Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #2731
idalzate
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Present My TDM in colombian mountains....

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD
idalzate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #2732
rackam_le_rouge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
A new pic of my TDM in France ( Concarneau ---> https://maps.google.fr/maps?hl=fr&q=...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg )

rackam_le_rouge screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 09:40 PM
rackam_le_rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #2733
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackam_le_rouge View Post
A new pic of my TDM in France ( Concarneau ---> https://maps.google.fr/maps?hl=fr&q=...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg )
Looks good.
TAM
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #2734
OhCrap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
It's been a while since I posted, but I finally had some allroad tires mounted & felt it was time to report my findings here.

I went with a Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T on the front and a Pirelli Scorpion Trial on the back. I could only find an 'S' speedrating for the front and a 'W' in the back btw.

The rear seems to be a good one, although one has to question if these can really be called 'allroad'. It looks and handles a lot like my old BT0023 to be honest. The front however is dreadful. I mean, it handles well and seems to grip every time it needs to and goes everywhere I tell it to, but in a straight line it constantly feels like it's looking where it wants to go, and as soon as I lean over a bit to turn it feels like the tire is fighting me and wants to stay upright.

Is this normal behavior for an allroad tire, or did I end up with a rear tire after all and does it need to be mounted in the opposite direction perhaps? All I have to compare so far are my BT0023 so I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest.

Another big fail is that the MT90 is to high and touches the front fender

I'm riding without a fender at the moment (didn't want to risk shattering when a big rock gets caught in the deep thread) until I have some time to make a few brackets to raise the fender just a bit, if I decide to leave the tire on the bike that is. Did anyone else that mounted a front tire with an 80 wall have to do this too?

The front did handle like a dream in wet sand and muddy grass btw, I've yet to try some wet tarmac.

edit: Crap. I just did a search and it seems the MT90 A/T only comes in 21" as a front tire, so I guess I did end up with a rear and it should have been mounted in reverse direction. Does anyone know if I can just take out the wheel and flip it over or that I need to have the tire removed and put on again to reverse the direction?

OhCrap screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:36 AM
OhCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #2735
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCrap View Post
It's been a while since I posted, but I finally had some allroad tires mounted & felt it was time to report my findings here.

I went with a Pirelli MT90 Scorpion A/T on the front and a Pirelli Scorpion Trial on the back. I could only find an 'S' speedrating for the front and a 'W' in the back btw.

The rear seems to be a good one, although one has to question if these can really be called 'allroad'. It looks and handles a lot like my old BT0023 to be honest. The front however is dreadful. I mean, it handles well and seems to grip every time it needs to and goes everywhere I tell it to, but in a straight line it constantly feels like it's looking where it wants to go, and as soon as I lean over a bit to turn it feels like the tire is fighting me and wants to stay upright.

Is this normal behavior for an allroad tire, or did I end up with a rear tire after all and does it need to be mounted in the opposite direction perhaps? All I have to compare so far are my BT0023 so I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest.

Another big fail is that the MT90 is to high and touches the front fender

I'm riding without a fender at the moment (didn't want to risk shattering when a big rock gets caught in the deep thread) until I have some time to make a few brackets to raise the fender just a bit, if I decide to leave the tire on the bike that is. Did anyone else that mounted a front tire with an 80 wall have to do this too?

The front did handle like a dream in wet sand and muddy grass btw, I've yet to try some wet tarmac.

edit: Crap. I just did a search and it seems the MT90 A/T only comes in 21" as a front tire, so I guess I did end up with a rear and it should have been mounted in reverse direction. Does anyone know if I can just take out the wheel and flip it over or that I need to have the tire removed and put on again to reverse the direction?
You would have to reverse the tire.

I'm running an MT90 front on my MKII, 110 - 80 / 18. No issues with clearance. Or grip. It was a little disconcerting at first coming from a BT 021, slower turn in, well, barge like in comparison & feeling the blocks creep turning at lower speeds. I use a skerrick more counter steering on the road for snappier turn. The rear is a Shinko 705 so I'm not going to blame the Pirelli, the tires have slightly different profiles so compromise is inevitable.
I'm very impressed with the grip wet & dry.I practice motogymkhana & my braking technique on a regular basis & can happily say it sticks like glue. Very secure on gravel too.

No chicken strips.........
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #2736
OhCrap
Adventurer

Ok, it's back to the bike shop tomorrow then, thank you. They better not charge me to have it reversed though, the amateurs. I have a feeling I might like this tire a lot better once it rotates in the other direction

I have a 120-80-18 btw. It only touches the fender on the rear edge of the fender (the lowest point of the fender when it's mounted) and if I press it together a bit by the side edges of the fender then the tire clears perfectly by about 5mm. I think that if I'll just try to shape a little stainless steel clamp so it'll clip on there and keep it in slightly rounder shape I may not even have to raise the fender at all.

I'll report back as soon as I've tried some things
Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #2737
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCrap View Post
Ok, it's back to the bike shop tomorrow then, thank you. They better not charge me to have it reversed though, the amateurs. I have a feeling I might like this tire a lot better once it rotates in the other direction

I have a 120-80-18 btw. It only touches the fender on the rear edge of the fender (the lowest point of the fender when it's mounted) and if I press it together a bit by the side edges of the fender then the tire clears perfectly by about 5mm. I think that if I'll just try to shape a little stainless steel clamp so it'll clip on there and keep it in slightly rounder shape I may not even have to raise the fender at all.

I'll report back as soon as I've tried some things
They are an "all road" tire, jack of all trades but master of none. Having said that I ride gnarly gravel roads & delightfully twistie tarmac, neither of which see me get much over 120 kmh & the tire is faultless. They have a high silica component for wet grip & I was astonished at how hard the tire bit doing emergency stops in the rain.
But. Tires are subjective, I love BT 021's but a lot of riders dislike them, I've had the pegs down in the rain with them but others say they are skittish.
Hope you get things sorted & get your bike dirty!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #2738
OhCrap
Adventurer

I'm happy to report the MT 90 A/T is a much better ride now it's turning in the right (wrong?) direction

It vibrates a bit more in the handlebars at certain speeds and it moves a bit more when turning in a corner compared to the BT's, but nothing too annoying or scary and it never feels unsafe or anything. I think we'll get along just fine, this MT and I

I love the BT's too btw. A lot of the dutch TDM riders think it's a bit too stiff and prefer the Scorpion MP3 over the BT0023 (successor of the 0021) but I favor it myself. Another plus for me is that they are very forgiving when you're as lazy as I am with checking the tire pressure, I wonder how that'll go with my new setup

I've also found some cheap and easy to modify brackets to raise the front fender a bit so I'll probably go that route. I saw some pictures of others who had done that with their 900's when browsing to this thread again last night and I really liked the look of it.

I'll shoot some pics of the front and back once I've get it done.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #2739
GreeKKTiNoS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
http://youtu.be/sS6e9kY8U0I

GreeKKTiNoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #2740
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Something worth a try with an all roads tyre.

I had added wider bars while my bike was still on the standard Tyre and noticed the greater leverage made the bike react in a turn faster. To fast for my liking. Once I put the Avons on things cam back to normal somewhat but road input was increased back up the bike and also vibes . I turned up my own heavier bar end weights about half again as heavy as the stick ones and this gave me the smooth feel of the original bike in stock trim.

So maybe a play with heavier bar end weights might help.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #2741
OhCrap
Adventurer

Cool video Tinos, it even has my bike's twin in there! Complete with the right color Bagster and everything. Not sure why that guy was getting naked for at the end though

My bike came with wider and straighter off-road handle bars Gateman. Luckily, because I really dislike the angle of the original handle bars on the TDM. I'm a fairly small bloke so I raised the handle bars slightly and made them come a little backwards too which made the riding position extremely comfortable for me. I've been having some back problems the last few years, but somehow that never bothers me when riding. I get sore and tired when driving a cage much quicker strange enough.

But I should probably tighten up the front end first before playing with anything else. I have a 2003 with just over 30.000km on it now and it still has the original factory oil in the the front end, meaning it has never been changed. It's a bit spongy up there right now. I want to upgrade to Hyperpro springs but I just got new tires, chain and sprockets, break-pads, fresh fluids, filters and Iridium spark plugs, I gotta spread things out a little for budgetary reasons unfortunately.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #2742
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Investing in the bits which make the tires work betterer is paramount. Power is nothing without control. I';m in the same boat, tired & saggy front & back.
Bit like a mid 40's girlfriend and the same rules apply. If you got a good one, invest. Good ones are very hard to replace.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #2743
OhCrap
Adventurer

It's not that bad yet on mine luckily, mr. Krumpet. Many riders wouldn't even notice it yet probably. But no cash means no parts, so it'll just have to wait a little longer I'm afraid.

In the mean time I'm having so much fun on these tires!

It's like I found a whole new barrel of confidence or something. I was flying through city traffic like when I was 16 again and on my good old MT50 today. It feels a bit difference of course, but I really don't feel I'm missing any road performance at all on these. The Scorpion Trail on the back seems to perform even better then the BT0023 on the road to be honest. And even though it has a 'w' speed-rating I don't have any problems turning it on even on these colder days. I hope it'll rain soon so I can get a feel for them in the wet too.

The brackets I had to raise the front fender turned out to be just a little to long btw, so I'm still riding without one for now. I don't mind, it's dry this week and it looks rather cool to be honest

I'll already got some new ones though, I just have to drill out the holes for the bolts a bit more and round the edges a bit and then it should fit.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #2744
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

A word of caution Oh crap.... I had a decent run on Sunday on some deliciously twisty roads. I ended up tail end charlie to some sprot bike riders & the pace crept up... The road we were on is not fast, some of the corners are sign posted 35 kmh, most are 55 to 65 kmh. You can usually double that if can see far enough through the corner so we weren't fast enough to overwhelm my suspension but I did end up feeling the MT 90 push out on a couple of corners & had the rear shinko 705 chattering a couple of times on exit. Nothing dramatic but enough to show me they don't have the outright grip of a sports touring tire when pushed. At least they talked to me which is a big thing. I ended up getting my weight further forward into the corners & moving to the inside of the bike slightly, by no means knee down or poser though, just using my weight better. I wasn't scraping the foot rests either, something I used to do on the 021's.
I would say they have 80 - 85% of the grip compared to a dedicated road tire & a flatter profile so not quite as much lean.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #2745
OhCrap
Adventurer

In all honesty I haven't pushed them that hard yet Krumpet. I think I did about a 100kms on them now, and half of that was with the front rear tire rolling in the wrong direction

I still have almost an inch of unused rear-tire left on each side even.

The roads here really don't allow you to go all out this time a year, with wet leaves everywhere and mud tracks on the tarmac from farm traffic. I did have the front step out on me once though, when I finally found a clean fast corner. Nothing to dramatic however, perhaps an inch or two and it got right back on track again afterwards. And I think it was my own fault to be honest, I was a bit jerky on the handle bars for some reason. Perhaps I'm a bit of an odd rider, but rear wheel slides often scare me more then front wheel slides when they come unexpected. My driving style usually doesn't seem to require a lot from the front end of a bike for some reason. Granted, the first owner is responsible for half of it, but I made that BT0021 last the full 31.500km the bike has done so far, and the same goes for the front brake pads. I wish was so easy on the rear too :(

Perhaps that's the reason the BT0021 wasn't as responsive as it once was though, I did just take off a 9 year old tire after all...