Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #2688
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Hult View Post
Thanks AdvRich!
Nice to be here
I've been around here for a while but never signed up.

That explains a lot about the front rim.
it will bring me some job to choose Heidenau....
i've to raise the front fender and i must extend the brake hose
Maybe i just go for at Michelin Sirac (rear reversed) in front and Anakee 2 in rear when it's time to change.

Thanks again AdvRich for your time!

Sound good 10Hult. Yeah, the more gravel/dirt front tire choice really comes down to what is available to us in our locations.

Nice looking 9'er. I too dig the look of those black Trax boxes.
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #2689
rackam_le_rouge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Hult View Post
where did you buy the black wind deflectors, that is mounted on the bike?

/10hult

Hi /10hult

These extensions are specific to a model of TDM GT that is released in France.
I do not know if they can be buying in another country.

On the bubble and black wind deflectors, just makes you at any Yamaha dealer and order the following

ref YMFTDMGT0300 -> Bubble GT
ref YMFTDMGT0700 -> Left Hand Deflector
ref YMFTDMGT0800 -> Right Hand Deflector

rackam_le_rouge screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 09:42 PM
rackam_le_rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #2690
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Hey Hank,

Yeah, happy to help. Thanks.

Here is a pic of the needle spacer/washer sequence. It was a bit of detective work as the bike had dynojet needles in it when I first opened it up. I believe this is the correct sequence though. The large metal washer underneath the plastic spacer is a friction fit and holds the plastic piece snug to the clip. There's also (not in the pic) a small metal washer that I put on top of the clip to act as a smooth bearing surface for the plastic insert that fits in the spring.

Also, two of the four old shaft seals which stiff and slightly formed compared to the new ones which are pliable. Also, an original throttle plate screw and a new allen one for comparison.

Hope this helps and yeah, a post on how it comes along would be good.

Cheers,
Rich

I finally got the TDM out for a spin last night. It runs better, but the cold miss isn't entirely gone and it has a really annoying stumble at about 1/8 throttle. If you accelerate briskly you'll blow right past it and won't notice it but if you baby it open it just falls on its face for a very narrow band of throttle. Sigh....
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #2691
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,429
Hey Hank,

I just did a quick reread of our OP's. Sounds like you have an R6 fuel pump in place, checked the valves, replaced the choke circuits and air shut off valves, and synced the carbs so far.

As for the cold miss, I did not replace the HT leads ($$) and opted to wrap them and the caps (in case there was a hair line crack in the cap arcing within the well) with amalgamated tape which helped out with a miss during riding. It's a cheap fix and will definitely help in rain or dewy riding times. Also, be sure the coolant line isn't leaking near the thermostat as that will run down the right side plug well and cause a miss too. (Thanks Carpe)

You could also do a plug cap switch to see if the miss on the right switches to the left. The left cap on mine did have a fare bit of carbon build up on the internal resistor when I first took them apart. Another older twin cylinder bike I have had a cold single miss that would slowly cut in as it warmed up the plug cap. A quick cleaning sorted that too.

The stumble sounds like a lean condition either from still gummed pilot jets or too small or a vacuum leak that occurs during that phase. As mentioned before, the throttle shaft seals on mine did not leak at idle with a spray test, but just off idle it did on the left cylinder. The new seals fixed that and the sync held true at idle and part throttle. Before, the gauge suction would reverse in relation to one another at idle and off idle.

Hope that helps. Mine has been running great. I upped the pilot jet to 40's (IIRC) and that helped with the lean off idle stumble and gave it some nice grunt down low. Still a bit of burble at 2700, but I'll tweak that when I get some time to put the air/fuel gauge on. It's currently averaging 54mpg which is nice and does not hit reserve until after 200 miles which is what I was hoping for when I first bought it. Good times....

Hey, that Norge in your tag line should be some fun to ride.
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #2692
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Wobble

This is probably not a TDM specific issue, but the demographic is fairly experienced , so I'm hoping for some good advice
I have Anakee/Sirac tyres which were at 37/33psi befor I took off. A tad high, but it rode fine last time I took it out. This time I immediately noticed some vibes through the bars and if I put the throttle lock on and take my hands off the bars, they get a wobble up. Normally this does not happen.
The only thing that has changes is I noticed the subframe bolts were loose and tightened them up. I jacked up front and rear and can not detect any bearing play in wheels or steering.
Any suggestions of where else to look? Could tightening the subframe do it?
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #2693
shadowjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
This is probably not a TDM specific issue, but the demographic is fairly experienced , so I'm hoping for some good advice
I have Anakee/Sirac tyres which were at 37/33psi befor I took off. A tad high, but it rode fine last time I took it out. This time I immediately noticed some vibes through the bars and if I put the throttle lock on and take my hands off the bars, they get a wobble up. Normally this does not happen.
The only thing that has changes is I noticed the subframe bolts were loose and tightened them up. I jacked up front and rear and can not detect any bearing play in wheels or steering.
Any suggestions of where else to look? Could tightening the subframe do it?
I have run this tyre combo and had something similar happen.
How old are the Sirac's? It might pay to check the front tyre - mine would wear unevenly on the tread blocks, getting a "step" between one and the next, which would cause the bike to wobble around. Fixed by getting a new'un.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #2694
nav18tor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Another change

OK, so the Transalp only lasted 6 weeks, the Multistrada 1000DS for nearly a year, so I thought I would try a Yamaha TDM900

This one is a 2007 and is all mine

This is on the first day of ownership, the farkling begins now
nav18tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #2695
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
How old are the Sirac's? It might pay to check the front tyre - mine would wear unevenly on the tread blocks, getting a "step" between one and the next, which would cause the bike to wobble around. Fixed by getting a new'un.
Thanks Jack
The Siracs were on the bike when I bought it and still seem to have sufficient tread. I'll check more closely more uneven wear. I'm wondering if this was an underlying condition that was being dampened by my loose subframe. When I tightened it up, perhaps it then started to be noticeable?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #2696
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav18tor View Post
OK, so the Transalp only lasted 6 weeks, the Multistrada 1000DS for nearly a year, so I thought I would try a Yamaha TDM900

This one is a 2007 and is all mine

This is on the first day of ownership, the farkling begins now
nice!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #2697
TheMask
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Does anyone know if a low yoke from 1999 model it fits on 1996 model?
By the way, I need a bottom yoke for my bike.
Thanks guys!
TheMask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #2698
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Oh boy I so miss my TDM-900, had it for a few years. I had a K&N air filter fitted and slightly lowered the front forks, boy could it handle with Continental Road Attack tires fitted, superb....!!

I'd so love another one....
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #2699
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
Had a similar experience on a different bike running BT 45's, less than half worn & the bike would handle like a pig, horrendous tram lining & weaving like a carpet factory above 50mph.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #2700
kyotoviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hello TDM-riders. I finally found some time to make my bashplate mk3.
This is made to fit the 900 with a givi crashbar.

And I fitted some Heidenau K60, scout rear and normal front. Looking forward to test it out on a two week run up in north Japan from next Monday.
kyotoviking is offline   Reply With Quote