. It's reminds me of another one "why do dogs lick their balls?" .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backonthebike View Post
I've swiped these from the Australian RoadRider magazine website. They were posted by the editor Peter "The Bear" Theoming (who is a top bloke cos he lovers Coopers ales). My favorite is 3rd from the bottom.

• Saddlebags can never hold everything you want, but they CAN hold everything you need.
  • Home is where your bike sits still long enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground.
  • The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
  • Never mistake horsepower for staying power.
  • If you don't ride in the rain - you don't ride.
  • A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
  • Young riders pick a destination and go. . . Old riders pick a direction and go.
  • A good mechanic will let you watch without charging you for it.
  • Sometimes the fastest way to get there is to stop for the night.
  • Winter is Nature's way of telling you to polish your bike.
  • Well-trained reflexes are quicker than luck.
  • The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.
  • A friend is someone who'll get out of bed at 2 am to drive his pickup to the middle of nowhere.
  • Never be ashamed to unlearn an old habit
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
  • If you ride like there's no tomorrow - there won't be.
  • Gray-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck
  • No matter what marque you ride, it's all the same wind.
  • Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #2657
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I like the last one best. It's reminds me of another one "why do dogs lick their balls?" .....
cause they can!
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #2658
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
TDM trouble

Fellow TDM'ers
I had a problem with my 1992 TDM 850 today, the needle fell off the speedo!

Anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Any suggestions on fixing it?

I am debating on just getting another speedo off of Ebay, but wanted to ask everyone else to see if they have taken the speedo apart before.

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #2659
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
Fellow TDM'ers
I had a problem with my 1992 TDM 850 today, the needle fell off the speedo!

Anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Any suggestions on fixing it?

I am debating on just getting another speedo off of Ebay, but wanted to ask everyone else to see if they have taken the speedo apart before.
Mine did that about 10k miles ago. I just kept riding
Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #2660
richard.bessey
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Mine did that about 10k miles ago. I just kept riding
Did your speedo bounce also? Mine has been since I got it. I figured the speedo cable needed lubed, I just haven't gotten around to putting some oil down the cable

1994 XT 350 - The dirt machine
1992 TDM 850 - The street ride
1988 TW 200 - Wifes Ride
richard.bessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #2661
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Pretty common on the TDM. You can open the speedo up and glue the needle back on.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #2662
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 336
Anyone need a seat?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post18732724
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #2663
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bessey View Post
Did your speedo bounce also? Mine has been since I got it. I figured the speedo cable needed lubed, I just haven't gotten around to putting some oil down the cable
Not sure that will fix it. Mine did the crazy bouncing thing and I just replaced the speedo-cable and it is pretty much exactly the same as before. If you find a fix let me know, I am debating buying a new speedometer on ebay as well.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #2664
Wilky

Oddometer: 22
Speedo problems

You may have seen it already but on page 167 I posted my solution to a broken speedometer.

So far have put about 600 miles on with the new dash with good results. I like the power supply and glove box for the chargers (phone, intercoms, Garmin)

My tachometer surges plus or minus 500 rpms and I have been told that is because it is too sensitive and I need to wrap some electrical tape around the plug wire under the Vapor tach wire to weaken the strength of the pulse. Haven't been motivated enough or bored enough to try this yet.

There are more sophisticated computers with built in GPS but they cost a lot more.

On another subject: has anyone changed their gear ratio for better trail-ability? What did you change to? I was thinking if the stock is 16 - 43 I should consider 15 - 48 which would lower the top speed by about 20 mph but should allow me to drive a steady 6-8 mph on trails without surging. Not sure if this would cause the bike to rev too high at 70 mph.

Cheers,
Wilky
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #2665
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
I went 1 tooth down on the front on my MKII 8fiddly. At 60 mph / 100kmh the revs have lifted to 4000 rpm in 5th, just where the torque starts nicely. On the road it's the difference between having to change down or just opening the throttle. I did a lot of tight gravel & butt clenchingly slippy clay trails on Sunday, following my n00b gf. Her confidence is not the greatest on the tracks yet so, it was slooooow. The TDM was happy at idle in first, just a whiff of throttle when required.

I have virtually open pipes on mine & this improves breathing a lot, a big bonus at low revs, it stays smooth on the throttle, no jerking.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #2666
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Anyone got Pivot Pegs on their < 07 on model TDM's?
I've a code PP26MK3 as a possible fit.
Anyone know different?
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #2667
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateman View Post
Anyone got Pivot Pegs on their < 07 on model TDM's?
I've a code PP26MK3 as a possible fit.
Anyone know different?
I would be very interested to find out if anybody has changed the footrests on their MK II's. I've looked at BMW & KTM pegs with the rubber inserts but I'm already mortgaged to the hilt.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #2668
Daemon42
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Speedo needle on my '92 just snapped off as well, and yes it the needle bounces, sometimes wildly after
50 or so miles of riding. One thing I notice if if it's bouncing and I press down really hard on the speedometer,
it stops. Let go, it bounces again. No idea how to interpret that.
For now I'm using my trusty SIGMA BC700 bicycle computer for accurate speedo and trip odometer, but
of course it's not lit at night. Have thought about mounting a little dimmable LED over it.

Anyway, I have an unrelated question. The top of the right side mirror mount (the expensive one integrated with the
brake reservoir) snapped off years ago, leaving only a few usable threads. Now those threads are almost gone.
I've thought about lubing up the left hand threads on the bottom of the mirror with Pam cooking spray or
similar, screwing it into the last remaining thread or two, and then building up all around the mount and threads
with J-B weld. Let it start to harden, and then unscrew the mirror and let it cure fully and then thread back in.
Basically build a whole new set of threads.

However, while researching that, I saw someone mention that there may be aftermarket
mirror mounts that clamp onto the bars just inside the stock bar mount.
Anyone seen such a thing on a TDM? There are universal mirror mounts out there for a 7/8" bar, but
they're cast too fat to fit in the small gap between the bar and brake reservoir.
I've seen some hand guards that mount in that space. Anyone seen mirrors that could share the
the hand guard mount?

Oh, and another question. I've got some old MEZ's (MEZ1 front, MEZ4 rear) and *love* the on-road feel, but
of course it's not much fun when I occasionally go off highway. I like the looks of the Metzler Tourance
and heard great things from BMW crowd but was disappointed to find it's only available in our rear size,
and not front. Anyone found a comparable 90/10ish tire for the front that works with the Tourance on the rear?

ian
Daemon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #2669
raoulserban
vrrummm

Oddometer: 97
hy! i own an Africa twin and i would like to sell it and buy me a Tdm 850 4tx.
what i am curios about is this: is the tdm as reliable as the africa twin? what are the known problems(the AT has the fuel pump for example)!
i want to go for the tdm cause it is a pitty to use the AT just on roads at real high revs and no high speed
raoulserban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #2670
andreiganea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulserban View Post
hy! i own an Africa twin and i would like to sell it and buy me a Tdm 850 4tx.
what i am curios about is this: is the tdm as reliable as the africa twin? what are the known problems(the AT has the fuel pump for example)!
i want to go for the tdm cause it is a pitty to use the AT just on roads at real high revs and no high speed
Dear Raul,

The tdm are very reliable. Thera are known case in which they heve exceded 200000 miles (adica 320000 de km). It will serve you well in the high end speed, but will lose a bit of it's offroad capabilities compared to the TA. It is heavier, front wheel is smaller.

A pain in the back will be the position of the battery, there have been some oil consumption problems,... wait... here is a complete list: http://jbx9.free.fr/tdm/index.php?page=ISSUES

2 - TDM850
2.1 - Gearbox
2.2 - Oil consumption
2.3 - Frame crack
2.4 - Gearbox sprocket
2.5 - Carburetor emulsion tubes / needles
2.6 - Valve seals
2.7 - Regulator-rectifier
2.8 - Battery removal

Dry tarmac! Asfalt uscat!
andreiganea is offline   Reply With Quote